The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

I hope you mentioned the missing roos.
    If they look in their car and house, even the trash, they may find some feathers or what's left.
    That, roo napping, may be be ground enough to hold them until they find out more about what went on.

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    In an odd turn of events, I've been on the phone with the local city police 5 times this morning (they called me), because they had some burglaries and theft reported and they are currently checking out the guy that was at my house as a possibility.
    Do keep us posted as the world turns... :=)
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

My friend is on the scene and she knows all about the roo napping. I had actually just spoken to her yesterday regarding everything that went on, so she was pretty much up to speed on it all. She's also the main officer over crime scene investigation and evidence on the force so if there is any evidence to found, she will be all over it.

I will let you guys know what I find out as soon as I hear anything.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Default This. all day long.

What RTR did was exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Here, we live right by I-40, half way between Chicago and LA and they catch all kinds of illegal stuff going down thru here every day, drugs, human traffickers and stolen goods of all kinds.
    Every single day that is in the news.

The last six weeks, there have been over 40 burglaries around here, some places been hit twice, the sheriff's office think it is a ring of travelers that will in a few more weeks move on.
    They did catch one local fellow a week ago driving around with an empty stock trailer around 2 AM, but can't pin anything on him, he had not made his hit yet.

There are people driving around with any excuse and playing dumb, that we know are casing places and watching activity, like a friend's nephew's farm, that someone came in thru the back pastures on foot, while he was going to town for his daily radiation, he has cancer and cleaned his house and garage out, taking all they could take in his own pickup, that they later abandoned several miles away, after burning it down.

A farmer picked up someone on the expressway with a flat tire and his spare flat, took him to his house to get his spare filled.
    The stranger killed him, took the farmer's pickup, that he traded for other stolen vehicle down the road and made it half way thru NM before he was caught.

Around here, you don't take people just driving or walking around lightly, not if you have any sense.
    You take all the information and pictures you can and let the sheriff know, so they can better watch out.

There are no trespassing signs everyplace and if someone is trespassing, sorry, you better beware, don't just assume they are harmlessly lost, we don't live in that world any more.

In an odd turn of events, I've been on the phone with the local city police 5 times this morning (they called me), because they had some burglaries and theft reported and they are currently checking out the guy that was at my house as a possibility. From what I could tell on the phone, they had him with them and were trying to run a check on him, but he said he had no ID- same story he gave at my house.

These officers are a different department than the ones that came to my house, but my friend is at this department and when she heard what was going on, she put 2 and 2 together and thought it sounded like the same guy that was at my house, so the detective had her calling me to get some more information. They are a bit peeved that the officer that came out didn't get this information which made them have to keep calling me about it.

I still have found no other sign of the roos and I looked pretty extensively yesterday. I found the few clumps of feathers near their car, only from one roo as they were different colors, but have not found any blood, body parts, or larger areas of feathers. I just don't think there is any way it could be an animal that took them.
    See...it pays to go with your gut!! Keeps you from becoming a news story and/or statistic!!
    As far as the roosters go. If the guy asked if they were Polish...he probably didn't want them to eat, but breed!!! I'd check his living area for the birds.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    To quote my retired cop husband:

Laws and Locks only deter honest people.
    They also deter lazy dishonest people.

If there are two similar houses, one locked and gated and the other one open, the thief will go for the easier target.

And stupid ones
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post

As far as the roosters go. If the guy asked if they were Polish...he probably didn't want them to eat, but breed!!! I'd check his living area for the birds.
    Okay. I've just read through this entire thread 3 times & must be missing the part where the guy asked if the roosters were Polish. Can you point me to this post?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Okay. I've just read through this entire thread 3 times & must be missing the part where the guy asked if the roosters were Polish. Can you point me to this post?
    Post 24
    Now that I think about it, the man asked if I had any Polish chickens, and one of the missing roos was part Polish and had a head poof with feathers down his legs. I wonder if that's why he asked.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Post 24
    Thanks!!!

I agree that this perv just asking if you had Polish chickens is automatically suspect. But again - I would've made the dumb-ass sheriff make them pop the trunk at the time of. It's most likely too late now - even if the chickens are on their property now. You'd need proof.

I really feel sorry for the OP. While I'm definitely not a scaredy-cat, life is too short to live with these types of neighbors & these types of law enforcement. I'd be looking to move elsewhere rather than live my life leery of leaving home & in constant lock-and-load mode.

It's the sleepy "safe" neighborhoods where people disappear.
    Heck, one of our school superintendants turned up dead this weekend. Found shot to death on his property line in a quiet rural area.
    Mr. Reed? If so, you are 10 minutes away from me.

Small world, huh?

What scares me is the stuff that doesn't make the news. To heck with the news, marry a cop. That'll make you vigilant.
    truth. Time 10.

OP, I think you handled it just right.

There is a good reason to be wary of strangers wandering around your property and there is good reason to call for help.

I am disappointed in the LEO who showed up, anytime I send an officer, there is a number taken. If I don't take a number, I don't send 'em.

I'm not an alarmist and I am not afraid of people, but this whole story sounded funky to me.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    Mr. Reed? If so, you are 10 minutes away from me.

Small world, huh?
    Yup. Sure is. Probably 20 minutes, but wow, I never picked up on you being a neighbor before.

