The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oldenburg stallions for Thoroughbred mare

I have a 7-year-old thoroughbred mare that I am looking to breed. She is approved Premium Oldenburg NA. She is medium boned for a thoroughbred and 16.2 in height. She is a jumper showing 3'6" and schooling 4'. She is a lovely mare with average movement and a great jump. I am considering both hunter and jumper stallions. Oldenburg NA only please due to her approval. I would like a stallion that has shown successfully, has a good disposition, has above average movement to offset my mare's average, and a big jump. I would like a foal with a probability of reaching 16+ hands. Thanks in advance for any advice. I have a list of possibilities but I wanted to see what ideas people had.

There are so many options, but in reading your criteria, my immediate thought was Concerto Grosso.

Ironman. He throws both Hunters and Jumpers. He received his approval from performance in jumpers and had a terrific show record. He throws a great temperament as well as a great jump. He also throws movement.
    Nancy
    some of his offspring below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rule11aug09.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	36769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rule show1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	36770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Illiana.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	36771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	falc.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	36772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mac4.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	36773  

Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

Seconding Concerto Grosso, love him and bred my TB mare to him this year. His foals are all very consistent and great movers, and I have heard nothing but good things about he and his foals' temperaments as well. Rosemarie was wonderful to work with as well.

jess435 is offline Training Level Premium Member
    Original Poster

I agree there are a ton of options. It's making this a hard decision . I adore ironman! I havent looked at concerto grosso but I will now. I want to use fresh cooled seamen. Is it still relatively easy to get pregnancies out if some of these older stallions? I know each mare is different but I would like a horse with a pretty good conception rate.

Quote Originally Posted by jess435 View Post
    I want to use fresh cooled seamen.
    Err...I don't know if you're going to get any sailors that will be complicit in this endeavor. <snort>...sorry...I couldn't resist.

Is it still relatively easy to get pregnancies out if some of these older stallions? I know each mare is different but I would like a horse with a pretty good conception rate.
    If the sperm numbers are there, i.e., at least 500 million progressively motile sperm in each insemination dose, the age of the stallion is secondary. And we've had/have some older guys that have better semen and conception rates than some of the younger stallions out there. Ask questions. What are the first cycle conception rates. What is the usual numbers that are sent? Is a sperm count done on every ejaculate that is shipped? Is a semen evaluation done at the beginning of breeding season to determine what the best extender is for that stallion?

Good luck!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

I've seen a few Pablito and Pablo offspring out of TB mares that were really super crosses. Just what you would hope for in a TB/WB.

My mare caught on the first try with CG, they advertise that most mares do as well. As a sidenote, I love Pablo as well, and Landkonig.

Take a look at Richard, he meets all of your criteria and he is lifetime approved with the Oldenburg NA. We are looking at offering fresh cooled semen next year by housing him near to the stallion collection station for several months.

His webpage: www.theequineathlete.com
    His facebook page: www.facebook.com/KWPN (lots of foal/offspring photos on this page)

He is 17 hh and his offspring all tend to be taller than the dam. My 4 year old by him out of 15.3 hh TB mare is 16.2+. He is crossing nicely with TB mares.

Several videos of him showing:

Grand Prix jumpers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYXE...jNAVkaYGW6-E_A

Regular Working Hunters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBjqG...jNAVkaYGW6-E_A
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

Just for my own curiosity, could you post pics of your mare? I will be breeding my tb Nextel an Oldenburg as well

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Jhorne89 View Post
    Just for my own curiosity, could you post pics of your mare? I will be breeding my tb Nextel an Oldenburg as well
    For my curiosity too as hard to think of a stallion without: a. Seeing the mare...b. Video if available and c. Bloodlines.

I appreciate how many recommend stallions based on simple descriptions ...but OP...not entirely clear on the goal? ..i.e. what do you want/hope to get? Improve? And this 7 year old mare who sounds great at 7 is being bred because?
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Check out Valentino Z (Darco x Feo). Based on your wishlist and without seeing your mare, Valentino might be a great choice - he certainly meets your requirements! He's had multiple premium foals across registries and is licensed Oldenburg NA.

Original Poster

Thank you "equine reproduction". It helps a lot to know what questions to ask. Thanks everyone for the stallion ideas. Some of them are on my list and I will be researching the others in the next couple days.
    I' m working on getting pictures up of Rosie, but my computer is causing problems ( probably user error). I t may be this weekend before I can.
    Someone asked about goals, etc. I have always wanted to breed and I'm finally at a place where I have time and money enough. My love is the jumper ring so I'd love a nice big jumper baby. Im also considering big hunter stallions. Basically im hoping for a baby with jumping talent of some kind. There is nothing wrong with Rosie. She is sound and jumps anything I put in front of her. I love that mare. I can't afford a lot of horses so she gets to be competition and broodmare. I plan on breeding her once this spring or next then putting her back in competition as long as everything goes okay.
    As far as what I want to improve, it's mostly movement. She was high score of the day on conformation at her inspection but movement is only average. She has some of the typical thoroughbred tightness and lack of elasticity.
    Hope that answers all questions so far. Thanks for everyones help. I want to pick the right horse for her. I will try to get pictures up this weekend.

Original Poster

I do remember that the inspection judge said her back was a little long. Shoulder was "perfect" he said. He didnt really say much else specifically. I have asked my coach what we need to try to improve on the most besides the obvious movement stuff.

My TB mare had a wonderful colt by Apiro. He was rated Premium and received "Foal of Distinction" award at his GOV inspection. Check Apiro out on Silver Creek Farm's website.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by jess435 View Post
    Thank you "equine reproduction". It helps a lot to know what questions to ask. Thanks everyone for the stallion ideas. Some of them are on my list and I will be researching the others in the next couple days.
    I' m working on getting pictures up of Rosie, but my computer is causing problems ( probably user error). I t may be this weekend before I can.
    Someone asked about goals, etc. I have always wanted to breed and I'm finally at a place where I have time and money enough. My love is the jumper ring so I'd love a nice big jumper baby. Im also considering big hunter stallions. Basically im hoping for a baby with jumping talent of some kind. There is nothing wrong with Rosie. She is sound and jumps anything I put in front of her. I love that mare. I can't afford a lot of horses so she gets to be competition and broodmare. I plan on breeding her once this spring or next then putting her back in competition as long as everything goes okay.
    As far as what I want to improve, it's mostly movement. She was high score of the day on conformation at her inspection but movement is only average. She has some of the typical thoroughbred tightness and lack of elasticity.
    Hope that answers all questions so far. Thanks for everyones help. I want to pick the right horse for her. I will try to get pictures up this weekend.
    Now friend! If you want a jumper, then "movement" is not the issue! Stride maybe...but that isn't clear....a jumper needs to jump and cover distance, while also able to compress as needed...namely elastic. I mean of offense but breeding is not for the faint of heart, can be a disaster, and may not get one a horse that one could not have Bought to suit desires. I know COTH home to enablers but think long and hard about your decision.
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Original Poster

3 dogs- I know this could be rough and a lot of things could go wrong. Yes, I am excited and hopeful but I am realistic. If the foal turns out to be an international grand prix jumper, my prayers will have been answered I am not under the impression that if I pick the stallion with the right requirements I will automatically get what I want. I'm doing this site to get a better idea of what has worked and has not worked for people in the past.
    I know movement isn't necessary in the jumper field. Several of my favorite stallions don't have amazing movement scores. It's just one of my mare's weaker points.
    I am definitely an amature at this and I will probably say dumb things. I am looking for advice and will take any that anyone wants to give. I think this mare is wonderful and want to see what kind of offspring she will have.
    My coach breeds Dutch horses, and is helping me through the whole process. She's extremely busy with her horses and with coaching right now, so I'm trying to get a good list of 10-15 stallions to go to her with. She is very honest about what will and wont work, and the good and bad points of my horse, her horses, and everyone elses horses She will help me make the best possible decision from the Stallion list I present her with.

I am thrilled with our colt Aut of the Balou by Amazing out of our TB mare. His owner is fantastic to work with and I have found her to be very up front about what qualities her boy will bring to the table and what type of mare he is crossing best with. We have bred back our mare in hopes for a keeper filly and the 2014 foal has already been sold from this cross. He is well worth the look Good luck, stallion shopping is so much fun.
    http://www.cornerstonefarmpa.com/amazing.html
    Here is our boy at 4 months old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aut of the Balou by Amazing.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	36793  
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Coromino has been a nice cross on TB mares, producing good moving, great minds and nice jumps.
    Apiro also comes to mind as a good consideration for that same wish list.

I have another premium GOV colt by Apiro out of a TB mare- and you will get height. Another vote for Apiro, but not sure if he is being offered fresh this year.