The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What will kill foxtail?

I am in SE VA, and I need to get rid of all the foxtail that has sprung up! I usually use pasture pro, but it is not labeled to kill foxtail. Other suggestions? Thanks!

Even though it's not listed as a controlled weed on the labels, I've periodically tried Pasture Pro, Grazonnext and 2-4D (all laced with Remedy, the next-best-thing to Roundup) with absolutely no success. I Googled it once and the best answer I could find was spraying with Roundup. It will kill everything that gets sprayed, of course, and you'll have to reseed the whole area. The only other possible suggestion I found was to use a pre-emergent next spring. *sigh* Hopefully someone else will chime in with some better ideas or suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    I am in SE VA, and I need to get rid of all the foxtail that has sprung up! I usually use pasture pro, but it is not labeled to kill foxtail. Other suggestions? Thanks!
    two years of grain crops.

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

http://www.weasa.wsu.edu/WRCAMeeting...%20Control.pdf

Kerb. If you don't follow the directions for spraying when the good grass is dormant, you will kill your pasture.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    two years of grain crops.

Tamara
    Like overseeding with winter rye?

Like overseeding with winter rye?
    no like killing everything that moves/grows in it for two straight years.

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Oh, well, this is one of two of my large pastures, sadly don't have the ability to do that!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

There was just an article from the Mississippi Extension service in our Delta Farm Press that talked about this. Their recommendation for foxtail, which is the most prevalent weed in Mississippi pastures, was a wick bar and Roundup.
    http://deltafarmpress.com/livestock/...&sfvc4enews=42

You let the weeds grow higher than your grass and then run the wick bar with Roundup over the top. It also works for Johnson grass and most tall weeds. Best with bermuda grass pasture.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I have had some areas of it in my pastures. Last year in the worst area I kept that patch mowed with a mower (not a bush hog like the rest of my pastures) that was set to cut very low and timed it so that the seedheads were cut before they had a chance to mature. I was actually surprised this year when the new crop of it came in at how effective the close mowing seemed to be.

Foxtail is a grass not a broad leaf weed. Nor does it fall into the weed category. It is a “pest” pasture/field grass of little nutritional value. Here in SE PA it only really shows itself in late August, September and is referred to as an unwanted fall grass. It is an annual, so it has to reseed itself each year. Forage grasses are perennials that grow back each year from established root systems and some types reseed themselves well enough.

The fact that Foxtail, and there are 3 types in this part of PA, is of the grass “family” using 2-4D which is a broad leaf herbicide will have little to no effect on it. It will however kill any clover that is in the field/pasture. They only way to try and control its spreading is by trying several management techniques to keep it from reseeding. As explained in this article none of which I have tried as of yet. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/03101.html

Our hay fields were planted with Orchard, Timothy and some clover in 2005 having been converted from being used for tillage/crop use by the previous owners of the farm. So it was a “pure” stand seeded in prepared, cleared soil. Unfortunately due to several factor in the last couple of years, periods drought, the high cost of fertilizer, etc, the stand has thinned considerably in areas which allows for the “pest grasses” and weeds to move in.

As the article points out Foxtail and other “pest” can be controlled and or eliminated by not mowing the desired grasses below the recommended heights. Which does not allow enough light for emerging “pests” to establish and will die off. But this is only effective if the desired grasses are reasonably “thick” and well established. Given the fact that hay fields are cut several times a season this is not practical. Around here our second cutting sometimes 3rd is done in early to mid July. July to early August is usually hot and the driest part of the summer so the fields are most vulnerable. Each year more and more Foxtail has moved in diminishing the quality of our 4th cutting.

I have been told by those I respect and have read the only way to completely eradicate is a total kill using “ground clear” herbicide. And timing is everything if you plan on reseeding. Or take the section of the field/pasture out of grass/hay production and till crops for 2 years as Tamara posted. But I have been told that there is still a good chance of residual seeds taking hold. Like any pasture, field management the same rules apply. Do not over graze, fertilize and over seed to maintain a thick stand so as to crowd out or not offer opportunity. Easier said then done.

