The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Neat CANTER horse

I found this horse on CANTER earlier tonight, he seems awfully nice. I am looking for a futur eventer type horse. What are your guy's opinions? While my eye for conformation is so-so, my knowledge of the intricacies of the bloodlines aren't very good.
    By which i mean: I know the big ones, and about them, but not much about what their offspring have done.

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...258&Itemid=342
    Thanks guys.

She has a really short neck, but it could be the angle of the picture. She is pretty. But for 1k, there has to be something going on....

I would want to see a video and probably send someone to see her.

Eventers need to be brave and you can't see that from a picture!

Which one? Your link leads to all of the Kentucky listings.

I like Newsman, though he's a bit middle-aged and he's been restarted, so it's more of a "what you see is what you get" with him.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=342
    Its all about bill, is the one I meant.

He looks very downhill. It's going to be a struggle to get that horse to collect. His neck is pretty short and although he looks a bit ewe-necked he could lose that with proper work. Looks like some rounding on his left rear ankle and left knee. Nothing screaming runaway but nothing spectacular either.

He's going to feel like you're riding a quarter horse. It might be a great ride but you will have inherent challenges.

I think it's hard to tell about him being down hill while standing in grass. Find level hard ground and then check it out. I think the rear ankles bother me a bit more. Have him vetted for sure, but nothing else say run away.
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

Something about him I really like.

I don't think his pictures do him justice. He will also look like a very different horse in a year.

I think he is worth looking at. I like his pedigree...especially his dam line. Some people run screaming away from Storm Cat in a pedigree but they are often very athletic.

Does he have perfect conformation...no. The biggest "fault" is he looks a bit sickle hocked...but those horses often have a big jump and something is telling me this horse might have a decent jump. I like his shoulder. Neck doesn't bother me at all...with some work he will be stunning.

and doing a full PPE goes without saying. Cost of the horse isn't the expensive part!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I think he is even, not downhill, and even is fine though if he moves downhill I would change my opinion. Some even horses move downhill some carry themselves just fine. The photographs are hard to judge for that though. The downhill picture has his hind end to the camera. Structure is not bad, bone is great, and he does not have, the very common today, long long weak pasterns, I love that. His neck is short normal and could be set a little higher but it is cleanly cut in the chest. His pedigree is excellent for sport. His sire With Distinction is a nicely put together Storm Cat with a decent long career. He has many horses in his pedigree I like to see...Alydar, Crimson Satan, Buckpasser, Princequillo and his dam side is great with Caro, Relic, Tourbillon. You need a video and a vetting. PatO

I think he's cute too. He's just 4, so he's going to bulk up a bit in the next few years. I always think to myself--look at John Travolta in SNF, then look at John Travolta now.

I like the 12 year old chestnut, Newsman. He's got great, solid legs and he's 16.3. He's already done some dressage training. Don't know if he'll jump, but he's the best built of the horses on this page.

It's All About Bill has a nice hind end, but it looks completely detached from his front end, and maybe out behind a bit. As well, his left hind really bothers me at the fetlock. He is very straight at the pastern in front, and though he's got nice short cannon bones, I know from experience that straight pasterns in front means tendon injuries with jumping I think, also, that he's back at the knee a bit, which would exacerbate the possibility of tendon injuries. I guess I'd like to see him stood up better on flat concrete. Neck doesn't bother me at all---my horse had a neck like that at 4, and it got longer and is beautifully shaped with proper work.