The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I have made a truly appalling discovery

Stinkbugs can survive the delicate cycle in my washing machine.

This summer, I put up shade cloth outside the dutch doors to my stalls so that the morning sun wouldn't heat up the barn as badly on those blazingly hot days of summer. It's cooling off now, so I decided to take them down, wash them, and put them away for the winter.

I thought I had shaken off all the stinkbugs, but no. I pulled the cloths out of the washing machine and heard "plunk"..."plunk"..."plunk" as they hit the ground. And then started moving! Ugh, nastiness. I had to quickly scoop them all up and throw them in the closest container I could find, which happened to be the grease jar we keep under the sink.

Foul, foul, foul. Consider yourself warned as you wash and put away summer things. Apparently my farm has turned into Stinkbug Breeding Central. I spent about 15 minutes in the tack room yesterday, scooping them up and throwing them into a mayonnaise jar filled with dish soap (aka the Stinkbug Chamber O' Death). I barely made a dent in the population.

Curse that shipping container that brought these nasties to our shores!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

HORRORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That. Is. Not. Cool.

centipedes can do it too.

What are stinkbugs?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I live bordered on two sides by several hundred acres of corn fields. Stink bugs apparently love corn (or soybeans on alternate years). They come to my house by the thousands (and no, I am not exaggerating) because they think it is a big rock on which to hibernate.

Absorbine Ultra shield in the black bottle will kill them. Spray it directly on them or around windows and doors. They will die when they try to crawl through it.

Even my sister who is anti almost every insecticide known to man asks me to give her some of mine. It's the only thing we've found that works at all.

Use caution around cats as it is toxic to them.

I kill them by the truckload and If I can limit the infestation in my house to under a few hundred I consider it a success.

This was the result a couple of years ago when I first tried the Ultra Shield. I was thrilled with the result that day. I killed all these in just my bedroom by spraying the window air conditioner and around the door that opens on to the deck.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Freaking disgusting things. We didn't have many last year, but they do seem to be back with a vengeance just this week. Be sure to check the insides of your doors. They like to crawl in there and hang out. I have to do a four door plus trunk check when I leave the barn so I'm not carrying that nasties home. I also spray the inside of all the doors, too, just for good measure. I don't care if I'm poisoning myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post

Absorbine Ultra shield in the black bottle will kill them. Spray it directly on them or around windows and doors. They will die when they try to crawl through it.
    Good to know! I will stop at the tack shop and pick up some.

Last year wasn't so bad, but the year before I filled--FILLED!--a plastic kitty litter container with the dead ones in a diabolical genocide solution of bleach and dish soap. This year they are worse than ever. They crawl into the frame of the door when I open the tack room, and then when I close it I get the "crunch." Ugh, hurl. Yesterday, one flew right into my young horse's head while I was leading him out of his stall. And the second I put my saddle back on the rack, they are crawling all over it and trying to get up under the skirt and in the crevices.

The one thing that they don't invade is my bag of peppermints, which leads me to believe that peppermint oil might possible be a detractant.

SuckerForHorses, check the wiki link in my original post. That will tell you all about the little bastards.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

The yellow antibacterial Windex also kills them when applied to their undersides. It appears to hit their neuological centers and cause seizures and then death. One spritz on their exposed underside (while they are clinging to your window screens or doors) will render them dead within 30 seconds.

We found this hint online last year, but all the yellow Windex in EVERY store had been cleaned off the shelves . Guess everyone else had read that online report before we had. We finally found a bottle, tried it...and yahoo! It kills them dead.

You do need to spray their white underside - their wing shields are impervious to everything except your foot or hand crushing them dead.

This year we stocked up before the rush - at 2.49 a bottle, we can kill a lot of those horrid alien pests. Plus it's not toxic to pets.

We also moved the shop vac into the barn to vaccum them up. Works great..if you can tolerate the smell. They die in the vac's container pretty quickly.

IIRC I believe it was a Kia overseas car container delivered to Allentown (??) PA that brought the first batch in.

Sing - I might experiment with some peppermint oil sprayed on a window screen to see if it does deter them.
    Last edited by 5chestnuts; Sep. 29, 2012 at 09:31 AM.

You just gave them a little bath...so now you have Clean Stink Bugs!

We started to have an infestation a few years back. We had to have the exterminator out every few months to take care of them. As I was getting ready to move out of the house I went into the attic and stepped on something that "crunched". I turned on the lights and there were thousands of carcasses on the floor. It was disgusting!

They usually don't cause the house any harm, but apparently once they decide it's good breeding grounds they're almost impossible to get rid of!

Cypermethrin is the only thing "known" to kill them, and if you line your windows with it, it cuts down on the infestation.
    Ugh, I did not know they were machine washable!

*shudder*

My Stink Pots (tm) ie dishsoap water of doom, are my traditional standbys, but a guy at the yardsale after my lessons the other day swore by alcohol and dishsoap sprayed on them. I noticed it was in a windex bottle and couldn't help thinking of My Big Fat Greek Wedding....

Good luck!
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I had one survive the washer AND DRYER!! WTF??!

They are the Devil
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse