The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Birmingham area, AL... i.e. crispy crunchy everything land!

Default Saddle fit for sharkfin withers, recommendations?

I am leasing a mid-level dressage horse, an OTTB who belongs to a friend of mine, and we had the chiropractor out last weekend. She says he's back sore and that there's a chance it's my saddle but that it's possible it may be from saddles he's been ridden in the past. There's just no telling. I'm having the saddle fitter come out hopefully next weekend (he's an independent, not associated with any particular saddle maker). Right now I own a very nice Albion Style, which is about the same as the SL (I think it's just the older version of the SL). For those of you who also have a horse with high, shark fin style withers, what have you had most success with when trying to fit your kids? I don't think there will be any adjusting my Albion to fit him, it dips too low in the front. Haha, anybody want to send me your extra saddles that would fit him on trial?
    When life throws you lemons, put on your best Asian accent and scream "Faaack yuuuu Rehmooohns!" (says yours truly, the half-Japanese kid )

My Pony Blog Dressage & My Horsey Life

I find the Wintecs are some of the best with those TB backs.

I have an older Roosli Pilatus, medium tree, that fits most TBs I've had it on really well. Lots of room for withers and a banana shaped tree for a curvy back.

My county perfection, MN tree w/ "skid row panels" was GREAT for my old OTTB.
    I will say that thru some fluke of genetics and/or training- not mine- he was "the most symetrical" horse the fitter said she had ever done. But that didn't change the fact that he had those withers!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

One of my students has a shark fin TB which goes well in a keiffer wein, but knowing how you are built, you may find the seat too deep.
    Of course I'm going to recommend the passier grand Gilbert because it fits you, and it fits every horse I've put it on that doesn't need a hoop tree. Unfortunately they are in an inflated phase on eBay.
    County is a good option too, I personally don't care for their twist.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I have a shark fin tb and he really seems to love my corbette futura, leaves his shoulders and back free. I tried a ton of saddles before I got that one.

I have a shark finned, very short backed holsteiner/TB cross.
    I had an albion platinum ultima custom made for him, but I own him and plan on having him a long time.
    For leasing purposes I am sure you don't want to buy.
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Cut back saddles are your friends with shark fin withers. Far as I know, Kieffer and Passier still make one or two.

You ought to be able to find very used ones that are not so expensive.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I still covet a Black Country Eden. With a front gusset, it fit my high withered TB so beautifully.

What I got was a Custom Icon Flight. While I love it, I actually loved the BC better............I'm still dreaming of buying one!
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

my shark finned withered, ( mount witherest) Tb loved my L'Apogee.... never a sore back and he moved great in it.....
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

I've had good luck making a shim out of a walmart camp pad. picture a half pad, but cut a slot wide enough to give spine clearance from the front of the pad as far back as you need to clear the withers (this also works great on the ones with ridiculously set back withers.) When you tack up, double check that the front "wings" are pulled up enough to support the front of the saddle-they tend to slide down if you don't pay attention. This seems to increase clearance while not interfering significantly with overall saddle fit, and at <$10/roll, sure beats a new saddle ;-) Hope that made sense! shoot me a pm if you want more clarification and I'll try to post a picture.
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Birmingham area, AL... i.e. crispy crunchy everything land!

I've never tried a good number of the suggestions you guys have made, thanks! I do love a Passier. Wintec is nice and light, but they put me in too much of a chair seat and you just can't beat good leather. I've heard great things about County saddles from various friends. What's the deal with their twist? I prefer a really narrow twist.

Tas/PSJ is right, I'm built a particular way. I'm 5'5" but I have a really long thigh, and I have a very, ahem, curvaceous derriere, so I can't do a very deep seat. My Albion has too deep of a seat, so it's probably a good thing that I'm going to get rid of it. I appreciate the suggestion of shimming, but I've already tried that with more expensive risers that I already own from previous horses, and it just isn't working for the poor guy.

The general goal is to hopefully sell my Albion and get a decent return on it, then hopefully have something already lined up that we can get into right away. I'd love another Passier that is big enough for me. The trick is just finding something shallow enough for my cush-tush and narrow enough for those withers! My Albion is a medium width AND a cut back, and it tips too low in the front because of how narrow he is.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions!
    When life throws you lemons, put on your best Asian accent and scream "Faaack yuuuu Rehmooohns!" (says yours truly, the half-Japanese kid )

My Pony Blog Dressage & My Horsey Life

you should take some detailed photos of his back and post them
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I use the isabel bates and have had no trouble. Started with a med/narrow now needs a med
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

County works well for my friend's semi-shark withered horse!

My County Connection works well for my two TBs. I find the stirrup bars a bit too far forward for me, however. I've put a bit of a riser in the back and use martingale rings to move the leathers back a little. Ideally I should spend the money and get longer stirrup bars.

I had an older version Custom Saddlery Victory that worked well on my shark-withered TB. The saddle has long been sold -- my old guy is retired now.
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht