The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite blanket brands for an outside horse?

What brands have you found hold up to the daily wear and tear of living outside? I live in the South, so I don't need anything for super cold or snowy winters. I do need a style that comes in an 84 (big beast!).

Thanks! This is my first outside-living horse, so I am unsure of what blanket to get him.
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Horsewear Ireland blankets by far is the best in my book, Rambo being the best. I had a horse that wore an 87 and he had his blankets for years. My current horse is an 81 and he has the Rambo Duo with the removable liners and its fantastic and still looks brand new after a year of using it, and he gets them dirty and his fieldmate thought it was fun to pull and play with his blankets. For warmer Fall/Spring nights he has the Amigo Hero sheet. After three years, only last year did I have to patch up small pencil sized holes.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Thanks! On the Rambo Duo, what's the neck fit like? My horse has the thickest neck ever, being a Perch cross. I worry about the neck portions being too small on combo blankets.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    Thanks! On the Rambo Duo, what's the neck fit like? My horse has the thickest neck ever, being a Perch cross. I worry about the neck portions being too small on combo blankets.
    Check out the Amigo XL line. They are specifically marketed towards bigger horses. I love my Amigo Bravo 12 sheet, very affordable and durable!

Quote Originally Posted by Heliodoro View Post
    Check out the Amigo XL line. They are specifically marketed towards bigger horses. I love my Amigo Bravo 12 sheet, very affordable and durable!
    Thanks! Wasn't familiar with this brand, but looks like a good idea for my beast. Poor guy gets fat just looking at air.

Default Rambo HIgh Neck Rain Sheet

Believe it or not I got this great blankie at a garage sale. It by-far is better than the others I've used. Easy on, easy off, light, good fit for my high-wither big shoulder arab. LOVE IT!!!!

Neck fits my guy well, but has room. My guy is a 17H TB that is built like a WB and the beck piece doesn't slouch but there is more room if his neck was bigger. His blanket is an 81 though, so I would imagine if you got an 84 it would come with a hood either the same size or probably a size up.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

I love my Big D Magnum blanket/sheet and I have a Shire's sheet that is REALLY nice... I don't like Rambo's but I may be the only person who doesn't...

Rambo all the way. I haven't found a better quality or better fit blanket!

Rambo or Rhino ONLY lol!

What kind of horse is it?

For my Appendix/TB types, I can't beat the Big D Magnum. Awesome blanket that lasts very well. Mine is on year 3 of all-winter wear and is in perfect condition.

I also like the Smartpak Thinsulate. It is lightweight and warm, pretty sturdy though not as sturdy as my Big D.

For a more WB-shape horse, the Big D is going to be tight in the shoulders. My horses with that shape do better in Rambos.

Rhino/Amigos suck, my horses ruin them in a day. Literally, put BRAND NEW one on horse one night, went out the next morning and found a naked horse and a pile of tattered Amigo behind the run-in. Colossal waste of $100-odd bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    What kind of horse is it?

For my Appendix/TB types, I can't beat the Big D Magnum. Awesome blanket that lasts very well. Mine is on year 3 of all-winter wear and is in perfect condition.

I also like the Smartpak Thinsulate. It is lightweight and warm, pretty sturdy though not as sturdy as my Big D.

For a more WB-shape horse, the Big D is going to be tight in the shoulders. My horses with that shape do better in Rambos.

Rhino/Amigos suck, my horses ruin them in a day. Literally, put BRAND NEW one on horse one night, went out the next morning and found a naked horse and a pile of tattered AmiKgo behind the run-in. Colossal waste of $100-odd bucks.

Good to know. It's for a chunky Perch/TB cross with a huge neck and shoulders

Rambo Original or Dover Rider's International, hands-down. And we've had a herd of 21 testing 'em for 19 years. These are the ones they don't get off, rip, ruin, or otherwise destroy!

Unless you're near the North Pole, if your horse has a natural winter coat avoid all the new funky fits--esp. anything with a high neckline. They get waaaaay too hot in them and sweat up. I actually like a medium-weight rather than a heavy as it works across a much broader spectrum of the weather we have here at around 41 degrees north latitude.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I have a Dover Rider's International that is about ten years old. Now I don't blanket all the time in Mississippi and have run in sheds, but I've treated the outside twice with waterproofing. The blanket still looks like new.

They are incredibly good value for the money.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Another vote for Rambo. I have one that is over 10 years old and still going.

I really like the Rider's International blankets. The horses can spend the day out in the rain (their own decision, of course!), and will come in dry.

Personally, I haven't had any luck with the Rambo & Rhino line. They do not fit my TB's big shoulders, wither, and neck. I've purchased a couple used from fellow barn-mates for my other horses with less bulk, and I notice that across the board, the fittings are cheap. The buckles break, surcingles are sewn on poorly, velcro comes off - yes, these are second-hand, but the blankets have never been more than 2yrs old & well taken care of...not what I'd expect given their original price. I do have an ancient Amigo stable-blanket that is great, however, it's a layering piece with a very inexpensive 'new' tag

Used to be a big fan of the Schneider's stuff, but, quality control seems o be an issue. Their customer-service is OK, but, whenever a product fails, it's a PITA & time consuming. When the failed item is a brand-new T/O sheet, for a new horse, and it fails - leaving you sheet-less when you need it, there's only so much a rep can do to fix things. I needed the sheet when I ordered it, not once I found out it wasn't waterproof. Didn't want to make that phone call, didn't have time to make it either. Or the cooler that arrived with a hole in the seam...what you get for a great price, some items will fall through the cracks, but, with brands like Dovers a few bucks more?

Rambo QH or Amigo XL - both fit "big" horses nicely.

I have a blanket someone gave me years ago with no brand on it....it's outlasted every blanket I've ever had! I should post a picture some time and see if anyone recognizes it!

Since you are in the south and don't need a heavyweight blanket, I love my Weatherbeeta Oricons... and they come in an 84". Mine have lasted for 6years so far with a field wash every spring, and I recoat them with the waterproofing "stuff" about every other year, just in case. It's moderately priced, but still has the 1200D outer coating, and it has held up well for my beasts who run, play, and have their daily roll in the winter mud and rocks here in central KY. And it keeps them from being morose and destructive in the run-in sheds when it's windy and wet, since they are comfortable out in the elements in their blankets.

I love my Rambo original midweights..Some I have had for 10 years. Love them!