The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    I didn't mention the roos because it was possible that they were hiding or somewhere besides in front of the stables. They free range, so they could have been anywhere. When they did not come to roost later that night, I knew they were gone for sure, but still couldn't be entirely sure the people had them which is why I searched for bodies or parts or signs of an animal attack. I didn't connect the whole Polish chicken comment until the next day.
    Ah - but you DID see a fair amount of feathers right around their car. That & the fact that they were definitely trespassing & definitely suspicious = probably cause. There was absolutely no reason why the officer (imbecile that he was) could have possibly turned down a request to search their vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    More like once per week.
    Does it count if I take a shot and miss?

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I'd be a lot more afraid of knocking on a door and having that Honey Boo Boo family answer than someone with a firearm.
    Oh, thank god I'm not the only one totally skeeved out by those people. Honestly I'm not sure which way I'd run if confronted with a choice between them and a chainsaw wielding maniac.

1 members found this post helpful.

When I was growing up, the long guns were in grandpas broom closet next to the brooms and the dog food. Guns were always around; you knew how to use them; you knew the difference between right behaviour and wrong behaviour, and you only pointed the barrel at the ground, the target, or the vermin you were trying to dispatch. Most of us don't think anything of having them. It just surprises me that anyone would be terrified of the "consequences" of walking up to someone's front door and knocking and being polite

Different places, different times
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Exactly. My dad wouldn't even let me "shoot" people or the dog or the chickens with sticks. I learned early how to keep control of the gun barrel in a group. It was quite a shock when I went hunting with my uncles and they allowed (unloaded and loaded) guns to point at anyone and everything. One even wanted to see my new rifle, and dry-fired it! If you don't know, that is not something you do because it's hard on the firing mechanisms; also that it may not have been unloaded, because accidental shootings often happen when the shooter thought the gun was empty.

It's not as bad on modern guns. I always dry fire the P99 once after I unload.. And especially after I break down and clean i'll do a full action cycle or two to make sure it's all hunky dory and to let the oil get to where the oil needs to go.

Eta: the dry fire after unload is my dumb arse protection.. Just to make absolutely 100% sure the pipe is empty. Aim safe, and click. No fire, you did it right
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

RR--I think they were scoping your place, covering their tracks with a pitiful "note"and taking the rooster either as a warning to see what you would do--a show of power.

Shame on your police. They should have made a report, promised to watch your place and follow up on these trespassers.

I once had someone passed out drunk at the end of my driveway when I arrived home. At first I thought it might be a neighbor's car stuck, but when I saw someone in it I got the license plate and called the cops, who informed me that drunk was no one I ever wanted to meet under any circumstances. You deserved better from your law enforcement and I hope you follow through on the offer to say just that.

Two thoughts--get one of those driveway beepers that notify you when someone comes down the drive so you can be prepared. Then install motion light detectors in weird places.
    Our place lights up like a Christmas tree if I turn them all on.

Be safe, be prepared. I do not think you have seen the last of them yet.
    Last edited by NMK; Oct. 4, 2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: add

The plot thickens....

My hay guy come by my house yesterday to check my pastures to see when he could cut. He asked how things had been around the farm and I told him about the intruders. Hay guy then proceeds to tell me that the intruders were really full of crap because he had caught the girl's horse the day it dumped her and it wasn't in or near my pastures. He said that in looking for where the horse came from (fully tacked up horse wandering in his hay field), he tracked the horse's hoof prints and poop piles back to the area where the girl was dumped and they were never near my land. He is the one that returned the horse to the intruders the same day they parted company which was days before they showed up at my house. Hay guy was concerned, he's an older fatherly sort of figure, and said he was going to check things out. Since part of the good ole boy club in the area, I'm sure he will get some answers.

As for the 3 people arrested for theft/burglary. We think that one of them is one of my guys. The description seems to match up, but since I don't know the guy by name, only description, I'm not certain it is him. The information he gave police about where he was from seems to match up with what they told me as well.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Hmmmmmmmm.... curiouser and curiouser!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Good lord, RTR. Your local law enforcement really did you a dis-service. If that happened to me, I'd probably have about a zillion LEOs so up. I think they get a thrill from getting to turn on their sirens and zooming down the highway. That's OK by me!

One night, my neighbor called 911 at about 11p.m. one night to report a woman laying on a wooden bridge across a ditch in front of my old house. (They tried to call me but I was on the phone with my SO and didn't have call waiting.) About 15 cops from two different local towns and some sheriffs showed up all with lights blazing. I had all my blinds closed so I had no idea they were out there until a sheriff knocked on my door. Normally, I wouldn't have answered but I left my SO on the phone and went to the door with my gun in hand to yell through the door for an ID. After he id-ed himself, I looked out of my window to see if he was who he said he was. My place was lit up like a drug raid was going on! I guess it was a slow night in the county.

