The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Heacock trailers...

I'm interested in an older heacock trailer. I have two warmbloods and an AQHA. I don't know much about these trailers except that they are made in California and they are similar to brenderup-which is a plus to me because I can haul with my Durango because thy are light. I just sold my older circle j because it was rusty and getting on its last leg. Plus my AQHA was reluctant to get in it. Im Assuming she was hard to load because it was a straight load and the middle divider was too hard to move over and it felt claustrophobic . Because of the size of my biggest (17.1 h) and the difficulty of loading the other horse, I am leaning towards a slant load- but I really like the openness of this heacock and I feel my stubborn loader will get in because it looks very bright and welcoming and the height is 7'2". Anyway, any info on this brand will be very helpful! This will be my second trailer

Bump? Anyone?

I'm subscribing/bumping for you as I'm interested in responses as well
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

They are/were made in Glendale and I've always heard nice things about them. I wouldn't consider them comparable to brenderup; they're really more conventional in construction. I was shopping for a gooseneck trailer, so I never considered them when I was shopping even though they were only a few minutes from my house. I haven't used one personally.

They seem to know their stuff and that they still exist is a pretty impressive feat.

For a big horse, you *don't* generally want a slant load trailer - they're not long enough in the body for the big horses unless they're custom made with longer stalls.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Thanks, P!

They do make gooseneck trailers, too and the one I was looking at is so tempting but I just couldnt fine any information via research on them. I think it's a "niche" crowd/local folks that know/love them.

OP - sorry for hijacking your thread.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Hijack away, the trailer has been sold, but its nice to still get info in cases run into another. We shall see what's at the expo this year!

I just bought a used one. I have a 17.1 h mare that shunned my old CJ trailer. This Heacock is 7 '4" and very open. I had two new butt bars made so that I could move the center divider over 3/4 of the way to give her e ven more room. It has a huge walk-in tack room (which I really don't need, but is nice) and so I was a bit afraid of how it would pull but I love it. I don't even feel it behind me. The only thing I would change is I would put the tie ring that's in the front, toward the middle of the trailer so that I could hang a hay net there instead of towards the outside.
    Edited to add: Mine is a straight load with a ramp. And I agree with poltroon about the slant loads - just not long enough for a big horse.

I had one for several years. They're a traditional trailer, nothing like a brenderup.

The company is very nice to deal with and stands behind their product. Mine was always solid, but I found it didn't travel that well with only one horse in because the springs were so tough that it bounced a little if it didn't have enough weight.

I bought my 2-horse straightload gooseneck used for $750, used it for 5 years, then Heacock bought it back from me for $5000.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com