The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
    What does "RT" mean in the results?
    Maybe retired? I have no clue but this is my best guess!

Now this might be just me imagining things, but why are some of them looking like they are posting the canter? Or is it just my eyes? ........I am though, drooling over these horses and the fences are gorgous!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

since when does a swopping, falling off your lead, picking up the wrong lead, spooking all get in the 80's!!! come on judges!!!
    WWW.Willoughbystables.com

~Hand It Over ~ Rendition ~ Lyrik HF~ Iliaque ~ Munchkin ~ About Face ~ Coconut Creek ~ Callatos ~Cromwell ~ Ellis ~ Goodman ~ Zeven ~ Bastian ~ Nadia ~ Babette ~

Default Audio

Anyone else having issues with the audio? I can barely hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by coco21 View Post
    Anyone else having issues with the audio? I can barely hear it.
    sound is definitely all over the place but mostly mute!
    www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
    Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

Do you know what class is going right now? I can't hear!

Can anyone explain this trend of posting the canter? The horses and the jumps are just lovely, but it is very distracting to watch and takes away from the whole picture

Quote Originally Posted by coco21 View Post
    Do you know what class is going right now? I can't hear!
    Reg Conf Htr
    www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
    Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

Quote Originally Posted by Reminisce View Post
    Can anyone explain this trend of posting the canter? The horses and the jumps are just lovely, but it is very distracting to watch and takes away from the whole picture
    It's to keep a rhythm, but it is a very exaggerated motion. If you think it's distracting in hunters, kids do it in the equitation

The posting canter drives me nuts!!!! Something else I'm noticing and I feel stupid for saying thing, is that they are releasing uneven. I'm sure there is a reason for it, I could understand if they are doing it over fences where you would be turning right after but they aren't. Like right now Kelly Farmer is on the grey and she went up to the fence with her right hand half way up the horses neck but her left in the normal position. Or sometimes the one half way and the other out like a leading rein but there isn't a corner right there. I admit that the extent of my level of showing at this level is sitting on the couch watching it online so I'm probably missing something about it.

The uneven release, the only thing I can think of is she's trying to (exaggeratedly) give him his head, but retain a little control in-case he tries to duck out.

What gets me is the exaggerated asking for a lead change. They swing their weight/butts to the off side and I keep thinking "oh god, they're going off!" only to see they were just asking for a swap.

Hunters at this point are supposed to look seamless, the posting canter and swinging weight lead changes are not seamless.

And please, if you're showing at this level, wear gloves. Sheesh.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by RxCate View Post
    The uneven release, the only thing I can think of is she's trying to (exaggeratedly) give him his head, but retain a little control in-case he tries to duck out.
    It's not that; it's just intended to sort of soften and lengthen that last stride. I'm prone to do it on occasion—it's actually a nice way to avoid pulling but still feel "secure".

Additionally, despite the naysayers, posting to the canter is quite effective at establishing and maintaining a rhythm.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I hate it the posting of the canter, and all of the other exaggerated things done in todays hunters...sigh.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Traveling between Bloomington and the South Shore

Did anyone else just see the girl on Segaro fall off? She must have totally not been expecting it because that spin didn't seem that bad.

Also, something I noticed at this show last year too was that they didn't do closing circles. Are they asked not to in order to keep the rounds shorter?

I saw it too! I looked up just in time to see him pop up and turn and she came off. I admit that my first reaction was "seriously?" But I didn't see what transpired right before and wasn't sure 1. if she had even started 2. if he had been being goofy right before that. But what I saw didn't look that bad either. Silly horse.

Quote Originally Posted by newenglandnative View Post
    Did anyone else just see the girl on Segaro fall off? She must have totally not been expecting it because that spin didn't seem that bad.

Also, something I noticed at this show last year too was that they didn't do closing circles. Are they asked not to in order to keep the rounds shorter?
    It's the norm to not do a courtesy circle in a handy round.

Traveling between Bloomington and the South Shore

Did they just say that the horse Erica Quinn was riding named Marvelous is owned by Mary Kate Olsen? As in the Mary Kate?

Did they just say that the horse Erica Quinn was riding named Marvelous is owned by Mary Kate Olsen? As in the Mary Kate?
    Probably, she was at WEF this year.

Yes, she purchased him from Vivian Yowan (junior with Tim and Kelly Goguen) in FL this year. Originally, purchased to be a low adult horse for MK, but not sure if she has actually shown him yet or not.

Quote Originally Posted by RxCate View Post

What gets me is the exaggerated asking for a lead change. They swing their weight/butts to the off side and I keep thinking "oh god, they're going off!" only to see they were just asking for a swap.

Hunters at this point are supposed to look seamless, the posting canter and swinging weight lead changes are not seamless.

And please, if you're showing at this level, wear gloves. Sheesh.
    I agree. I hate seeing riders throw themselves into a lead change. Just plain ugly!