The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to send with your horse on a lease?

So I'm taking my horse on Monday to his new little girl who is going to be full leasing him for about a year. I've never leased a horse out before & he'll be about 5 hours away meaning no regular visits. The title is pretty self-explanatory, what should I send with him? Bridles, boots, blankets? I know sending stuff up with him almost guarantees that I won't get it back but I'd rather him have stuff that fits than the leasee using ill-fitting tack before they can buy new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventing Strong View Post
    So I'm taking my horse on Monday to his new little girl who is going to be full leasing him for about a year. I've never leased a horse out before & he'll be about 5 hours away meaning no regular visits. The title is pretty self-explanatory, what should I send with him? Bridles, boots, blankets? I know sending stuff up with him almost guarantees that I won't get it back but I'd rather him have stuff that fits than the leasee using ill-fitting tack before they can buy new stuff.
    When I leased out my mare, I offered everything to them. Bridles, different bits, boots, blankets, sheets, wraps, special scratches cream, saddle, girth, half pad, etc,etc. They took what they wanted and left some stuff with me.

Detail each item in your lease contract and whatever condition it is in. We agreed that if anything was damaged/lost/stolen it was their expense. Got all my stuff back and they took wonderful care of it.

I offer everything and then we agree what they need and detail what goes and what condition it is in. I've never had one for whom I didn't replace at least one halter and one blanket during the lease (which I do as part of my lease arrangements). Most often, I end up just sending horses with a bridle, a couple of bits (make sure you detail these as they can disappear) and a set of blankets. Everywhere I have sent horses have access to sufficient good saddles, horse boots and other equipment.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I usually get bridle (or bits), blankets and boots if the owner is particular. I had one send her dressage saddle because it was fit to the horse, one left me with standing wraps because they were extra long. (These are leases for my students, not me.)

My kids are usually pretty quick to buy new fun halters, we hang on to the one the horse came in, just in case, but just tuck it away. New woof boots in their colors. New browbands (I usually try to get the horse's owner NOT to leave their bridle with us, too easy to break.) saddle pads etc.

Blankets are appreciated and we clean them at the end of the season and replace them if they die while in our care.

I think it really depends on what you're comfortable leaving, i.e. if you only have one bridle for this horse and it's super-fancy, I wouldn't leave it unless you don't mind it getting broken. When I leased out my horse on a half lease, I provided everything but the saddle. When I've leased horses, I've had owners leave saddles with me before, but not bridles and vice versa. Most will leave blankets (turnout, stable, sheet, fly sheet, cooler, etc.). Some have left bags of feed. I've never had an owner leave galloping boots, though that would have been nice.