The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default vhs to dvd: Is it possiable to do it myself?

I have all my old horse show videos on vhs and need to get them on to dvds. Is it better to get a dvd player that can burn them and do it myself? Or should I send them to someplace that will do it professionally? I just don't want to screw them up because they are the only copies I have. Some have horses that are no longer around, and I don't want to loose that footage. Has anybody done there own? How did they turn out? I'm not very tech savvy so it has to be pretty easy. Thanks!

1 members found this post helpful.

I would have a professional do it. If you can sort out a way to do it yourself first so you have a backup, great. But if you find a pro, they've got way better equipment and the quality will be much better.

That said, keep in mind that DVDs don't last forever. I would consider having the digital images put on a thumb drive and then load them to a cloud type storage. Two reasons: 1) DVDs can be damaged 2) as technology changes, it will be easier to transfer to new devices if you have it saved digitally.

Good luck!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I forget where she got it, but my mother did this with all of my old horse show vhs tapes. She has a device that has the slot for the vhs on one side and the dvd slot on the other. It works similar to those old stereos that had the two tape decks (remember those!). For what I needed the dvds, the quality was pretty good. LIke BuddyRoo said, the equipment a professional has is probably way better so the video quality would be better. And if it's only a few videos, it probably isn't worth it to buy the equipment anyways. But it is possible to do it yourself

You can get a TV adapter for your computer (<$50) and use it to plug your VCR into your computer. Play the tape and record it on your computer, then you can edit, upload, and burn to DVD as much as you want.

Christa

Quote Originally Posted by Christa P View Post
    You can get a TV adapter for your computer (<$50) and use it to plug your VCR into your computer. Play the tape and record it on your computer, then you can edit, upload, and burn to DVD as much as you want.

Christa
    This ^^

Or if you have a mini-DV camera, you can plug your camera onto the VHS player. Then press record on your camera while the VHS is playing. Your VHS will be onto mini-DV that you can then transfert into your computer.

It works with DVD players or directly on the TV as well.

I got an adapter off ebay very inexpensively.

All of the above - but video is VERY large filesize. The easiest would be to purchase a VHS/DVD player/recorder. Having a professional transfer would be really the easiest - and for additional cost, you could ask that titles be put on (name of horse, rider, show, year, etc.).

Agree that you would want to make a copy of the DVD - on flash or another DVD. Or Cloud (I have no experience with this, so no judgment/advice).

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

walmart ( I have not used this service) will do it and do it on a digital medium.

Its like...25.00 bucks or something.

I bought a vhs/dvd recorder/player and did it myself. If you do this though, buy a good one. I bought a cheepie and ruined one of my vhs tapes that was irreplaceable. The one I have now is a Sony and was about 300.

There are companies that will do it for a flat rate. They send you a box, and however many tapes you can fit in the box they'll transfer for a flat fee. Last time I googled it they all seemed to be around 100, but I could never find out how big the box is
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

I would love to transfer my old Horse tapes to DVD. HAs anyone ever used the Walmart service, I too have ones of horses that are no longer living, and I would hate to lose the originals!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Count me in - lots of "antique" VHS tapes with me & DH showing H/J, doing some HT, clinicing w/Ralph Hill and our old dressage trainer...etc
    Oldest date back to the mid-80s!

Is there any way to identify for a pro doing the transfer what to edit out?
    F'rinstance:
    From the Ralph Hill clinics, I really do not need to see everyone at the clinic -non-pro taped for everyone and taped every.single.minute.
    I'd love to have just me & DH's sessions.

The only thing I could think of was to view the tapes, note the starting & ending time-marks for what I wanted to keep or ???
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Is there any way to identify for a pro doing the transfer what to edit out?

The only thing I could think of was to view the tapes, note the starting & ending time-marks for what I wanted to keep or ???
    That is the correct way to do it. You should also have the VHS tape cued up to the starting point.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

SweetMutt's Elf Guest

Per these folks:

http://www.homemoviedepot.com/easy_box.php

it's $399 for a box, the box being 18 x 13 x 3.

I'd definitely need editing on the Olympic broadcasts, those where they give a 5-hour window and show 1 hour of horses, so I also have gymnastics, shot putt, rowing, etc., etc. I wonder if "only copy the horse sports" would be enough.

ETA: I just built myself a pile of VHS and measured it, much to the amusement of the cats. I could fit 18 tapes into a stack 15 x 13 x 3 (6 piles of 3 tapes). That's roughly $22 per. Not too bad, especially for longer tapes, such as the complete Triple Crown from many years, full broadcasts.

A video tech at my daughter's college has this service and will take orders long distance....$8 a tape! I had a whole box of tapes copied to DVD. It was great https://www.facebook.com/CaffeyProductions?ref=stream
    "Is you or is you ain't my constituency?!"

I bought a VHS to DVD recorder and did it myself. I bought mine at Walmart, but I don't know if they still have them. You can only tape at normal speeds, and I did edit by pausing the DVD part to advance the video at times. The CD-R + or - type both work, and one type needs to be finalized, and the menu will tell you that when you look at the setup menu. The other type doesn't need to be finalized.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

The Dazzle is about $50, will allow you to upload from anything you have via an RCA cable. Comes with Pinnacle software.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.