The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How much for a 1/2 lease?

What is the going rate these days for a half, on farm lease? Half of board/farrier? Other? I haven't leased a horse for probably 15 years so have no idea!

Background: I'm considering leasing my horse out starting this fall for the winter and next competition season. Work has just gotten too hectic to get out to ride 5 days/week, and I'm killing myself trying to do that. Horse is solid Novice with a great competition record. He's not quite bold enough XC to move up to Training level, but definitely has the scope so just need a lot of schooling. He also is solid 1st level dressage, and would be ready for 2nd level by next Spring w/ the right rider. Horse is in Area II, nice facility w/ trails, multiple outdoor rings, and indoor.
    Last edited by Sonoma City; Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:17 AM.

I did a half lease on a 4 year old Akhal teke filly this summer and I just payed half of the board. Of course I'm not sure if this is true for most people, just for me.

yup. cut the bills 50/50.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Ok, thanks for the replies! One more question...is it reasonable in a half lease situation where the person only rides 3 days/week to require weekly lessons? What's the normal protocol for this? Is bi-weekly lessons more realistic?

I think weekly lessons is acceptable. That's what I did. However if something happens to come up for them and they can't have one the lessor should just let it slide.

1/2 the board, 1/2 the farrier. I have more what you might call a 3/4 lease (I ride the horse most of the time), so I also pay all of the vet and insurance, buy the blankets, etc.

1/2 board, 1/2 farrier... debatable on whether or not you want to do 1/2 of the yearly vet bill. One lesson a week is perfectly reasonable.

When I leased it was 1/2 board,vet,farrier,insurance(horse was insured for mortality and colic). This was a 1 year + lease commitment though.

If horse needs injections or anything like legend and you want them to pay for it then be upfront about it. We paid for 1/2 of all vet bills that horse required and 1/2 of supplements.

The person we leased from required lessons if we were having issues. Otherwise she didn't care as long as horse was doing things correctly. etc. I usually took weekly lessons but sometimes trainers are gone for a week and you can't get a lesson. Keep that in mind.

At my barn we do half board + $250/month to the owner for expenses. Seems to work out pretty well.

When I half-leased, we split the board 50/50. I paid all expenses for showing, gave them the ribbons and kept the tests (dressage horse in this instance). They did not charge me an extra fee for showing. We split the cost of the coggins but not the other vet fees, nor the shoeing.

Around here, it'd be tough to find a taker for 'half expenses, plus $250 on top of that'. The horse would have to be a brilliant, sound, competitive/schoolmaster type with a show record to justify that extra $250. Most offered half leases here are just normal horses, they need to be brought along a bit, they are not usually completely 'made' horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeternitee View Post
    Around here, it'd be tough to find a taker for 'half expenses, plus $250 on top of that'. The horse would have to be a brilliant, sound, competitive/schoolmaster type with a show record to justify that extra $250. Most offered half leases here are just normal horses, they need to be brought along a bit, they are not usually completely 'made' horses.
    If you're quoting me, I didn't say half expenses plus $250/month to the owner. I said half the horse's board and $250/month to the owner for expenses. The owner is responsible for shoes, vet, insurance, etc. If you have an easy keeper that doesn't go in shoes (unlike mine) it's a pretty good deal.

It keeps the math simple and consistent, which I think helps most horse people