The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack Cleaning.

What do you use to clean your tack with?? My saddle is really dirty and moldy (I think).

Dish soap with a little bleach (read label to be sure they can be mixed) to kill the mold and get the dirt off; then oil it with "Leather Therapy" which has a mold inhibitor. Then store in a DRY place and re-clean regularly!

Castille soap will clean well. You can use a soft toothbrush on the stitching to get all the mold out. Then oil well - I like Hydrophane or just plain olive oil applied by hand.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Castile soap for a good cleaning. I found out about it through COTH! Follow it with a leatherbalsm, lexol conditioner, or an oil and you'll be good to go.

I used lexol to clean and then a wipe of white vinegar to remove the mold spores when I had moldy tack. Condition well afterward.

Worked well enough for me, but it's not like we have real humidity in Colorado. The tack had gotten moldy due to a leak in the trailer tack room roof.

Any of the above work great. My favorite leather cleaner is Stubben Leather Soap, followed with Leather Therapy Conditioner or Effol Lederbalsam.

Fiebing's Saddle Soap followed by an application of Tanner's Oil
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

If you get a jar of Stubben's glycerine saddle soap, it lasts forever and does a good job of stripping nasty stuff and waxes without drying it out. I would wipe the saddle really well with a damp rag, then soap it, then condition it or oil it. I don't really use oil anymore, but Hydrophane was great. I just ran out of an enormous jug that lasted for years! Now I use a leather conditioner called Leather Keep, sold by an australian saddle company. It's really nice; I love it because it really gives the leather a supple feel without making it too soft like over-oiling can do, and it doesn't darken my tack. If I want to darken something, I use olive oil.

Never heard of the vinegar thing! I'll try it next time, I have a western saddle that attempts to become a chia pet every winter.

If it's moldy, don't re-use the sponge afterward--throw it away. The Leather Therapy spray soap is good for mold.