The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's a fair price to pay for this 8 year old racehorse? UPDATE: ARRIVED IN NEW HOME

Hey racing peeps....

I could use your help in determining a fair price to offer on an 8 year old racing mare. Her name is Rich Debut. I had her dam and have followed Rich Debut's lengthy racing career for 5 years now. Long story short, she is retiring sound (but footsore) after her last race on Wednesday and the trainer has offered to sell her to me for $2000. This feels high for an 8 year old with a lot of starts under her belt and sore feet. Is it? If so, what would be a fair price to offer? The horse is located at Portland Meadows and I would be buying her sight unseen, basically. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Watermark Farm; Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM.

I don't know...equibase has her as multiple stakes placed (cheap, but stakes) and she has a win this year, although she's obviously dropped in class. Two grand isn't a bargain basement price, but I don't think it's totally insane crazy, either. I would offer $1500 and see what that gets you. If you were there and could flash some cash with a trailer waiting to take the horse, $1200 might not be out of line, but if you're long distance, you're going to pay more.

If she's really sound, sounds fair to me. She's a mare with decent bloodlines and no inbreeding so she has value besides riding. The trainer undoubtedly has WAY more than $2k into her. Sore from work goes away with rest--she's an athlete who's been doing an athlete's job, so she's going to be sore and need some rest.

And you'd pay a LOT more for a sport-bred baby who would be unrideable for years after purchase. $2000 is really not a lot of money for a horse. Also, are you prepared for the trainer NOT to take a counter-offer? Could you walk away over a few hundred? (Because I really don't think trying to bargain down too much would be fair.)

I agree with Dancer. If you have been following this mare's career for FIVE years, do you really want to quibble about a few hundred dollars? I have no idea what your intended use is for the mare, but I think the trainer could easily sell the mare for $2K or more. Personally, if I wanted the horse, I would just pay the $2K.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Exclamation

I would check out the "footsore" part very thoroughly!

People have different definitions of "sound".
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Might be they are just trying to cover her training/vet costs for the month...so 2 thousand might be about right.

Unless she's big and sound for sport or well bred enough to produce TB racing babies in this economy that will sell well at auction, $2000 is too much. If she had any real value as a broodmare, she would have been retired long before 8.

However, it sounds like she's worth that much to you and the owner knows it so you're being bilked out of an extra $500-$1000. You probably have to just accept that. I doubt there's anything you can do about it.

I can get any of a dozen or more big young sound pretty nice rideable and/or breedable well-bred mares for free.
    Many of them already in foal, fees paid.
    That said, you probably want *that* mare. I agree its steep (in this day and age where any of 100s of professionals can make the same statement above re: freebies) but that it is well in-line with covering a month's training fees ...
    Email me thru my website if you're interested in freebies, though.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    I agree with Dancer. If you have been following this mare's career for FIVE years, do you really want to quibble about a few hundred dollars? I have no idea what your intended use is for the mare, but I think the trainer could easily sell the mare for $2K or more. Personally, if I wanted the horse, I would just pay the $2K.
    That. I remember that you've posted about her previously. This was the winningest horse in the country through the first half of 2011. She has been very good to them.

Please don't string them along (not that many racing folks will let you string them along ) Either .... or get off the pot.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

$2000 is NOT a lot of money to spend on a horse, especially a mare with this record and bloodline.

Sure, there are freebies and I recall and old foxhunter who always said "even free can be too expensive*!
    (not saying anything against freebie,yes, there are many good ones to be had, nice ones).

I wouldn't haggle the price. Its a mare you know, you like and like enough to have followed her career a long time.

The trainer was upfront about being sore -- ask if he could have a farrier on hand when you go inspect this horse and get that opinion. Go from there.
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Many thanks all. Very helpful. I've been following this mare but this is the first contact I've made with her trainer. He had no idea I existed until yesterday.

I should say that I've never seen this mare in person, have no idea what she even looks like. I don't "like" her because I've never even seen her. I have no interest in breeding her. Purchase would be purely for sentimental reasons as I had her dam and she was a heart horse. I would buy her sight unseen, un-vetted -- all arranged via long distance. Then pull coggins and ship her to CA and hope to God it works out. In other words, it's a little insane.

