The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Default Arena gurus - please chime in!

Load limits are lifted, and it's time for the ring to go in!

We have a somewhat strange situation where we live in that we are *LITERALLY* sitting on a gravel pit. We have excellent drainage and if we had more space would love to have a grass arena because it's amazing to ride on. However, space is limited, so we're putting in a 100x200 jumping ring. We have had 2 people come look at it. Neither have recommended putting in a full base because of where we are, they have said they'd have to dig out as much rock as they'd be putting back in. Basically the consensus seems to be to dig out 5 inches, put down 2 inches of stonedust, compact, and put in the sand. Should I start with 2.5 inches? Is stonedust what I want to use on those bottom 2 inches or should I use something else? Limstone screenings? Does the stonedust need to settle for awhile before I add the sand? Should I let it get rained on or water it down and then compact it some more?

Thanks in advance!
    Trinity Farm LLC
    Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
    Like us on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC

^ ha! same here. Where I built my barn is where the asphalt plant was located when the road was widened. I love it...the rock base means that my place drains FAST! and I hardly ever have standing water. I've literally been able to ride the day after a cat 2 hurricane.

What we did is level it as best as we could, then just hauled in the sand (a crushed shell similar to blue stone). I did do my sand quite heavy and borderline a bit deep because I was worried about jumping with the rock under the footing, but over the years its compacted down and I've just had to add sand as places get hard.

Biggest issue is that you have to be very careful what type of harrow you use or it will gouge the rock up. We just use a landscape rake turned around so the tines drag backwards and that does a fabulous job.

This was after a very heavy rain (I had two other barns haul in that weekend because they were flooded ).

freshly graded

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Jumpergirl_221, thank you! That helps so much. The drainage is amazing and we are hoping not to mess it up!
    Trinity Farm LLC
    Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
    Like us on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC