The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What's up with that pony club? Unless the pony clubber is a D1 or D2, she should have a record book on this pony, which needs to include a current coggins. And her pony club should be asking to see these record books at least once a year...

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Here's the deal with EIA. No, it's not "very common". Why? Because testing and procedures are in place to deal with positive horses. For those that don't know, there are 3 kinds of "positives":
    1) Acute cases - those where the horse IS sick and WILL die within a few days.
    2) Chronic cases - these are the cases that scare me the most when it comes to EIA. They present as sometimes sick, sometimes healthy. Sick symptoms are things like off feed, slight fever, etc. and can often be brought on by stress. Gee... sound like ANYTHING else? That's why they scare me... how many horses that don't get regularly tested are actually Chronic cases but it isn't caught simply BECAUSE no one thinks to look for EIA??
    3) Carrier cases - perfectly "healthy" horses that happen to carry the virus.

Transmission rates (from memory, but you'll get hte idea):
    1) Acute - 1ml of blood has enough virus to infect 1,000,000 horses
    2) Chronic - 1ml of blood during a sick state has enough virus to infect 10,000 horses
    3) Carrier - 1 horsefly has a 1 in 1000 (I think) chance of picking up enough virus to infect another horse.

The key though is that once infected, no one knows how a horse will react and what type of sickness it might get -- could be carrier... could be acute. Do you really want to take that chance?

And as much as it sucks to put a horse down for EIA (Sam, the 8yo's pony, was carrier and the boy took it hard), I don't believe in the "lifetime quarantine" option. Horses are herd animals.

Honestly, they/we could completely wipe out the disease if we mandated testing for EVERY horse for 5 years, with mandatory euthanasia for those who test positive. I've believed this for years, long before I had to deal with it personally this past summer. And in looking for some other information for this reply, I found at least 3 states that, as of 2001, had enacted laws REQUIRING yearly testing - Louisiana, Tennesee and Arkansas. Though in 2001 officials in Louisiana predicted only about 40% actually get tested.

trubandloki... you're right. The show requirements are by local authorities... which I think is a shame and a sham. Some horses coming in have ot have tests but their competitors don't all because of where they board? Who's to say that those locals aren't infected? I know, I know... it's NJ and pretty low statistically, but the "line" that is considered more risky isn't THAT far away.

FYI in 2010, the infection rate was .003%... or 1 in about 33,500 tests. 1 acute reaction, and that all changes.

SLR... I found the USDA facts I posted from the links presented on the iTolt Training Center blog (the barn I ride at where the positive test occured in May -- the first in Ohio in 2 years). http://www.itolt.com/apps/blog/show/...-coggins-test- And fwiw, while the previous owner of the positive pony claims previous ownership of him, the owner of the decent size H/J barn in the area that was the owner before her disavows owning him... despite bragging about it when he was purchased for the 8yo. I find that interesting... as well as disheartening that a horseperson would put others are risk that way.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Unless there have been recent, local outbreaks, I wouldn't worry about "working with" the mare.

But, depending on the state, the schooling show may require a CURRENT Coggins. I know in Virginia the state makes spot checks.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Virginia is considered in the "higher risk" southern states.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

Quote Originally Posted by MtyMax View Post
    I assumed (we all know what that means!) that a PC pony would be up to date and the only reason I mentioned the coggins was to show next weekend. I didn't evenask about it for the short haul tomorrow...but maybe I should start just in case?

Thanks!
    It is an issue, even for a short haul as the state of North Carolina requires a current coggins (within the last 12 months) to haul horses on NC public roads. Chances of an ag cop pulling you over and checking, probably not very high. On the other hand. . . I have seen it happen and the fines are stiff to say the least.

Would add that for years North Carolina did not require coggins and this state was a dumping ground for EIA positive horses. We have lived here 12 years and sometime in that 12 year period (can't remember exactly when) one of our less than charming neighbors got nailed for horse neglect, and it was discovered he was harboring more than a few EIA positive animals.

Half the shows in my area don't even ask for a coggins, and the only horses at my barn that get them are the ones that leave the property.

I've never had a coggins pulled on any of my horses - we don't travel outside OR/WA and they are not required between the two states.