Back then, I lived on a major US highway. Now I live at the tail end of a dead end dirt road with no close neighbors. I'm meeting anyone that sets off my driveway alarm with a gun with me (not out but on my person) if it's not the fedex guy or some other delivery person. I'm a single woman living alone. Hardly anyone comes down my little, lonely road and random people certainly don't come to my door for any good reason.

What worries me are the stories of knocks on doors where the person doesn't answer. I will seldom answer my door if I don't know someone is coming. One reason is that my front door has a big oval glass piece that goes from about 8" from the top of the door to about 8" from the bottom. If I'm not decent or just feeling anti-social, I don't answer the door. Scary to think someone might kick my door in. I do, however, have a driveway alarm that helps alert me so I can check the drive. That's a plus. The minus is I don't have any blinds up or if I do have them up, I don't ever close them.

Guess it's time to start sleeping in more than a t-shirt and undies.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    I find it mind-boggling that people react this way, with thoughts of violence and automatically calling police.
    The people in question weren't exactly sneaking around.
    The people in question did not act in a threatening manner.
    The people in question were trespassing, yes, and were clearly idiots, but they DID leave a nice note trying to explain why they were there.

If they weren't looking for some lost item, what do you think they were out there doing?

So if we accept that you can actually tell by looking at a car whether someone is down on their luck (I doubt this very much, some well-off folks keep their cars in quite a mess), isn't it possible that someone paid them to go look for the lost item? why else would they be there?

what about this scenario warrants calling the cops, and getting guns, and talking about shooting intruders? nothing.
    Did you somehow miss the history that was just posted? Or, on the other hand, that there was a car backed up to her barn and people roaming about the pasture who really had no rational reason to be there, since, how could it be explained that the blu tooth device was lost in her pasture when it is fenced, gated and locked? Does trespassing really not bother you at all, do you open up your property to any kind of person to roam about? No, I do not think so, nor do you live in Texas where OP does. You need to do a quick culture check. What really I cannot get over is the picture of the sick child that wants attention so badly that it tries to hold the hand of a stranger, and the sick mother saying that a 7 YEAR OLD BOY, likes women with big breasts? Does this not make anyone else sick that something else is going on here. I am so sorry OP. I have to say that I would sell up and move. I could not take this.

OP, I would be stepping this up a bit with a letter to your Congressman about this situation with the police department. I know this might make things a bit rough, but this is really worrisome for your safety, especially that I just read the followup. Something is really not right here.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

So, I read the first few pages, but not all of the thread.

WHat I want to know is if the roosters ever showed back up or did those tresspassers take them?

If so, RTR did you file a police report? Forget the guy who was dispatched was so lazy, go to the office and file a report.

Also, where do you guys get those driveway alarms? any recommendations?

RTR, good on your hay guy, I would also invest in a gate and lock it when you are home or gone. Those people sound like losers and who would want them creeping around your place?
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I have an older version of this alarm:

http://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-CW...driveway+alarm

It works well until the cats manage to pull the power cord loose. I've had it for years and love it.

any update on this? Hope you are safe and well!
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Tried to pm but inbox is full. This has me a bit scared. Does anyone live near RR who could check her out, or know her and can call?

Gads.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    Tried to pm but inbox is full. This has me a bit scared. Does anyone live near RR who could check her out, or know her and can call?

Gads.
    If you look at her profile, it says her last activity was Oct. 19, 2012.

RR, hope all is well. Please do update us if you can.

Oh boy, duh, did not think to do that. Hope all is well.

John F Kennedy

Reported the above post. But, since we are here, any updates?

Yes updates please??

And let me say how shocking it is to see how naive people are. Now I understand why there is so much talk of gun bans and restricting gun laws. People don't have a clue. OP absolutely did not overreact to the situation at hand. There are a lot of people out there with the intent to do harm. She had no way of knowing whether they were there to steal from her, rape her, or worse. It was absolutely abnormal behavior for them to come on her property in such a manner so she had every right to be overly cautious in her dealings with them. Too bad the deputy who visited her didn't exercise the same level of caution.

Come on people, please read a newspaper or watch the freaking news for a change. There are a lot of good people in the world but we don't live in a bubble. There is a lot of really bad stuff that happens every day to unsuspecting victims.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

So what was the final outcome?

(popped over from the link you posted in the Red Flag topic)
    "Let's face it -- Beezie Madden is NOT looking over her shoulder for me anytime
    soon . . . or ever, even in her worst nightmares."

Member, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

Yes, please update!
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~