The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    this is interesting...
    how is it that Windfall was registered then?

In theory, he is:

arabian/thoroughbred
    trakehner
    thoroughbred
    thoroughbred

So 1/8 arab + 1/8 thoroughbred
    1/4 Trakehner
    1/2 thoroughbred

even though his pops was only 50% Trakehner he was registered Trakehner but that doesn't transfer 50% Trakehner blood to Windfall.
    Hopefully we can direct acottongim over here when she gets back from the Valhalla trak inspections. I don't understand exact rules, but one of her mares is 3/4 TB and she had a petition process to get her registered or approved Trak. My filly out of her is technically more than 1/2 blood given the amount of TB and 1/4 Arab makeup of her sire's breeding, but she's considered pure Trak as far as paperwork goes. I'm just learning about this stuff, so don't know enough to give full answers.

I did notice the 3/4 TB Trak stallion, though... I'm keeping an eye out for future baby daddies.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

WOW! She is lovely!! Love those Trakehners too I have a Windfall baby who I adore. I will be looking at Taz in the future as a baby daddy. I have been really impressed by him get.

Here is a little tidbit on Windfall's breeding...

http://newspringfarm.com/windfall/index.html

So, he is exactly 1/4 "pure" Trak blood.
    Windfall's grandsire on his sire's side was Anglo-Arab. Burnus was 1/2 Arab and 1/2 Kisber Felver. They bred him to a Trak mare to produce Habicht. He was registered a Trakehner. Habitch produced great sons including Windfall and E.H. Sixtus. Sixtus was reserve champ at his German inspection and became a very successful show jumper.

More on Burnus and Habicht:
    The sire line of Habicht-Burnus AAH traces back to the famous Shagya Arabian stallion Lapis, a grey war time hero who helped his officer, Walter Schmidt-Salzmann, to find home from Russia during WWII. Burnus, like Habicht, was a successful international event horse and accomplished breeding stallion not only in the Trakehner breed. Habicht, who also lived at the German Hörstein stud like his famous sons Sixtus and Windfall *Pg*, won the CCI*** Achselschwang and was the best German horse at the CCI**** Burghley prior to retiring at stud where he left an amazing amount of high quality brood mares and sons for the breed.

Windfall's dam side is all tbred. Wundermaedel's sire was a very successful steeplechaser. Her grandsire can be found in several successful dressage horse lines. When Wundermaedel was inspected she received a score of 10 for type. This is what makes Windfall and his get very typey, even though Windfall was not all Trak blood. She evented through Adv very successfully also.

All the Windfall's that I have seen have a very typey head and you can usually pick them out of a crowd.

Completely random comment, but I have always like the Trak. brand. I dig the antlers

She's gorgeous, congrats!

Why do you bang the tail so short, is it for show? Just wondering...

I love your foal! Taz looks awesome crossed on tbs! As an aside, I see your mare's broodmare sire is Sword Dance. Sword Dance also is the sire of my ottb, who is a phenomenal athlete, and quite the mover and jumper!

Quote Originally Posted by Renascence View Post
    I love your foal! Taz looks awesome crossed on tbs! As an aside, I see your mare's broodmare sire is Sword Dance. Sword Dance also is the sire of my ottb, who is a phenomenal athlete, and quite the mover and jumper!
    Yes the dam is quite impressive, I think. She has great ROM. Though she has never been trained she is broke.
    So she must have been backed as a 2 year old. According to her Keeneland record she was sold as a 2 year old and then again as a 3 year old.

I finally said "what the heck" and hopped on her just a few weeks ago. I had no idea if she had ever been broke.
    Apparently so!
    1st time lunging:
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/IMG_1974.jpg
    3 days later:
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...boom/swain.jpg

She is VERY huntery with spectacular movement behind. She would do really great in a program because she seems to love working.
    Though she is also a great producer therefore will not get to be a sport horse. I think she will be leased out eternally as a broodmare!
    It's sick really because after putting her to work over some poles and cavaletti I thought...."ooooooh! Show Hunter. [cha-ching] $$$$!!".
    Sigh, alas, I might just want another kiddo from her one day. = (-)$$$. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    She's gorgeous, congrats!

Why do you bang the tail so short, is it for show? Just wondering...
    I was watching some inspections from Europe and they bang them. It's banged short because she's only 5 months old and that's how long it was! It took off 2" or so for the banging.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    Completely random comment, but I have always like the Trak. brand. I dig the antlers
    Totally agree! I think the antlers rock.
    Last edited by purplnurpl; Sep. 29, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by Trak_Eventer View Post
    WOW! She is lovely!! Love those Trakehners too I have a Windfall baby who I adore. I will be looking at Taz in the future as a baby daddy. I have been really impressed by him get.
    absolutely!
    His get are the reason I used him. I have been lucky enough to ride a few of them.
    I need a horse who is born ready for a job and who has great work ethic.
    I'm pretty tough on my horses, especially on the flat. I really put the pressure on so it is super important that I have a mature youngster who can take the heat.
    I like them quiet yet confident.

I knew Taz would give me just that.
    I've told Kim that Swanky is like a 10 year old horse in a baby body.

She was that way at the inspection as well! The other foals had a good time and showed off a bit [as most foals do]. Swanky just casually trotted around a little. She didn't show off or even dish out anything spectacular for everyone to see.

It's fun to know that she brought home those scores and she only gave about 70% or so.
    I'm quite excited for her future. I think she is def going to be my kind of horse under saddle.

I was happy to find that her mother had a great brain under saddle as well. She was VERY quiet and very happy to do everything I asked with ZERO spook or worry.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!