The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

For jumper type, bloodlines and ability + conformation hunter show record (+ height, + Old. NA approval....), look at Cunningham (and maybe do a search on him in these forums). You can see my 2 colts + a filly foaled and started here on my website. (All 3 are out of TB mares.)

I'm going to suggest Cunningham. He crosses well with Tb's. You will get jump, it should be attractive, and though he may not be short in the back, there is plenty of muscle & power back there. His foals have that extra bit of athleticism that might not make them the ideal every hunter-breeding foal, but, as a rider, it's what you're looking for. His sister just came in 5th at the Olympics. You are not lacking jump with this horse. I think he is a very interesting stallion for us to have here in the US, possibly more so as a jumper-sire than a hunter-sire. I hope some of his foals out of TB dams make it into the jumper ring, they could be something special. He also managed being a competition horse, while being a stallion, so there's an amount of soundness implied. His sister must have this as well, you don't make it through the training to eventually become a Olympic-horse without some durability. Yes, perhaps they have an aire of arrogance, but Cassini I was oozing in confidence & class, and it's a pretty cool trait to see passed along (undoubtedly born with it, when discussing nature v nurture).

Quote Originally Posted by jess435 View Post
    I agree there are a ton of options. It's making this a hard decision . I adore ironman! I havent looked at concerto grosso but I will now. I want to use fresh cooled seamen. Is it still relatively easy to get pregnancies out if some of these older stallions? I know each mare is different but I would like a horse with a pretty good conception rate.
    We bred to Concerto Grosso twice this year. Semen was excellent and caught on the first try each time. Can't wait for our babies next April!

I know his son, Counterpoint is doing really well in the 5-yo young jumper classes. I talked to a trainer who started a few of his offspring before I decided on him for my mare. They said he throws BIG, elastic and user-friendly.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

You've got some great suggestions in here. I'll ditto the suggestion of Landkoenig, have seen some very very nice offspring out of TB mares. They move well and jump well and are usually fairly big.

Love the suggestion of Apiro as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RanchoAdobe View Post
    I have another premium GOV colt by Apiro out of a TB mare- and you will get height. Another vote for Apiro, but not sure if he is being offered fresh this year.
    I co-own ( with another COTHER) a very nice 3yr old by Apiro. His dam was also the dam of Sea Accounts who is approved with several registries including GOV.
    This colt is a half brother to Sea Accounts so the talent could have come from both sides of family but we are very pleased with how he turned out.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Lankoenig, Apiro, Ironman are all very good choices for a TB mare. I have been enormously impressed with this guy...............http://www.turningpointfarm.com/?page_id=8

Tantris is one of those older guys you were referring to. We are now seeing a rare phenomenon in American stallions. Tantris mares are now showing up at inspections and breed shows and really showing that he is really really a good producer of not only performance horses, but breeding stock as well. And the rare phenomenon? He is still alive to breed to AFTER we have figured this out. So if you get a filly, the likelyhood is that you will also have good breeding material down the line!
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

jess435 is offline Training Level Premium Member
    Original Poster

Default Richard

Thanks for telling me about the fresh semen option. I like Richard but he had been taken off my list since he was only frozen. He is back on now for more research.

Thanks for telling me about the fresh semen option. I like Richard but he had been taken off my list since he was only frozen. He is back on now for more research.
    You are welcome We are planning on housing him near Ocala for several months this summer so that we can offer fresh semen. The frequent trips from our farm to the collecting station in Ocala were just too hard on him in the Florida heat (it was a 4-5 hr round trip in a trailer ). We have had such good interest in him that it will justify the extended stay and we found a farm that we trust to house him for us
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

Original Poster

I'm getting into the research now. Coronimo, Tantris, and Apiro are new to me so I'm looking closely at them. Apiro especially appears to be popular. I do have Cunningham, Valentino Z, Ironman, Amazing, Landkoenig, and Richard on my short list. I see that Concerto GRosso is popular. Does anyone know if more jumping video? I couldnt find much. I have a couple others I wondered about too. Cabardino, For Play, Hercules, More Than Luck, Paparazzo, Sir Caletto. Any insite into these horses? I'm pleased to find my list really shortening to some nice stallions.

Original Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGy0fnt1TbI&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh0pWKuCUQo&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSQY_m_Gous&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSQY_m_Gous&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF7qd9z_INg&feature=plcp

Here are some videos of Rosie in 3' Jumpers and 3' hunters when she was 6 years old. She is competing at 3'3" and 3'6" this weekend, so I will get some video up after that. I hope this helps everyone.

