The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Dressage lessons in SoCal? (Somis/Simi Area)

So after nearly two years of searching for a new hunter/jumper trainer with no luck, I'm thinking it may be a sign.

At the moment, I do not own a horse--it's just not something our family can afford. Until I can pursue jumping on my own, I figured why not take some time to work on my dressage skills and build up that area of my riding?

So, now the question: can anyone recommend dressage trainers in the Simi/Moorpark/Somis/Thousand Oaks Area?

Seems like there are a number of H/J trainers in that area and dressage too.. although some may not have school horses..have you looked in Calif. horsemans directory?
    Not sure how you can be in that area and Not find a trainer in 2 years..
    "The Desire to Win is worthless without the Desire to Prepare"

It's a "KILT". If I wore something underneath, it would be a "SKIRT".

There are websites where I've found lists of dressage trainers, but before I go through the process I went through trying to find a H/J trainer, I've been asking around to see if there are a few that really stand out so I can see them first.

The hard part too, of course, is like you mentioned, finding one with lesson horses available.

There ARE some standouts, and some who aren't as good. You're right, though - finding one with good lesson horses can be a challenge. Are you willing to go out towards the Calabasas/Agoura area?

Anything in that area would be fine too if you know of anyone out there--I just didn't seem to have as much luck with it when looking online.

There are TONS of trainers in that area! Jeff Peters is one (I think that's him? My husband and I have known him forever, but we are blanking in his last name!) He's an eventer but is a brilliant rider and obviously knows dressage. There's also Ludger Thole, up in Ojai there is Malory Schneider who rides for Gail Hoffman-Carmona (and rode with Jeff for years.)

Yes, we have a ton of trainers of all sorts. Let us know what your previous experience and type of instruction you prefer and we can start to steer you in the right direction. As for the hunter jumper scene, my guess is that you are looking for something different than the Foxfield, Elvenstar, Fieldstone type riding schools? Also a ballpark on what you want to pay as it can range between $35 to $150 per lesson.

I actually started at Elvenstar. Last year, I took a few lessons with Foxfield, and a few days ago actually went to check out Fieldstone. I'm trying to avoid group lessons as I feel they tend to just work off of a formula and don't allow for specialized lessons or spontaneous lesson plans.

My trainer, who I was with for four years did private lessons only which allowed us to tailor the lesson to how things were going and feeling that day.

Although I've been searching for a trainer for almost two years, I still do ride multiple times in a week. And in total, I've been riding for 10 years or so.

With my old trainer, I was used to paying $60 for an hour and a half lesson, not including tacking up/un-tacking time. But we've also paid only $35 for lessons and up to $75 (which isn't preferred, but if it's a must, can be managed).

If you're willing to go to Old Topanga, you could try Millcreek.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

Where aren't there dressage lessons in the Somis area? I don't know all the trainers, but there is El Sueno, Keenridge where Hilda Gurney trains, Spirit Equestrian, White Birch, Marie Meyers...I could go on.

I wished I lived up there!
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Yes, but she's looking for somewhere with school horses. That narrows it down considerably.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

Hilda has school horses, and her prices are really fair.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

What about Peck Farm in Moorpark? Licensed H/J trainer, lesson horses, reasonable prices, private or group lessons....