The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Clearly I am not creative enough to be a criminal. Glue hair on large open wounds? I never would have thought of that and have no idea how one goes about that.
    Eeek.
    More like not F'd up enough to be this ignorant. I have plenty of creativity to be criminal, I am just too lazy.

But in case of abusive behavior like that? I'd worry about it festering up or something like that, leading to bigger problems than a spur hole in the side.
    ( those people really taking the fun out of the old joke about 'sticking the spurs in the old holes' )
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Count me in on not being creative enough to be a criminal, too. Never would I have thought to glue hair over a wound, just wouldn't have thought it.

Truly, I do not understand all the spurring going on. These horses are genetically slow pokes in the first place and then to spur them, to do what?? Go faster?? Then get into ranch horse classes. Which would be funny knowing how some ranch horses would take being spurred constantly, you'd be on your @$$ets pretty quickly. Maybe that's why they do WP horses, they know the horses aren't really going to do anything back.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Well, she's locked up for at least one day. That's more than most abusers ever get.

This is far from the first time she has been caught abusing horses. I'm glad someone is finally DOING something about it.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Truly, I do not understand all the spurring going on. These horses are genetically slow pokes in the first place and then to spur them, to do what??
    I believe they are spurred for other reasons, not to move forward. It is not the same training your brain is thinking. Spurring means stop or a reminder to bring their head down.

When I was younger I attended a clinic for a very well known well respected reining trainer. He was most known for his ApHC stallion they'd won all sorts of world tittles in reining and working cow horse etc.

I was STUNNED at how hard on the horses he was hard on their faces and bloodied their sides one right after another. His reasoning was he was teaching them to be light to the leg. One particular horse at the clinic was a fairly well known APHA stallion who had previously been a Western Pleasure horse , halter etc.

That stallion resisted him a bit and by the time their "training" session was done that stallion had half inch open wounds on his sides dripping blood , bleeding from his mouth , covered in sweat and arena dirt.

The strangest part is he flat wore that stallion out most would say went to far and was abusive. The second he climbed off that horse he took him up hosed him off and spent like 20 mins standing in the arena rubbing on his face and by all accounts loving on him while he started the next group of lessons.

I honestly left bewildered one min hes spuring and yanking the next hes petting and cooing at the same horse.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

The owners finally speak out. They were the ones who alerted the authorities of the abuse...or else this too would have gone unnoticed.

http://www.equinechronicle.com/break...-incident.html
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Quote Originally Posted by bugsynskeeter View Post
    The owners finally speak out. They were the ones who alerted the authorities of the abuse...or else this too would have gone unnoticed.

http://www.equinechronicle.com/break...-incident.html
    I sure hope someone can keep that person from ever being around any horse, at all.

Is it too much to hope for some lengthy jail time for her?

I would really like to see photos of the patch job- It brings to mind, I think it was an old Pink Panther movie- where a guy is wearing a wax disguise and it starts melting off his face while he's in a stressful situation.

I'd love to hear accounts from people who were there... did she actually make it out into the ring? Was she wearing GINORMOUS chaps or something? How did it actually go down?

The thought of all this happening to a two year old stallion just breaks my heart... how much can you expect from a two year old for goodness sakes... that would merit such a beating? Over the head wounds too!! OMG.

Her clinic page is still up on FB as of last night- although not updated in a while. The pictures of her make me sick.

Exactly goneriding- where does spurring even fit into the training plan?

Working a Showmanship pattern somewhere in the great Northeast...

From my understanding (based on several accounts posted on other forums) she did not make it to the show ring...owners were in the stands waiting for the horse to enter it's split, horse never showed up so went to the barn to see what was going on. They found a flurry of activity as everything was in the process of being loaded for a 'quick getaway', owners confronted SR and discovered the injuries to the horse.

Horse was only on the grounds for a day or so before event, was only ridden during the middle of the night, never went to the wash racks (where a steward was stationed) and never seen without a sheet on when people were around.