I'm OK with this not going through, so I'm going to offer him less. But I'm prepared to walk if it just doesn't seem to work out. I have no intention of stringing anyone along.

Thanks again to all of you for your up-front opinions. I really appreciate it and will let you know if I wind up with her.

Sounds like a dream come true! Personally, I'd vet the soreness issue pp.

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

The soreness could be anything -- from actual injury, to simply shoes on too long and feet needing a rest. Could be from track conditions which I know grooms deal with this on a daily basis -- first remedy is pack, or standing in ice.

Most times, changing the riding footing and if possible turnout on nice grassy or soft ground will help the retiree.

New horses coming in to our farm are always refitted with polo lite rim shoes, offering an easier break over and grip, plus a middle weight for adjustment -- riding on grassy trails and rubber footing in rings, makes the transition much easier.

OP, I dont think you're crazy, usually adventures like this turn out the best! I wish you good luck and do keep us posted.
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark Farm View Post
    Hey racing peeps....

I could use your help in determining a fair price to offer on an 8 year old racing mare. Her name is Rich Debut. I had her dam and have followed Rich Debut's lengthy racing career for 5 years now. Long story short, she is retiring sound (but footsore) after her last race on Wednesday and the trainer has offered to sell her to me for $2000. This feels high for an 8 year old with a lot of starts under her belt and sore feet. Is it? If so, what would be a fair price to offer? The horse is located at Portland Meadows and I would be buying her sight unseen, basically. Thanks in advance!
    Where is this horse? I am thinking of bringing a mare out to Washington State since I do not have any networks out here to find off the track horses and I am scared of getting one without some prior knowledge of how they were "treated". I think this is very game of you to try this and I applaud your efforts. Just find a reputable company though because I have heard some real cross country nightmares (no pun intended).
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Got her for $1000 and will be shipping her this week to Colorado to live with her dam's owners, who have offered Rich Debut a long rest, retraining, and a permanent spot in their family. Great outcome for Rich Debut, she is going home to her mama!

Thanks everyone!

YAY! Congrats! I've been watching this thread to see what happened!

The last racing owners on Equibase are "The Kids." I see that two ways: a group of people who are gleeful about their hobby of horseracing and call themselves The Kids, or a couple whose kids are attached to the mare, so the owner's name evolved to reflect that affection. Of course there could be any number of possibilities, but I'm betting on the latter, and that this couple and their kids are thrilled to see a good retirement home for their race horse.

I got one of my horses the same way, by contacting the owners and letting them know I own the dam. I was lucky (or I should say the horse was lucky) to have them give her to me, and she is happily eating alfalfa with her mom. Some of the offspring were not so lucky. I contacted the trainer of a gelding in New Mexico and offered him references (barn owner, farrier and vet) if he wanted to retire the horse to me or sell it for a modest price, since it was consistently losing and had never even placed. He said he was having trouble keeping weight on it but was going to try some other things. After a few months of not seeing the gelding run, I called and the trainer didn't return my call. I suspect he sent it to slaughter.

One thing I learned from that is to be less tentative. Instead of saying, "oh, keep me in mind...," I was more specific with the other horse and said, "I want her, I will pay shipping, I will call back in a few months in case you lose my number" and followed up with emails, including my name, address, address of boarding barn, names of farrier and vet, etc. I was polite and informative but made sure I did not sound demanding or entitled.

Another thing I should have done differently with the gelding was to offer a reasonable sum of money. If I had said, "I will pay you $1000 when you get ready to sell. This offer is good for one year," and sent a $100 non-binding deposit, that would have gotten his attention. I was tentative because I really didn't want another horse, I just wanted to make sure that particular one was okay. But I learned from that.

You did everything right. How nice for that mare! Congratulations!

Got her for $1000 and will be shipping her this week to Colorado to live with her dam's owners, who have offered Rich Debut a long rest, retraining, and a permanent spot in their family. Great outcome for Rich Debut, she is going home to her mama!

Thanks everyone!
    Wow that was fast. Great outcome!
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

That's so awesome! Keep us posted on how she's doing!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Thanks everyone!
    What a sweet, happy story! Kudos to you for making sure this deserving gal gets a good home.