The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First time goat owner might have a pregnant goat...

I saved my 5+ month old goat from an Amish man who was about to bring her to the auction. Paid for her on a Tuesday, in which she was in a pen with all does, and picked her up on a Saturday where she was with a buck (who knows how long!). Didn't really think anything of it until my vet came that week and asked if there was any possibility of her being pregnant. She doesn't look it but clearly it's early.

Stupid question....Do the human at home pregnancy tests work on other creatures? I'd like to know if she is or not, as I don't want a mid winter surprise. According to the goat gestation calculators online, if she was bred when i picked her up, she's due the end of january.
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Random Internet search brought this up.
    http://www.motesclearcreekfarms.com/...cy-testing.asp

Answer: no, because goat antibodies are used in human tests.
    Who knew, I old enough to remember the expression" the rabbit died" when determining human pregnancy.

Other than that, I found the link interesting, they ended up buying an ultrasound machine. I'm trying to imagine other uses for it. Kind of fun, I could see myself grabbing random guests and saying sit still, let's see what's in your abdomen.

No there is no test, you're just going to have to watch her and see. The vet might be able to palp and see...

Just feed her well and read up on the matter, it's not a huge deal if you have some place to get her out of the weather in January. She won't require a whole lot more as long as you're feeding her well and if your vet will come out and help if she has a hard time. If you are able to keep horses alive you will be able to get a goat through this!

There is absolutely a test. Not a human pregnancy test. Which tests for human hormones.

You cannot palpate a goat and tell if she is pregnant (until about three months along, when skilled hands can sometimes palpate kids through the stomach - many vets are *not* familiar with goats.)

Biotracking can take a blood sample and after 32 days can tell you if the goat is pregnant or not.

http://www.biotracking.com/

It's not even very expensive. I just did some blood testing on all my goats, it was $4 a sample for what I was doing. I believe pregnancy testing is $6 a sample.

Also take a look at fiascofarms.com/goats - there is an excellent section on caring for pregnant does and on labor and delivery and after care.

I would have her tested through Biotracking in a few weeks even if you have to have your vet come draw the blood for you. A pregnant doe that does not receive the proper diet and is carrying multiples, especially at this young age, can have some serious issues.

Most female goats die during kidding issues. (Poorly worded! The most common cause of death in female goats is due to kidding issues. )

Feel free to PM me anytime - this is prime breeding season for goats so if she was in with a buck, it only takes a moment. I am currently in the middle of breeding a very large amount of does, both mine and the does belonging to the dairy I work for. It's an interesting time of year, only beaten by kidding season itself.
    Last edited by Epona142; Sep. 27, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

Most goats die during kidding? How do they keep from being extinct or at least very endangered?

That was poorly worded - let me rephrase, my apologies.

The most common cause of death in female goats is due to kidding issues.

Does that make more sense?
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

Epona your experience is very contrary to mine. I live in the land of practical where I don't do a blood preg test on a goat and don't worry about them too much if I am capable of doing the care by myself.

Time will tell and so will fiascofarms and google.

ETA I guess we are able to provide both ends of the spectrum!

I almost never use a vet, so we're not as different as you think, perhaps. Goat care varies greatly from region to region, as well.

As I said, once a goat is past 3 months of gestation, I can nearly always palpate kids. Perhaps the owner does not wish to wait this long to know.

There are resources for pregnancy testing goats, which is what was asked for - though I will be honest and tell you all I actually do not pregnancy test my goats each year - they are bred and made note of. Goats that do not settle easily do not belong in my personal herd. (The dairy herd either, to be honest - the milk is important!)

However, it is an invaluable resource for smaller goat keepers or a new goat keeper who may like to know for certain if they are expecting some little bundles of joy. Especially in a young maiden goat.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

Very true!

If a local goat or pig farmer has a preg-tone monitor you can try that.
    "Sport N Curls"
    Sport Horse type Curlies and Sport Ponies with the mind, looks and athletic ability to compete in a variety of disciplines.
    www.seldomcreek.com

My neighbor flushes and embryo transfers the eggs. He's into registered goats that he sells and shows. I believe he ultrasounds the recips to check them.