Again, just a summary compiled from several accounts posted on other forums...I have no idea how much is true, exagerated, etc.
    The best little horse show series around! www.WinningWeekends.com

OK- I just read the owner's account and I'm still confused... please correct me if I got this wrong>

she brings the horse to the show- owner sees the horse is fed line about rain rot...

she warms the horse up for the class away from the rest of the exhibitors

she does not go in the class and instead grabs her other horses and runs- first hiding the stallion in a secluded place- So at this point- she hasn't been oficially caught- but she's running already?

the next day the owner takes the stallion to the show vet and it hits the fan.

I just can't imagine the nerve!

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    OK- I just read the owner's account and I'm still confused... please correct me if I got this wrong>

she brings the horse to the show- owner sees the horse is fed line about rain rot...

she warms the horse up for the class away from the rest of the exhibitors

she does not go in the class and instead grabs her other horses and runs- first hiding the stallion in a secluded place- So at this point- she hasn't been oficially caught- but she's running already?

the next day the owner takes the stallion to the show vet and it hits the fan.

I just can't imagine the nerve!
    My guess, patch up job was not holding.
    Trainer got scared, as it was showing up and was hightailing out of there before anyone noticed.
    Too late, it seems, thankfully, as now she is caught, maybe to be put away for good.

Can't imagine anyone treating horses like it has been described here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    My guess, patch up job was not holding.
    I would think if it was only that she would blame it on the rain rot rubbing in the trailer or something.

There most certainly is a strange gap in that story.

She is blaming it on summer sores - was posted by her on her FB page the day after the show ended.

Word has it she never had the horse in the pens warming up - was riding in secluded areas in the middle of the night. She also kept it out of the wash racks and only sponged off in the stalls. Wash racks were being patrolled by AQHA stewards and would report blood being washed off of the horse.

ETA - while the thought of glueing hair onto raw areas is hideous enough, what caused me to get the sickest was the marks on the horse's face from being twitched so hard while the cover up was going on.

This is not her first rodeo. She deserves to be put away.

HOWEVER,

I'm always saddened when I come on these boards and breed shows are bashed to high hell. I've grown up riding hunters and over the last year, I've started riding on the APHA circuit. I'm learning just how to ride these horses (yes, including with spurs) and how difficult it is! The training is different as well, but in most cases - while it is a much *tougher* regime than any hunter barn I have *ever* been to, the horses are respected and appreciated. While this is a very bad situation, how many times have we seen training techniques like rollkur in the english realm?

I think a little appreciation would go a long way. This instance is atrocious, but is that a reason to bash the ENTIRE sport for two pages (so far)?

Regarding the wide use of spurs, my current lease horse has a spur stop on him. Most of the time, from what I understand, the reason people are constantly "bumping" the horses with the spurs is not to go forward - but actually as a cue to lift the ribcage/topline, lower the head, and shorten their stride. It's not a violent bump or roll, but rather just enough to jingle the spur and cue the horse. It's been incredibly difficult to let go of my calve and gently bump bump bump my horse along -- if I don't, he raises his head and hollows out -- if I hold with my leg like I ride my jumper, he slows down and we end up with an awkward jigging step because he isn't sure what I am asking. It's all crazy and backwards to my natural response after riding H/J for over a decade - BUT it's making me a better rider and better horsewoman as I am able to not only ride different types of horses, but get a grasp on the reasoning behind why they are trained as they are and the usage of their different "toolboxes" that may not exist in H/J land. It's an entirely different world, for sure, but that doesn't make it wrong or bad unless it's in the wrong hands.

EDIT to add: Also, in this case, she was very much being shady with her horses. But remember that let's not always assume terrible things and get on the bashing train. I was at the Reichert this year, longing in one of the round pens at 12:30 AM. The reason was completely benign -- they had to wait to set jumps until all of the evening classes had concluded. After sitting all day, we finally went to ride at 11:30 PM. My horse was being a pill and just absolutely not listening to any of my aides -- so I went and longed and set out to try again in the morning. I'm sure I got some weird looks by the lurkers who were still out that late, but just note that people at breed shows who are training when it's the middle of the night aren't always up to shenanigans.
    Veni vidi vici. With a paint pony, nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Arelle View Post
    This is not her first rodeo. She deserves to be put away.

