The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hochadel frozen info

Just got an email from the state vet at Celle that they are still in the process of test freezing Hochadel. They just inseminated a mare and will do a preg check in 16 days.

Fingers crossed! If she takes they may offer frozen semen

I would to have the option of breeding with Hochadel. Please keep us posted. :0)
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

Agreed. I like the look of his foals.

ohh this is good news! Please keep us posted! I'd love to use him one day!
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

I love him! I hope the test breeding/frozen works.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I visited Celle this morning and spoke to Dr. Brockmann and he confirmed the mare is in foal to Hochadel by frozen semen. Apparently the new extender they are using for him agreed with his FS! So very good news, he will be offered in 2013.
    Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Awesome!! What great news. Do you have any idea of what the cost might be?
    ? Marilyn Monroe

Hochadel FS is offered for sale on SES with less than $600 each breeding dose, $100 discount for early bird

Great news! I really wish I had a mare that I could use him on. The price is definitely right. !!
    ? Marilyn Monroe

Yes, for that price, it's worth just buying some to hang onto.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Any pregnancies from his frozen semen? I sure am hoping so! Anyone? Know any friends who have tried that you could ask for me?

I was so disappointed yesterday, my mare was ready to breed and the Hochadel semen tested at only 12% progressively motile sperm. My vet was really not very happy, feels I got ripped off with this semen - he is affiliated with Select Breeders and they have set standards for semen stats, and would not market semen with such low post-thaw motility. I was aware of difficulties with this stallion's frozen in the past, but had hoped that celle had indeed sorted it out. That would not appear to be the case. So disappointing to do all the monitoring work for a frozen breeding, and have such a low chance of success.

We went ahead and inseminated her, she had a 60 mm soft follicle and was 36 hrs post-deslorelin. My fingers and towers are crossed. We are already late getting her bred, her foal is 6 weeks and I don't want foals in the heat of summer. Uuugh! 7 yr old mare that caught with fresh-cooled last year first try for her first foal so I can only hope, but not sure how realistic that is.

Vet is a Board certified Theriogenologist, he does see a lot of semen and has the equipment needed for analysis so it was not just a glance on a slide. 12% seems so low, just enough moving to say the stuff isn't dead. Damn!

Sorry to hear about the crappy semen quality. I thought they had worked everything out as well! Fingers crossed for you and FWIW, I have never had semen that low but I did use a stallion last year that was only 20% progressively motile sperm post thaw and my mare got pregnant. So hopefully your mare can be one of those surprises as well, it sounds like you bred her at the optimal time so fingers crossed for you!
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

Don't give up!!! The vet told me semen I bought was 10% mobility and those that were mobile were sluggish. I was bummed to as it should have been 40-50%. Someone else that used it had a similar story. The long and short of it was that it looks to be a stallion that takes a while to get going and it's had 100%conception rates. I got an embryo with 10% and sluggish.

Thanks Cindy & b-i-t-s, maybe all is not lost by my vet sure was not very optimistic. I would love to hear if anyone else had tried Hochadel, what the semen looked like when you thawed it and if you managed to get a mare in foal? Anyone?

Uuugh, 2 weeks is going to be a LONG wait and now I need a "Plan B" to get this mare bred of she does come up empty.

A FB warmblood breeder's group member who bred to Hochadel reported a pregnancy and 40% post thaw motility. When I was at Celle I asked about his frozen and if they had mares pregnant by his frozen, and they did. Hopefully your mare will get in foal.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by Somekindawonderful View Post
    Thanks by my vet sure was not very optimistic.
    Neither was mine. Do you know how close the insemination and ovulation were?

There is an informal survey of "success with frozen semen breedings, 2013" on Facebook. So far one success has been reported and about 4 or 5 failures. I know two people who have been unsuccessful, and both are surveyed. Both closely managed the breedings with experienced vets.