The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Monarchs

I've been wondering all summer why I didn't have Monarch butterflies though I have lots of tiger swallowtails, despite the milkweed that I leave for them. I suppose we must have gotten a flock migrating through on Monday

https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3...42570863640114
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I've been fortunate enough to ride with a few Monarchs over the summer. it's the most I've seen in recent memory! And we've had many Monarchs near my house (45 minutes away from the barn), which I have just loved. I always stop and watch them.

I made a bumper sticker for a coworker that says "I Brake for Butterflies" as one morning he slammed on his brakes to avoid a Monarch.

Maybe yours have flown south!
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Here's the trailer for the new movie Flight of the Butterflies about the search for the monarchs' destination .... to be released this month, showing in 3-D and 3-D IMax in some locations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTnOY_qTB2c

There was an interview on NPR this morning with one of the first people to see their wintering spot thirty years ago.

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/04/161741...res-that-could

To me, one of the most amazing aspects of these creatures' lives is that it takes multiple generations to make the journey north in the spring but a single generation makes the journey south in the fall. How do any of them follow a path they have before traveled?

I've heard their numbers are decreasing because people are ripping out the milkweed plants that their caterpillars feed on. I kept some milkweeds and never saw one and other than aphids nothing has eaten them.

These are the only monarchs I have seen all year. They were here for 2 days and now are gone again.

I'm glad I spotted them.
    Last edited by carolprudm; Oct. 4, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

I've been keeping a "Seasonal First" diary of when I first see local flora & fauna during the year since 2008, & this year the first Monarch I spotted on our place was Aug. 15th. About a month earlier than past years.