I wouldn't freak out.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

When I owned a boarding facility I required all horses to have an UTD coggins and vaccinations and to provide a record of that to me. I also required regular deworming (this is before doing fecals was the norm) and this proof had to be provided. I am surprised at the boarding barns I go to now who never once ask if my horse was vaccinated or has a current coggins, nor do they care. I think in MI it is required to have a current coggins within 12 months to travel with your horse.I agree that I wouldn't freak out if it isn't current and that the second after the blood is drawn (ok maybe exaggerating a little) the horse can be infected with EIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I've never had a coggins pulled on any of my horses - we don't travel outside OR/WA and they are not required between the two states.

I wouldn't freak out.
    Uh, that's not correct. If you're travelling between states it IS required... and within 12 months at that. See my previous post paraphrasing the USDA rules -- aka federal rules.

tle please read the links you posted from your boarding barn. They are not Federal regulations or laws. As I said before the regulations are state by state. Also travel by equines between Oregon and Washington is exempt from EIA testing.
    Last edited by SLR; Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Clarity

Have had a Coggins pulled on my horses and those I competed on annually for the past 40+ years. Still remember the "required" visit from the vet when the Coggins test was originally used. My horses haven't left our property, not counting trail rides on bordering property, for over ten years.

Still I have a Coggins pulled every year. Because you never know when you may have to leave, due to hurricane or other weather issues or fire.

But, wouldn't get too upset over a delayed Coggins, especially if said horse and barn mates has a clean history.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    As I said before the regulations are state by state.
    The OP's location indicates she is located in Greensboro NC. Assuming that is correct, comments regarding practices in other states don't apply. As I mentioned above the state of North Carolina requires a current coggins to travel within the state. You may never get pulled over. . . but why take the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    tle please read the links you posted from your boarding barn. They are not Federal regulations or laws. As I said before the regulations are state by state. Also travel by equines between Oregon and Washington is exempt from EIA testing.
    The regs I quoted .... the links... are the USDA rules. how is that not a federal rule? Regs are mostly by state for some things, but it specifically stated interstate movement = 12 months coggins, with no mention of exceptions. If you found mention of it, great.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    You may be overreacting, but if that horse is going to shows and especially if crossing state lines OR using interstate highways, the hauler is also breaking federal law. I'm also not sure how the law looks at owner vs. leasee as any transfer of ownership it is REQUIRED that the selling owner provide the buying owner with a neg coggins dated within 12 months.

Now... this is the law per the USDA.
    As Pegasusmom pointed out the LAWS of NC dictate what the OP should be concerned about. And so this discussion is somewhat off topic, but you are now talking about the USDA Methods and Rules, which are not LAWS or regulations. The states control the laws concerning testing, travel, etc.
    Just trying to clear up the misinformation about people breaking Federal laws. So in some states it is not required to provide a neg coggins when selling, when going to shows, etc. or when travelling within the state. Don't know how many states may not require a neg coggins when crossing stste lines.

So what is the point of the USDA saying anything? I quoted what their rules are... why would they even say they require anything if it's not a rule at the federal level (seeing that the USDA is a federal agency).

States govern what happen within their own boarders. Federal Government (or Agency) governs the whole country... i.e., between state lines. USDA rules are enforceable and can be found here. The pertinent part is on page 10 Section E, "Testing Requirements", subsection b.

Quote Originally Posted by USDA Testing Requirements View Post
    Equines being moved interstate: All equines being moved interstate must have been tested for EIA with a negative result within 12 months prior to movement and must be accompanied by a permit describing the equine, and signed by an accredited veterinarian.
    BUT answering the OP's question, I wouldn't freak out, but I'd get a current coggins because it is required for competition (page 10 Section E, "Testing Requirements", subsection a):

Quote Originally Posted by USDA Testing Requirements View Post
    Equines being entered into exhibitions or competitive events: All equines entered in exhibitions or competitive events must have been tested for EIA with a negative result within the time prescribed by local authorities and be documented on an official EIA laboratory test form, as defined in this document. Event officials must review official test papers of all equines entered into an event to ensure that all participating equines are test-negative for EIA.
    I'm so busy I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse

Quote Originally Posted by Snaffle81 View Post

BUT answering the OP's question, I wouldn't freak out, but I'd get a current coggins because it is required for competition (page 10 Section E, "Testing Requirements", subsection a):
    It is REQUIRED for transportation on North Carolina public roads. That is why the horse needs a current coggins.