The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Super cute 5 year old, 15.1hh Palomino Gelding in Ohio- Healthy and Sound with VIDEO!

I have this little guy that I have had almost a year now. I pulled him out of a very bad situation, and spent a lot of time, energy, and money getting him fattened up, teeth floated, feet sorted out, caught up on everything etc, etc, etc. I was told he was 5 years old when I picked him up and his teeth seem to confirm that.

The Good:
    -SUPER CUTE. Seriously he's adorable.
    -Nice little mover, big open stride, nothing exceptional, but overtracks at the walk and tracks up at the trot. Canter is a bit unbalanced but will be very rideable.
    -Actually very easy to ride. Not spooky, naughty, etc. Just goes around on a loopy rein, trots over poles and low fences with no issue.
    -Not a mean bone in his body
    -Sound and clean legged- looks like he had a small splint on his RF (or was it LF...) a while back
    -Has been barefoot his whole life, can live outside, easy keeper.

The Bad:
    -Toes in slightly in front. He does track straight.
    -I think he had a bad childhood. Many fear issues on the ground. Scared to death of bath time, spray bottles, clippers, etc.
    -He isn't spooky about THINGS, just about what you are going to do to him. i.e. will walk right over the scary blue tarp without blinking, but if someone is holding the blue tarp... YIKES! Mane pulling is an issue but we got it done because I couldn't stand his big bushy mane.
    -Needs a very quiet, patient handler that will go slow and help him build confidence.

He has gotten better than he was when he first arrived, but I don't really have time to put as much groundwork into him as he needs and his progress has really been slower than it should be as a result. I have been trying to sell him for a while, but money isn't the goal with this horse and I will happily give him to someone who will go slow with him, be kind and patient with him and do right by him.

Video under saddle here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi59AIoNl0

Please feel free to call, text or email me to discuss him further. (Texting is best at least at first, as my voicemail is acting up)

Located in Central Ohio.

Thanks!
    Eliza Farrell
    (630) 267-2341
    eliza@efarrellequestrian.com

He's adorrraaaable.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

The spook is not so hard to cure. Spray the air around him with water filled bottle, let him move his feet without stopping or correcting and stop only when he quits. One mare backed 100 feet to the end of the ring many times until she got it that I wasn't trying to trap and kill her! Same principle with anything scary.

That's a great little horse! He's solid and doesn't appear to behigh strung spooky natured...

he IS a cutie! But I am confused? the video has a link to an ad for him for sale for $1400...are you looking to sell, or giveaway?
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I think your answer is right in the initial post:

" I have been trying to sell him for a while, but money isn't the goal with this horse and I will happily give him to someone who will go slow with him, be kind and patient with him and do right by him."

ooops! thanks uphill...I went straight to the link to see the cutie, and missed that part!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I am in PA and would love you to PM me more information on him. I have a student looking for a life long partner. We do not mind fear of spray, baths, clippers, pulling mane. We can work with that, as long as he doesn't rear, bolt, bite, kick. We would be willing to work with him on trust, etc.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

@Aspenlucas... Feel free to email me any specific questions, or to call. (630) 267-2341 or eliza@efarrellequestrian.com Thanks!

In regards to pulling his mane, by the way, I have found many people, in order to get it done quicker, will wrap-and-yank. This was probably the standard method for mane pulling, but I have discovered a much easier (on the horse) method:

Wrap the mane, and apply slight pressure downward. The hair follicles will open, and with just a little bit more pressure, the mane is pulled. Voila! No more wrapping and yanking. Yes, it takes longer, but it's much easier, and for horses that aren't fond at wrapping/yanking seem not to have an issue with it.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    Wrap the mane, and apply slight pressure downward. The hair follicles will open, and with just a little bit more pressure, the mane is pulled. Voila! No more wrapping and yanking. Yes, it takes longer, but it's much easier, and for horses that aren't fond at wrapping/yanking seem not to have an issue with it.
    This is so true! My one horse required sedation for mane pulling until I tried this. It did take him a few times to stop getting nervous when first I started pulling, but once he realized it didn't hurt he started standing still. I found a video demonstration on another thread here on COTH which made me try it.

^ Same, I do this with my gelding, who is a PITA for mane pulling.

BUMP! Scout still needs a good home! He is fine to stay with me, but I'm not doing nearly enough with him right now, and he needs some consistent work and a person to bond with.

email sent
    Kathy

1 members found this post helpful.