A real shame, he seems to have been very well regarded.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

Yup. Sure is. Probably 20 minutes, but wow, I never picked up on you being a neighbor before.

A real shame, he seems to have been very well regarded.
    yep not far at all. I see they have a suspect tonight, hope they catch him soon.

No, they weren't in my driveway, I may have misspoke before. They were parked in a field off from my drive and I saw them from my driveway. And why would they worry? If someone is going to kill you, you can't be a witness. The note is the same as "Hey little girl, want some candy?", a lure.

You would probably be surprised at your neighborhood. Ever watch the news? There are stories all the time about people who killed whole families and lived in their house for weeks before anyone figured anything was up. How long was that little girl kept and raped in a storage building in that couple's backyard before anyone found her? Long enough to have 2-3 kids by her rapist. The tiny town where I grew up had 2 serial killers come through. One was caught in a hotel there and the other killed a family of 7 and buried them on the property, not a mile from my grandmother- Henry Lee Lucas.

No, I don't think the worst in people and I don't think everyone is out to get me, but I'm smart enough to realize the time we live in, where people are poor and hungry and desperate. If these people had left a note asking if they could come look on my property, I would have called them and let them come look, but they crossed the line and I'm not sure how far over the line they are capable of going.
    I'm sorry, but I couldn't make it through this thread without commenting. If I'm repeating previous comments, sorry in advance.

I've got to tell you that I'd be furious faced with your situation. And I am genuinely shocked, but admittedly not surprised, by some of the observations here as well. I'll be damned if I would take a passive approach towards intruders on my property, note or not. I don't blame you at all and would raise hell to whomever I needed to in the police department. If the officers don't deem trespassing a crime, maybe they need another job.
    For those of you that would "discuss" the matter with trespassers, that does nothing except encourage entitlement behavior. Geez, going to bed.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

Ok so I am thoroughly confused by this thread.. but one thing I am glad of.. That none of my animals have wandered onto half of the posters properties here!
    "Sport N Curls"
    Sport Horse type Curlies and Sport Ponies with the mind, looks and athletic ability to compete in a variety of disciplines.
    www.seldomcreek.com

It's not about animals wandering on to property. Stuff happens, no matter how diligant you are trying to prevent it. It's about how you approach retrieving them, about respecting the rights of the property owner. It's about announcing your presence and your reason for being there. All these things we learned as children on & around farms to keep yourself from staring down the barrel of a shotgun or getting a load of rock salt in your butt... Make your presence known. "Hi, I'm Mark, I'm sorry to bother you, but a tree took out our common fence and my horse is in your pasture." And having the halter and lead rope in hand is a huge plus.

Small, but very relevant-to-this-thread point of fact: The vast majority of crimes on farms are committed by someone with no legal right or invitation to be there, ergo, the crime starts with them trespassing on the land (misdemeanor) and then to whatever other crimes they wish to commit (which turns the trespass to a felony, criminal trespass) in many states.

Not discussing boarder tack theft or family theft here :=)

Recent crimes committed on farms include:

Murder (Morgan Harrington, anyone? body dumped on farm)
    Attempted murder
    Rape/Sexual Assault
    Arson (How many barn fires lately, eh?)
    Dumping & burning stolen vehicles
    Livestock theft (else netposse would be out of business)
    Livestock wounding/killing (Frying pan park slashings, shot horses in pastures)
    Metal Theft
    Tack theft
    Burglary
    illicit drug manufacturing (heck they even do that in the wal mart bathroom!)
    drug "transactions"

It all starts with them crossing the property line with the purpose of committing a crime in relative seclusion. With the exception of harrington and frying pan, every single one of those crimes has happened on farms within a 25 mile radius. And this is not repeat not a "bad area" it's a rural ag area with gentlemen farmers, working livestock farmers, hobby farmers, ranchers, and retirees; all whom still believe in being pillars of the community.... being adversly affected by the druggies and crap coming in from the city for a free-for-all bender at the local club.

The most common statement you read about in the news: "I never thought it could happen here"

Now, noone is saying "charge in with weapons drawn and pin them down in a firefight until the cavalry arrives" but here's the cold, hard facts... there are people out there to whom your life is at best a minor annoyance and at worst a real threat of prison time or worse; whose sole mission in life is to take and/or destroy; who make their "living" off the crimes they commit; or who simply get their jollies off on watching things burn or bleed.

You can't bury your head in the sand and make them go away anymore than you can stop the sun from rising. The world is not what we wish it to be, it is what it is... and it can change in a flash.

So, you take reasonable, practical steps to protect yourself, your family, and your property. If you see a car you don't recognize, parked in a reasonably suspsicious place, you investigate. If someone seems suspicious, you investigate. If things aren't where they're supposed to be, you investigate. If you feel there is a threat, for whatever reason, you call the police/sherriff/etc. If you feel there is a threat of life or limb, it's better to be armed than not be armed.

It's not about being John Wayne or Clint Eastwood or Bruce Willis or Keifer Sutherland. It's about living to see the next sunrise.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

2 members found this post helpful.

This just about sums it up.

I just received word that 3 people were arrested yesterday for theft, but that was all that could be released at this time, so I'm not sure if any of them were my people or not yet. I will let you know as soon as the pd can release more information.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :