The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Purchasing CANTER Colt?

Hi, all--

Just bought a farm (!!!!!), and am shopping for horse #2. I've really been enjoying all of the CANTER threads here lately--now if only I had the guts to buy some of these gorgeous creatures sight unseen!

Anyway--I found a CANTER boy close enough for me to go take a look-see in person. Love the conformation, size, color, pedigree, age--all perfect. Except that he's intact.

Has anyone on the board purchased a colt from the track? How did you handle logistically? Ideally, I'd want him gelded before I picked him up, but guessing that's not really an option? I can keep him separate/quiet at home, but I suspect that my paddocks are not stallion-proof if he wanted to make a fuss...surely someone has run into this issue before and found a solve?

I've handled enough stud colts in the past to know that I want nothing to do with them. But this guy looks niiiiice. Would love to have a plan in mind before I call the trainer. Any/all help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Help me figure out how to buy this horse!

Thanks!

I would not think it would be an issue at all the have him cut at the track.

He will need a period away from mares as everything works through the remaining plumbing, so to speak. I think it is 60 days?

If you're worried about your fencing, you could ask the trainer if she or he has a farm locally that would suit, or if they know of anyone. Or you could beef up your place with some hot wire!

Seriously?!? I wouldn't be ridiculous to dicuss have him gelded before I picked him up? Wow--that would be tremendous.

Understand the hormones/plumbing issues, and no mares on the property, so nothing to worry about there. (though, hmmmm...there are mares across the street and next door...would have to think about that some more) Should I be worried about turnout with my gelding after an appropriate intro?

Thanks again!

I agree as long as your fences are safe enough for mares and geldings, just beef up your fencing with some hot wire. Most colts right off the track are well socialized. They live in stalls next to fillies, they train in company with fillies and mares, and they train on the track and walk in the shed row all around fillies and mares. They aren't quite like buying a stallions that's been breeding a few mares for a few years and living very isolated from other horses. 60 days away from turnout with mares and they'll be good to go.

Most track vets are quite capable of gelding them standing in the stall. Just tell the trainer, you'd rather have him gelded before you ship him home just for the convienence of it. They'll more than likely even help you get it set up with their track vet.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

I actually have bought several colts as resale projects. It's not like they have been breeding and a good majority are not at all studdish in behavior. I bring them home, geld them and turn them right out with the herd.

They may be willing to geld him at the track and do the cold hosing for you if you pay a fee.

Horses are gelded on the track all the time

With regard to turning him out with a gelding friend after a suitable introduction period--it just depends. But a young horse that hasn't really learned what mares are all about and hasn't ever been bred? It's quite likely that he will adjust to being a gelding just fine, including being in a herd situation!

I stalked one at River Downs and brought him home intact. Since he was four I had him gelded at the clinic and they kept him for a few days. Our alpha gelding taught him manners. He had a nice temperament so that was in his favor from the beginning. Penn's CANTER program has a gelding incentive if he's from there. Really, I found it to be no big deal.

Nancy

Not a big deal at all. I gelded one at 5. He was in normal fencing etc. Another I bought as a youngster and we gelded him at the PPE. (he passed and got snipped--all in one).

If you like him...don't let the fact that he is intact stop you.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Perfect--THANK YOU! I'll make arrangements to go see him this weekend. Appreciate all of your help!