The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Name This Bird

He was soaring at the back of my property this afternoon (some kind of hawk? Not flapping, soaring). I caught him just as he landed briefly. He definitely noticed me, but he had that arrogant "you mean nothing in my universe" air. I'd call him a strawberry roan, maybe 3-4 foot wingspan.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...awk3092812.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...awk2092812.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...Hawk092812.jpg

Probably first year Redtail - they don't have red tails till at least their second year. I'll have to ask my falconer hubby when he's done feeding.

His name is...Aloysius. There. He's named.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Juvenile Red Tail Hawk, common as Robins around here...they love the freeway medians here.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I always see them perched on something near the hayfield waiting for mice. One flew low over our outside ring this summer making its screaming noise & one horse (Arab, natch) looked straight up at it, almost pointing with his nose. It was kind of funny.

This is a cool site b/c you can look at 'similar species' & different morphs if you aren't sure about what you saw:
    http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-tailed_Hawk/id#similar

What a great series of pictures! They are such cool shots of his attitude- even if the quality isn't natl'geo.

Looks like a redtailed hawk to me too.

Early last spring there was one who often hunted field mice from on top of one of my fenceposts... there was another that was a lighter honey color. I assumed they were a pair, but didn't know who was who till one day I happened to be looking when one flew towards the other perched on a post- and I thought- "Where the heck does he think he's gonna land?" and wham bam thank you ma'am... I now knew which was the male and which was the famale. What a thing to witness!

Anyway- there is a lot of color variation in redtails.

And Suze! Your DH is a falconer!!?? How cool is that!? Does he do it from horseback too? (I'm still super impressed even if he doesn't) Do you have pictures of his bird/s? ... that doesn't sound right does it.?

I also think it's a Red Tailed hawk...not cause I'm an expert or anything, but I just watched a show on television yesterday about them!

I vote Redtailed Hawk too...we have loads of them around here.

I've seen an osprey fishing in ponds at a farm nearby. Hubby first thought it was a bald eagle-- but upon closer inspection it has a white head with black eye streaks. I didn't know quite what it was (it was NOT a redtail hawk!) but thanks to the link above I figured it out. The osprey has distinctive "M" wings when flying, and it flaps a lot compared to vultures and hawks. It is so neat to watch it fish-- diving straight down into the water, feet first, so fast and steep that it submerges itself. Then it flies up dripping with water, hopefully with a fish in its talons. The ponds are fully stocked with bass and bluegill, and with the dry summer the water level is way down (making for easy pickings). I didn't know we could have osprey here in central Kentucky, but it's a fascinating bird.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Yep, red-tailed hawk. Did you know that their call is what is commonly used in TV/movies as an eagle scream?

Best audio example I've hear is about halfway down this page: http://allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-tailed_Hawk/sounds
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Emryss View Post
    His name is...Aloysius. There. He's named.

....that's what I was prepared to do! Beats the "need a show name" threads!