The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default $800 to pop an abscess??

Is this the norm or did I just get hosed by the vet?? lol OUCH!

Erm...most likely? I wish we had a sad nodding emoticon, but we don't. Understand I don't think it's smile worthy at all. Unless it was something super specialized, yeah, that's a hose job.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Where was the Abcess?

One of my horses got one on the side of his neck after a shot. Instead of having vet come out we just hot compresed it three times a day, gave him smz tabs and waited. Took about three days of hot compressing and it popped in the bottem so it was easy to drain. We then switched to cold water in a syringe with no needle and washed out the abcess through the natural drain hole. After a few days of doing that we left it alone kept it clean and about five weeks later you couldn'dt even tell he had one.

Same thing had happned to my neighbors horse he spent over 2 grand because he had to have drain tubes put in his horse.

Unless it was a crazy difficult abscess that required some extensive treatment and care, yeah I'd say you may have just gotten hosed.

Barn I board at is super plain, barn I work PT at is super fancy. At the boarding barn we drive beat up old pick-ups, the barn I work at most the boarders drive fancy beamers. Got to comparing notes with the BO where I work at on what her vet charges as the BO where I board has had their vet out at our place a few times. Guess which barn gets charged almost double what the other does for the same exact procedures? I'll give you a hint, it's not the one with the beat up motor home and 20 year old Sundowner sitting in the drive.

You board in a fancy barn by chance?

Without details, can't imagine anyone saying the bill was excessive or not. One trip, or ten? Meds, or no?

I had a $4K+ abscess. Not hoof, but jaw, and required almost daily visits from the vet, x-rays, ultrasound, etc., and took weeks to clear up. I guess my vet bills are high when I read anything was just (3 digits) and think, whew, lucky!

A fellow boarder just had the vet out for a hoof abscess. Her mare has crooked legs and huge quarter cracks that are getting better... the point being very abnormal feet... vet xrayed, dug a big hole in the foot, injected antibiotics in the hole and wrapped it up with sugardine... $400. Mare was not sound when he left and is not sound three days later... tonight I helped rewrap the mare with poltice... we'll see how she looks tomorrow... on the bright side the horses owner got to see that the mares feet are greatly improved since the xrays from when she bought her a year ago.

I've never paid more than $200 for any abcess anywhere to be dealt with.

I'd only expect to pay $800 if it was internal and required surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    At the boarding barn we drive beat up old pick-ups, the barn I work at most the boarders drive fancy beamers. Got to comparing notes with the BO where I work at on what her vet charges as the BO where I board has had their vet out at our place a few times. Guess which barn gets charged almost double what the other does for the same exact procedures? I'll give you a hint, it's not the one with the beat up motor home and 20 year old Sundowner sitting in the drive.
    That is why I have trained my other half that we do not go to the barn in our used, 5 y.o. BMW that we purchased with a few dings and decent miles for 17k. Not exactly big bucks for a car these days. But people assume things....much better to show up in the 11 year old rust bucket truck.

Need more details....hoof? mouth? Strangles?

Whew, if that was a hoof abscess, then you definitely got hosed! (assuming the vet wasn't out multiple times or had to do anything crazy).

I had the vet out for an abscess recently. Total bill was 200, and that included me restocking on bute and buying supplies from the vet (so that I didn't have to go to southern states. I was lazy).
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Need more details....hoof? mouth? Strangles?
    ^
    THIS X 10

Can't tar & feather the vet without more detail.

Even an abcess in the hoof can go South.
    Ask me how I know this?
    8mos of treatment for an abcess near the heel that traveled to the toe sloughing off the sole as it went.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

A few weeks ago one of my horses slashed her eyelid. It was hanging by a quarter inch flap. On Sunday. Vet came out, sedated horsse and probably spent close to an hour checking the cornea and stitching her up. Dispensed SMZ's, a tube of banimine and eye ointment.
    Bill was ~$650
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Erm...most likely? I wish we had a sad nodding emoticon, but we don't. Understand I don't think it's smile worthy at all. Unless it was something super specialized, yeah, that's a hose job.
    No sad emoticon?

It would be excessive if it was a relatively simple one. The closest I've ever paid to an $800 vet bill was a two-night stay for a cat who had a urinary blockage and infection. (I'm sure my parents paid a lot more for my old horse when he needed surgery on an infected leg wound, but that involved being hauled to the vet hospital and general anesthesia!)

Maybe it's a mistake. How was the bill itemized? Did you ask about it?

Did the vet kiss you?

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    No sad emoticon?
    I think Long Spot was looking for sad AND nodding.

THis is not my regular vet. She was busy and couldn't come out that day, so they recommended this vet, from their office. THis was the first time I'd used her.

It was an under the jaw abscess and looked kinda like strangles, but not quite. So she did a PCR first, which came back negative.

In the meantime, it was still growing. It got a huge whitehead on it, and I thought she should lance it rather than having it pop all over the place. So I called her and let her know.

Up in the area where my horses are (yes, it's a rich area. The horses live there, not me. lol) the vet comes out Tues and Thurs and then do a split call charge for everybody. Thurs night I was texting the vet about how big it looked, and it looked like it was going to pop. As it happened, she got a call to the area the next day for an emergency and said she'd come take a look. I got charged a full call charge, even though she came out for the emergency too.

She came out Friday and popped it. No charge for the actual lance and drain. First when she gets there, she says, oh yeah, it's about to pop. She lances it and keeps going deeper and deeper and then finally gets a tiny bit of pus out. She says, well, I knew it wasn't going to pop for another 3-4 days. I'm thinking, if you knew that in the first place, why didn't you say so and leave it alone until TUES. lol

After she lances it, she looks in his mouth looking for the cause of the abscess and notices his teeth need to be done. For that I got an oral exam charge. I didn't ask her to do that, she was doing it as part of the abscess exam, I thought.

She left me some saline, etc, to wash it out. Antibiotics, etc. I don't have any problem with the bill for that stuff. She also cultured the pus in the abscess, not sure if that's normal or necessary or not, but that was another $125

On Sunday I noticed I was almost out of bute and I let her know. She said she was coming to the area Tues and would drop it off. I said, let me know when you're coming by and I"ll meet you. (like I said, I don't live there, so there's nobody around to accept the bute. I guess she could have left it somewhere, but I just figured it would be easier to meet her there.) She stops by, takes a look at the baby's* healing abscess, says, looks great! Hands me the bute and leaves. For that I got dinged a call charge and re-exam fee!

Grand total: $237 (first visit and PCR) + 557 (second and third visit) = $794 bucks to pop an abscess.

I was thinking about disputing the full call charge, the oral exam charge, and the charges when she dropped the bute off. The rest, I guess it is what it is. What do you guys think?

Sheesh, next time I will pop the sucker myself. LOL

And no photos?????

You know how we all love the goopy gross stuff!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Ridiculous.