HOWEVER,

I'm always saddened when I come on these boards and breed shows are bashed to high hell. I've grown up riding hunters and over the last year, I've started riding on the APHA circuit. I'm learning just how to ride these horses (yes, including with spurs) and how difficult it is! The training is different as well, but in most cases - while it is a much *tougher* regime than any hunter barn I have *ever* been to, the horses are respected and appreciated. While this is a very bad situation, how many times have we seen training techniques like rollkur in the english realm?

I think a little appreciation would go a long way. This instance is atrocious, but is that a reason to bash the ENTIRE sport for two pages (so far)?

Regarding the wide use of spurs, my current lease horse has a spur stop on him. Most of the time, from what I understand, the reason people are constantly "bumping" the horses with the spurs is not to go forward - but actually as a cue to lift the ribcage/topline, lower the head, and shorten their stride. It's not a violent bump or roll, but rather just enough to jingle the spur and cue the horse. It's been incredibly difficult to let go of my calve and gently bump bump bump my horse along -- if I don't, he raises his head and hollows out -- if I hold with my leg like I ride my jumper, he slows down and we end up with an awkward jigging step because he isn't sure what I am asking. It's all crazy and backwards to my natural response after riding H/J for over a decade - BUT it's making me a better rider and better horsewoman as I am able to not only ride different types of horses, but get a grasp on the reasoning behind why they are trained as they are and the usage of their different "toolboxes" that may not exist in H/J land. It's an entirely different world, for sure, but that doesn't make it wrong or bad unless it's in the wrong hands.
    Well, this is COTH and the AQHA is the devil, don't you know?

I too wondered why the title, when it was really about an abusive trainer, just happens to be in an AQHA show, could also have been called a WP abusive trainer, or just what it is, one more abusive trainer.

Not that the AQHA is not already after any abuse, as we can tell by how this trainer was acting and trying to get by and then hide from the stewards and get away.

Abuse is about abusers and most decent humans are already against any abuse.

Still, it is true that this was an AQHA trainer at an AQHA big show, a black mark by association on AQHA, WP, all trainers and really, on all that have anything to do with horses, when something like this can and did happen.

Arelle - please don't take my post that riding in the middle of the night = bad things. I too show and know that it might be the only time I have to school before I show. I was more pointing to the fact that she wasn't schooling in the rings even...she was schooling in areas CLEARLY not for riding.

I work for a western pleasure breeding farm and I have seen our babies loping across the field with their heads level/sl below the withers from the day they are born. Some are born to do it...others are made to do it and that is where the abuse comes in too often.

Wow what a crack head! And that poor stallion is only 2 yrs old. Texas is pretty good at thier animal abuse situations. I wish more states were.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    When I was younger I attended a clinic for a very well known well respected reining trainer. He was most known for his ApHC stallion they'd won all sorts of world tittles in reining and working cow horse etc.

I was STUNNED at how hard on the horses he was hard on their faces and bloodied their sides one right after another. His reasoning was he was teaching them to be light to the leg. One particular horse at the clinic was a fairly well known APHA stallion who had previously been a Western Pleasure horse , halter etc.

That stallion resisted him a bit and by the time their "training" session was done that stallion had half inch open wounds on his sides dripping blood , bleeding from his mouth , covered in sweat and arena dirt.

The strangest part is he flat wore that stallion out most would say went to far and was abusive. The second he climbed off that horse he took him up hosed him off and spent like 20 mins standing in the arena rubbing on his face and by all accounts loving on him while he started the next group of lessons.

I honestly left bewildered one min hes spuring and yanking the next hes petting and cooing at the same horse.
    And yet...you said nothing

Until people speak up..even if you are ejected from the seminar or facility..then you are implying your approval

Working a Showmanship pattern somewhere in the great Northeast...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

Still, it is true that this was an AQHA trainer at an AQHA big show, a black mark by association on AQHA, WP, all trainers and really, on all that have anything to do with horses, when something like this can and did happen.
    Actually AQHA approved shows at the Reichert Celebration ended on 9/6...per the owner the horse didn't arrive on the grounds until 9/7. The show ended with NSBA, APHA, POA-C, and some of the $$ Signature Classes.
    The best little horse show series around! www.WinningWeekends.com