I have a 16.3hh 6 year old by Coromino, out of a Trakehner mare. She is a gorgeous mover and is showing super jumping form and willingness (got her from a dressage barn so we are taking the intro to jumping slowly!) She's athletic and lovely but was absolutely purchased for her amazing temperament - sweet and kind as the day is long. Very easy to work around and a blast to ride.

I taught at a farm where Coromino was boarded a few years back - remember him being very well mannered, stunning to look at, with a great jump. When I read my mare's sale ad it was his name that piqued my interest. I have not been disappointed, so I hope you give him a look!

Having seen the videos, I'd send you in a different direction... Westporte. Approved Old NA, and he puts really lovely, leggy, elegant foals on the ground out of TB mares. Good movement, good jump, good brains.

Has quite a few young horses out showing successfully now, including two from our barn, and the owner of one liked him so much she went and bought another Westporte 3yo.

http://www.countrylanewarmbloods.com/stallion.htm

LOVE, LOVE, IRONMAN!

Great temperment, bone, substance, beauty:

This yearling is 15.2 at 18 months. She is out of a 15.3 mare, the filly is projected to mature (from her knee to hoof measurement) to a solid 17.0

http://www.herselffarm.com/images/Be...esized_web.jpg

http://www.herselffarm.com/images/clue_jog_resized.JPG

http://www.herselffarm.com/images/No...18_resized.jpg

She has a fabulous brain too!

Ironman's owner is the BEST to work with!
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

We just added a ISR Oldenberg Approved stallion to our roster for next season.

Commando Equi Sport

You can see him on our site - www.hyperionstud.com

Frozen but may stand for a limited time for fresh.

Cheers
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

Original Poster

Wanderlust: Thank you for suggesting Westporte. What a beautiful jump! It's good to know he crosses well with TBs and has a good brain. I think I have decided to go with a stallion that has more hunter movement and jump like he does.
    Sporthorsefilly: thanks for the pictures of your youngster. She is lovely! I have heard a lot of good things about Ironman and he has a lot of offspring to speak for what he passes along.
    Hyperion Stud: Do you have any more pictures or videos of Commando?

Wanderlust: Thank you for suggesting Westporte. What a beautiful jump! It's good to know he crosses well with TBs and has a good brain. I think I have decided to go with a stallion that has more hunter movement and jump like he does.
    Sporthorsefilly: thanks for the pictures of your youngster. She is lovely! I have heard a lot of good things about Ironman and he has a lot of offspring to speak for what he passes along.
    Hyperion Stud: Do you have any more pictures or videos of Commando?
    I have what's in the site and can get you more. You are welcome to PM me and I will give you my email address for further correspondence.

Cheers!
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

I don't know Hercules, but am familiar with the other stallions you are researching and have bred a G-line mare to For Play twice now with beautiful results. The 09 filly, now sold and starting over fences, and the 2012 colt are exactly what I bred for, have done very well in the in-hands (colt Fanfare was 2nd at Warrenton in a big class with an older colt the winner, filly was well placed at Upperville and now off to a show jumper career). Diana Dodge had beautiful results from a Cabardino breeding in a filly that walked away with most of the awards at Warrenton as a yearling or two year old. Bill Rube's two Westporte babies are super and the elder was winning championships in the IHF and pregreens this and last year. Sir Caletto has produced a line of winning hunters with his mares now producing well. More Than Luck is lovely and did well in both the young hunters and jumpers and is bred from winning stock, famous papa. Paparazzo is also so beautifully bred that I've often considered him and I know his get from the show circuit. I bred to Pablo, his sire, and produced a winning hunter breeding horse who just this year was Res. Ch. Young Hunter at Upperville. And I've had two lovely Landkoenig home-breds and currently own a 3'3" Performance mare by him who was Circuit Res. Ch. at HITS in that division and the Low Hunters this year.

Also, my Pablo-bred gelding Palomar's dam was half TB, my As di Valentia's dam is a TB jumper (Han.-approved), and my Landkoenig show hunter is also heavily infused with TB from dam's line.

Diane Halpin: Facebook
    Laurel Leaf Hanoverians: Facebook
    Last edited by dianehalpin; Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM.

Original Poster

Thanks dianehalpin for all the information! Sounds like you've had a lot of experience with several of these stallions. One of my favorites has become sir caletto. I love watching his hind legs over the fences I heard For Play died. Is that true?