As I stated above there are several types of Foxtail each having their own characteristics though somewhat similar when it comes to their seed heads. But never the less all are grouped into one. None are by and large poisonous to horses. The seed heads are what cause problems. (for those who do not know what I mean please do the research) MAINLY those of the giant foxtail the operative word being giant. Which in our area is not nearly as prolific as it’s much smaller cousin. What I have found with the “small variety” is to cut or top as it called the seed bearing stems once they are higher then the surrounding grass. Yes, the seed heads are left in the field but I found when cut immature the seeds crumble quite easily. Unfortunately they grow back quite quickly so it has to be repeated until baled and or they give up. And they should not be allowed to “harden”. We have fed horses with a bit of this type of foxtail in the bales for years and have never had any problems. That’s not to say that there will be an exception. But I have found no reason to discard hay from parts of the field that has SOME foxtail in it. I would avoid hay that has the giant verity that seems to be more prevalent in more western regions.
    Of course this is just my opinion based on my experience in this area of SE PA.
    Last edited by gumtree; Oct. 2, 2012 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    There was just an article from the Mississippi Extension service in our Delta Farm Press that talked about this. Their recommendation for foxtail, which is the most prevalent weed in Mississippi pastures, was a wick bar and Roundup.
    http://deltafarmpress.com/livestock/...&sfvc4enews=42

You let the weeds grow higher than your grass and then run the wick bar with Roundup over the top. It also works for Johnson grass and most tall weeds. Best with bermuda grass pasture.

Though this is an interesting and emerging method of applying a “ground clear” herbicide also generally referred to by the brand name Roundup it would only be useful on types of pest grasses that grow taller then the surrounding desired grass. Like Giant Foxtail. The predominate foxtail that we have to deal with in the Mid-Atlantic or at least in SE PA, Maryland and the parts of Northern Virginia that I am familiar with grows to about the same height as the orchard and or timothy in our hay fields along with the bluegrass in our pastures. Worth a try but most likely you will kill off a lot of the wanted grass also.

Anyone tried DuPont's Pastora?
    This product is grass specific for Bermuda. Being located in SE VA that maybe your predominate pasture grass? But the label does not site Foxtail. So I doubt it would be effective. It would be best just to call your local county Ag extension agent and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Watts View Post
    http://www.weasa.wsu.edu/WRCAMeeting...%20Control.pdf

Kerb. If you don't follow the directions for spraying when the good grass is dormant, you will kill your pasture.
    This article is “area specific” Colorado or the west in general. A bit different here in the east.

I'm here in Georgia and *poof* Foxtail has popped up overnight. I spoke with our extension office and some older farmers in our area to get ideas how to rid the pasture of Foxtail. Yeah, it's not fun.

First of all, I don't have the ability to mow and till Foxtail into the ground and then till again and prep and seed with a grass that will prevent Foxtail from coming back, and I sure as heck don't want to use an indiscriminant herbicide (see "RoundUp.") The above poster was correct: Foxtail is not a broadleaf weed so your common items Graze-On, Brushmaster, etc. won't kill Foxtail, but it will kill clover and some other growth in your pastures.

Also, if you plan on using RoundUp, etc. in your pasture area, then you have to use it when Foxtail is still an immature plant and under 5" or so in height (without having bloomed.)

The farmers in our area just suggested waiting until it dies off again, mowing the heck out of it. Mowing it again...and again....and again....to prevent it from coming up, and then in March use a pre-emergent weed killer to prevent it from coming up...and then mowing...mowing...mowing....and doing it all over again. Sounds fun, doesn't it? Another farmer mentioned doing what we did this year to our numerous thistle plants (thank you, former folks, who did not perform ANY pasture management!) Cutting off the seed heads, putting them in a plastic bag, discard the plastic bag OFF-SITE, and MOW. That would have been all well and good if it was a smaller area, but it's not.

Any other weed on our farm is pretty easy to manage (either manual removal or a 2-4D, Cambria mixture - Brushmaster,) but not Foxtail >
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

I am in year 3 of mowing mowing mowing mowing and roundup Johnson Grass.

Foxtail just arrived.

What pre-emergents are suggested for horse pasture? I can keep them off it all spring summer but would still like recommendations.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

You all really should look into Wick bars and RoundUp. You can have them made to any length you like, and they even come hand held.

If you can keep them off the pasture all spring and summer, MSMA is a possibility.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire