The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Free 2005 Ottb gelding in Central PA

I have come to the decision I need to look for a different situation for this guy. His name is Coastal Petrel his pedigree is here: http://www.pedigreequery.com/coastal+petrel

Back in June a friend called me and said there were some horses down the road from her that were in a bad way and she had permission to go look at them and rehome them. The owner was in hospice with Stage 4 cancer and asked his former jockey & exercise rider to check on the horses, when they did it turns out the "caretaker" was very frightened and therefore the horses had really suffered for atleast 6 weeks. Coast was skin & bones and had not been out of his stall in a long time. Nor had it been mucked. He had one shoe on and was standing in his own filth. His feet were so thrushy and soft and the soles eaten away.

From laying in the filth his hair had been "burned" away and he had sores all over him.

There were several like this and we could NOT leave them there they were not going to make it much longer. So I took him home and we began the process of rehabbing him.

He was an excellent patient and a very good eater. His feet are much better, we have him shod all the way around and his soles are slowly getting better.

He still needs some more weight and definitely has no muscle tone. But he is ready to start some sort of work.

He is over 17 hands and I am a middle aged, out of shape 5'1" so he is really not appropriate for me to start at this time. he does have an "ankle" that is set and doesnt bother him in the least. He is up to date on everything and ready to continue on with some exercise.

He would really benefit from more turnout than I could provide to help build his muscles by walking around more.

This is a very handsome guy and I would be happy to email or text pictures to anyone interested. I dont get on this site as much as I would like to so feel free to email me at sunkenmeadowstables@gmail.com
    Last edited by SunkenMeadow; Sep. 28, 2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Fixed email address

We took some more pictures of him today that I can email or text if anyone is interested.

Please send me more information, jessicaoft@optonline.net

Age, broke ? Last ridden ? thanks,

Jessica, I think I emailed you already but will double check.

Thanks for your help hundredacres, we think he is handsome too...

What a lovely boy! He looks a lot like my JJ.

Unfortunately, I have the same disease as the OP (short and middle aged), so a 17 h horse just isn't in the cards.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Well, I have that disease also BUT, it doesn't stop me. My guy is 16.2 and stocky. I love the big, old field hunter types. I will say though that I am enjoying working with my DD's 15.2 hand TB. (Oh, and for the record, it is a no-no to try and take said DD's horse for yourself, because you really like him, even if you promise to buy her a new one.) I would truck the 10 miles down the road to get this guy in a heartbeat, have the room, just don't have the time. Someone is going to get a good looking guy. Best of luck.
    "Don't make me go all chestnut mare on you"!

Quote Originally Posted by rtrules View Post
    Well, I have that disease also BUT, it doesn't stop me. My guy is 16.2 and stocky. I love the big, old field hunter types. I will say though that I am enjoying working with my DD's 15.2 hand TB. (Oh, and for the record, it is a no-no to try and take said DD's horse for yourself, because you really like him, even if you promise to buy her a new one.) I would truck the 10 miles down the road to get this guy in a heartbeat, have the room, just don't have the time. Someone is going to get a good looking guy. Best of luck.
    I know, time is a big issue here as well. Not enough hours in the day...

Sent you an e-mail. We would love to come and meet him.

I have gotten alot of emails asking about what training Coast has had, so I am just adding a little more info here...

He has had NO training here, he was in such a bad state there was no way we were putting tack on him. He is just to that point now. His exercise rider did hop on him for me the day we took him and trotted him around the field. She also told me that she was the one who broke him and they did it in the very same field and she trail rode him as a three year old.

Honestly I dont think he will be a problem attitude wise at all...HOWEVER he needs to go slow...there is no muscle ... I mean slow as in walking & trotting under tack for a good while. We have been free lunging him every other day for about 5 - 10 minutes at the walk & trot to start building some muscle tone...but that is it.

I am hoping to find him the perfect home soon and I really appreciate the community here pitching in and helping

I absolutely love his size and expression... this one sorely tempts me! I hope he finds the very best home

Bumping this. Did this boy find a home?
    "Don't make me go all chestnut mare on you"!

Quote Originally Posted by rtrules View Post
    Bumping this. Did this boy find a home?
    Sorry, I have not updated, I do not get on here much. Thanks to everyone who inquired, Coast found a lovely home through another CoTHer.

Great news!!

That's him!!! Wow!

Man I knew that one was a special one! Really wanted this one when I saw him!

I knew I remembered Coastal's name from somewhere when I saw this ad: http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-781692

Doesn't look like he's in dire straights, but if anybody is still interested, wanted to pass the word on that he's available again... He's now located in Georgia, just south of Atlanta.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King