The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Curious about show fees

Hi
    I'm new here.
    I was just looking through some prize lists and saw that a USEF recognized show had a Local Day that did not require exhibitors to pay any USEF fees on the Local Day. This show was part of the Brandywine Summer Series that was held at the Devon Show Grounds. This was the 2nd year that this policy was in effect at this show.
    My question is ~ Why did exhibitors not have to pay the USEF fees when this show was rated AA by the USEF? All of the other rated prizelists that I have, require the USEF fees be paid by all exhibitors, even in Local Classes and, sometimes (as in this case) even when there is a separate Local Day. Was there some special reason that this show was/is exempt from the USEF rules governing its shows?
    Thanks in advance for your response!

The Brass Ring Horse Show (also called Local Day) is not actually a USEF show at all. While I believe the Brandywine Valley Summer Series sponsors this show, it is not rated or recognized by USEF and the two are totally separate events. The classes at this show were more the type you would see at a true local show: 2' and 2'6 hunters and eq, I don't believe a single class was over 3'.

Lots of shows have an unrated day either before or after the USEF rated days. Usually the same judges, courses, etc. It's a nice option for those who appreciate the standards of a rated show but are not interested in USEF points.

Interesting...This show was advertised as being part of the Brandywine Summer Series and, according to the USEF and the Phelps newsletter, was part of that show. That's why I was wondering how they got away with not charging the usual USEF fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray925k View Post
    Interesting...This show was advertised as being part of the Brandywine Summer Series and, according to the USEF and the Phelps newsletter, was part of that show. That's why I was wondering how they got away with not charging the usual USEF fees.
    Because only one of the dates (the non-local day) is a USEF-registered competition.