The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Flight of the Roany Pony

Okay, I wasn't going to post about this because, frankly, in the eventing scheme of things, jumping your pony over his first tiny cross country jump isn't that big of a deal...

But, I just have to. Because it's made my week and I think all of us have had very similar moments, albeit in different ways.

I've had 4-year-old baby Rally (real name, Admiral; a COTHer helped me come up with his barn name 4 years ago!) since he was just a wee 4-month-old weanling.

Some of you may remember my previous event horse Traveler--a horse of a lifetime and one that was tragically taken from my husband Aaron and me much too soon. It's been 6 years since then...and a little over a year after we lost him I felt like maybe it was time to start looking for a new equine friend...even though you are terrified because you don't ever want to go through the pain of losing another.

Enter a tiny foal, whose picture I found on the Internet when doing a search on "bay roan Welsh thoroughbred." Weird search? I know! My husband and I had a lovely bay roan Welsh driving pony at that time and I thought that perhaps the same thing, with a little thoroughbred blood, may make a nice little eventer for me (my aspirations of Prelim disappeared along with the long format). I hadn't quite planned on a baby, though!

Here's the infamous Internet picture that I bought little Rally from (he was in Georgia...I never met him until the day he came off the trailer at our farm):
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=531067589d

And very long story short, after 4 wonderful years of raising my boy and being the only person on his back (well, Aaron had a brief few minutes but I don't share my pony well ), we did our official first cross country lesson this week. He's come a long way (pardon my rusty position LOL!):
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...3&l=874829bcb3

We have a long way to go before we actually get to an event, but the feeling of flying on your wonderful equine friend is the best feeling in the world!

I just love this face!
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8&l=c86297a254

Thanks for letting me share my little moment of happiness!

(Yup, sappy old me got all blubbery this morning when I came across a Mother's Day note my parents sent me a few years ago that said: Happy Mother's Day to the best mommy in the world. It was signed by all my 4-legged children.)
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

thats great

You look great together! He does have a sweet face (and it looks like he has some jumping talent as well).

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    You look great together! He does have a sweet face (and it looks like he has some jumping talent as well).
    Agree!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Is his show name "Only the Roanly"? I love that one! Lol. You both look great!

What a cutie!

Squee!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

KellyS,

I remember your pain in the loss of Traveler four years ago.

You have been blessed with another lovely boy. Thanks for sharing your story about how you found him. Sometimes you just know that they are supposed to be a part of your family.

I sold my homebred on a Tuesday and found my heart horse the following Saturday. She has been with me for ten years now.

I, too, think your guy is a cutie pie. He is quite nice over fences, too. I am so happy for you!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Those pictures just made my day. What a cutie-patootie!!

From weaning to wonder pony. Love it!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Default HURRAY!!!! Love that Roany Pony!...

...and YOU!!!! So happy for you, Kelly - you've had to go through so much since Traveler had to leave you - so lovely that you are able to take this baby and help him become a big horse too. Kick on! Love you!!!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Well he isn't jumping it like it was a teeny fence, that's a nice effort over the log. You two look great together!!!! Congratulations and thanks for sharing a happy moment.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Yay thanks for sharing - there's no such thing as pictures of cute roan ponies like him!
    “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

That is one of the cutest eventing ponies I've ever seen! Congrats on your accomplishment, I know how it feels!

aweeeeeeeeeeeeeee! he is too cute!!

So happy for you and Rally.

You've all made me teary eyed again. He is just the sweetest guy ever and the bright spot in my darkest days. When they are little guys you have all these hopes and dreams for them, and to finally start achieving them is so much fun.

We've had quite the little COTH family of horses grow up here over the years since I joined 12 years ago!
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com