The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Do you think you could use polo wraps? Or not enough stretch....

I use a polo wrap like this, works great...

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    Do you think you could use polo wraps? Or not enough stretch....
    I'm sure it would work just make sure to not put it tight because it might not stretch as good but i wouldn't see why it wouldn't work the same.

Hi, looking forward to reading your updates on how your horse is doing as I have an OTTB who was diagnosed with KS in September this year - 2 vets gave me positive prognosis saying condition is manageable with injections (Tildren) and failing that surgery (only recommended by one vet) but my riding teachers and majority of horsey friends have said he is too much of a liability and I should have him put down. Not knowing what to do for the best he has gone to a mounted police horse retirement home, been trying to find a new horse however deep down would like to give him a chance and see if the injections work - but what led to the diagnosis was his unpredictable leaping in the air with full body twist and as I have a spinal condition (scoliosis) which I had surgery on some years ago - I have to take care riding. The police horse trainer at the retirement home has offered to re-school Victor for me but before I take steps to bring him back into work - I'd like to be 90% certain any treatment works. Prior to his diagnosis Victor showed great aptitude for jumping and eventing and has the most gorgeous temperament (excluding his leaping moments) and to say the least I am devastated - especially as he is only 7 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl66 View Post
    Hi, looking forward to reading your updates on how your horse is doing as I have an OTTB who was diagnosed with KS in September this year - 2 vets gave me positive prognosis saying condition is manageable with injections (Tildren) and failing that surgery (only recommended by one vet) but my riding teachers and majority of horsey friends have said he is too much of a liability and I should have him put down. Not knowing what to do for the best he has gone to a mounted police horse retirement home, been trying to find a new horse however deep down would like to give him a chance and see if the injections work - but what led to the diagnosis was his unpredictable leaping in the air with full body twist and as I have a spinal condition (scoliosis) which I had surgery on some years ago - I have to take care riding. The police horse trainer at the retirement home has offered to re-school Victor for me but before I take steps to bring him back into work - I'd like to be 90% certain any treatment works. Prior to his diagnosis Victor showed great aptitude for jumping and eventing and has the most gorgeous temperament (excluding his leaping moments) and to say the least I am devastated - especially as he is only 7 years old.
    Hi, I would definitely say he would be a good canidate for surgery. I wouldn't have him put down, that would be my absolute LAST option. I would try the surgery first, and then keep up with injections in his back (if it's that bad). The surgery is fairly cheap, I payed around 600 dollars, but he had a poor prognosis. However, I think the surgery has worked, and the vet who did the surgery, said he really wouldn't know if the surgery would work because it's new to the US. What my conclusion to kissing spines is that your going to have a very high maintanance horse. You really have to get them massage, chiropractic, and acupuncture work done on them every month along with getting them into an excersise routine, to break the pain cycle. Hope all goes well keep updates.

Have been watching a trainer using Schoenich's method of lunging. He claims it can really help with kissing spines. When done correctly you really see the horse's abs contract and the back lifts. Might be worth looking into especially if his clinics come out your way...

1 members found this post helpful.

Update on my horse. He is doing great 7 weeks post surgery. Vet confirms there is more movement in his back. The swelling has gone down considerably at the incision area and he no longer flinches when I poke around the scar. The vet is sending me DMSO mixed with a steroid to bring the bulge down further. We are lunging for 1/2 an hour every day and he gets to rejoin his pasture buddies this weekend. He is healed enough that I can put a saddle on him but can't sit in it. I found a used Reactor Panel saddle that may work with his large withers. I'm having a saddle fitter come out to see if it is suitable. I hope start freejumping at the end of January, back in the saddle the end of February.

Jerseygirl, I have no regrets getting the surgery done. Otherwise, I would have been looking at constant maintenance with chiropractors, injections, shockwave and who knows what else. However, it is a personal decision. Frankly if I had a health condition such as yours, a poor prognosis or the horse exhibited explosive behavior, I would have walked away. Owning a kissing spines horse is a lot of work and expense. Think hard if you can commit to the rehab.

I just got back on my guy today at the walk bareback. He was fantastic, and because he's been lunging in a Pessoa, he is really soft in the mouth and is constantly in a frame, and moving forward correctly. I checked his back after I got off and he was not sore at all! I'll keep updates coming, and we have an apppointment for the vet to come take x-rays next week to see if the surgery worked.

Congratulations Sporthorsegirl! Good news for my gelding too. He has been cleared to ride! Just 10 minutes at the walk, building up to full work in 6 weeks. I can free jump him in 4 weeks. His swelling is mostly gone. I can press down really hard on the incision - no reaction. The vet grabbed is tail and wagged his butt all over the place - no reaction. I found a used Prestige GP saddle that should fit his enormous wither and combining it with a Beval therapeutic pad. Our first ride will be this weekend!

Well not so good news. I started riding him bareback with light trotting him, and he is back to where he was being sore, I can nearly push him down by touching his back. The vet came out and took x-rays and 2/4 were fixed, but the ones that moved apart are now touching other spines! He is offically riding retired, however, he might eventually be able to do light trail riding on the weekends, or he could pull a cart (which is the route I'm thinking about going.) I don't want to put him through any more pain so I'm pretty sure he is going to be a gorgeous pasture pony.

Oh, so sorry to hear that. My guy has KS but with a custom saddle has been rideable, so evidently isn't that severe. Haven't pushed him past anything except under saddle yet.

So sad your efforts didn't pay off. He's been lucky to have you in his corner.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I'm bummed to read this as well. I have only dealt with one KS horse and it was very frustrating and we were not able to help him enough to be sound for riding. In dealing with him, I heard so many stories and very few were positive so it was hard to be optimistic. I really had hoped for the best for the OP's horse, as I've followed the progress, and I'm really sorry it didn't work out as hoped.

Another new member. I would very much appreciate any information regarding the interspinous ligament desmotomy. I curently have a horse that may be a candidate for this procedure located in California. Are there any vets in the US that specialize in this? From what I've discovered so far is that it is a much more common proceedure in Europe than here. Which is no surprise as almost all competitions are under FEI regulations (ie no drugs allowed).

I just found out last week that my horse has kissing spines (3 vertebrae involved). We are starting out with injections to see if that helps. Once she is back in real work, I will probably try and work her in a gogue (sp?). My dressage trainer says it will help her work in a round and low frame to build her topline.

As far as the new, less invasive surgery--they have been doing in Europe for quite a while. I heard they are now doing this surgery at MSU. Luckily, that is close-by because that will be my next step if the injections don't seem to be working for my horse. Sounds like the success rate is very good and it is not a high risk surgery.

I'm sorry the outcome was not what you had hoped Sporthorsegirl. Your horse is fortunate to have such a thoughtful and caring owner.

My horse is doing great 12 weeks post surgery. We are in light work under saddle after a short lunging session three times a week. He is allowed to start freejumping this week, back to full work mid March. There is a lovely swing to his hips and swish in his tail he didn't have before. My vet his very happy with is progress and doesn't need to see him again until May. He has a small bump at the incision area and I am waiting for his back fur to grow in. It takes a year for the fibrous tissue to mature in to the space where his T17 process used to be. He shows no signs of pain when I mount or palpate his back after riding.

My horse had a severe overriding processes between T16-T18. My vet removed the T17 process and since she had full access to the ligaments, did the ISLD procedure after consulting with vets in England. From what my vet tells me the ISLD done in Europe is done blind through small incisions. It is mostly done on racehorses who need a quick recovery. They are back on the track 6 weeks post surgery. There is a special technique to cut the ligaments blind and vets are flying to Europe to learn how to do it. My vet intends to make the trip but for now is doing a combination of process removal and ISLD.

I've been thinking about taking my guy to the big surgery where they shave their spines down. Does anyone have experience with this, and if so has it been successful in eventers? Thanks everyone!

Sporthorsegirl - do you mean you are thinking of having the overriding processes removed? PM me your e-mail address and I can send you my horse's xrays before surgery, pictures after surgery and video of him now. I intend to event my horse - mind you I have no desire to progress past training level. What I really should be sending you is copies of my vet bills which are almost $4K including diagnosis and checkups.

I just talked to my vet who did the surgery on my horse, and asked him about the surgery that removes the overriding processes, and he seems to think it's not a very good idea. He says that since we live in Fl, the horses will be more prone to infection, and it would be too hard on my horse because he has so many places overriding. However, he says he did see some sighns of immprovement on the upper processes but the one that was crossing over looks worse now. He says give him a year to rest, and let the body try to heal itself, and we could probably give the surgery another try.

Thanks for posting your updates. Wish it were a better scenario.

Royal has been doing really good lately, so I've decided to put him back under saddle. He's been in work for about a week now, and is doing great. I've been focusing on getting him low and round to build up some muscle, and he has been very good about it. I've been giving him some muscle relaxers like my vet prescribed, and that has been making his back not hurt him at all. I'll keep updates.

1 members found this post helpful.