The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

That seems like an unusually large number of horses not to pass? And the vet sounds like a jerk who hopefully will not be doing FEI stuff in the future.

1 members found this post helpful.

That is unbelievable. You really need to know the FEI rules to protect yourself from good intentions but not proper procedures. Flexing a horse during a event would definalty be on the list of things that I would freak out about. Checking for sore tendons/ligaments are one thing but a full out flexion? now way! As the article says, this event at that level isn't exactly cheap, 800 dollars just for the event, then you have the travel costs and the time. The last FEI event that I rode in cost me around 1700 dollars to do it. That isn't exactly cheap. As Boyd said, you better have someone there to protect you from the stress of being in the holding box. Even if you don't have a trainer, there are plenty of people that would be more than happy to be your advocate in the vet box. Be brave and ask for help.
    This is probably one of the reasons why I am not doing a fall FEI event, it costs too much and its way too stressful getting through the trot up.

6 members found this post helpful.

From the FEI Vet Regs, Section 1033, Part 31. The Holding Box Veterinarian will perform a physical examination of the Horse as
    follows:

a) any area considered injured or painful will be palpated,
    b) hoof testers may be used to evaluate pain in the feet,
    c) passive flexion of the distal limb joints will be performed to assess the range of
    motion of the joint(s).
    d) active flexion tests (flexion of the joints followed by trotting away) are not
    permitted. (Bold is mine.)

2 members found this post helpful.

Madness.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Damn
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

I am sorry to read this article, for a number of reasons. I don't know the vet but know someone who does and has the greatest respect for him. Amongst other things, he was formerly a Canadian Olympic Team vet and later volunteered for 16 years in Morocco tending to animals there.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Then he should know the rules.

9 members found this post helpful.

And so should the competitors and the ground jury, no?

(I think the whole situation is unfortunate. I have been a competitor at FEI jogs, only one of which was less than a 15-hour drive away. I would not want to have been in this situation.)
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I'm not sure what the difference between passive and full flexions are, and why the full flexions are not ok... Is it because most horses fail an "active" flexion test (i.e it is too much to ask for most horses not to have some pain/tension during the test), or because the test can injure them?

My trainer was one of those. She was VERY upset to say the least. I feel for her and everyone else

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

This could only happen at a CCI--I think. I can't remember if not having a jog is mandatory at CICs, but the FEI seems to be discouraging it.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

InFlippingSane I would be freaking livid especially since my horse has issues with flexions. You flex him in the fetlocks and he limps away but trots sound otherwise. He is a complete baby about some flexions. This is BS and if I was the competitor I would have had a cow over the vet flexing the horse.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

The comments on COTH's FB page are all over the map. Seems a lot of people out there believe flexion is a definitive indicator of soundness, which amazed me. Vet was in the wrong to perform the flexions. He should have based his decision on whats allowed.

Here is a link to the FB discussion.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

3 members found this post helpful.

The comments on some of the FB replies are a little alarming and out there.. Anyone have the actual video[s] of the horses jogging in question?
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    The comments on some of the FB replies are a little alarming and out there.. Anyone have the actual video[s] of the horses jogging in question?
    Check out Thehorsepesterer on YouTube. At least one is up now and I think he got both. Only the preliminary jog though.
    "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
    www.useaiv.org

Between this, Jock Paget, and Jackie Mars, it's been a crazy week in the eventing world.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangsal85 View Post
    Check out Thehorsepesterer on YouTube. At least one is up now and I think he got both. Only the preliminary jog though.
    thank you! I will have to check out tomorrow on my phone. My computer doesn't like youtube!
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Quote Originally Posted by WinsomeTK View Post
    I'm not sure what the difference between passive and full flexions are, and why the full flexions are not ok... Is it because most horses fail an "active" flexion test (i.e it is too much to ask for most horses not to have some pain/tension during the test), or because the test can injure them?
    Passive is like picking up the leg and bending it to check for range of motion but not holding the bend, just seeing if the horse CAN bend the joint all the way.

Active flexion is picking up the leg and HOLDING a particular joint flexed for a certain amount of time and then requiring the horse to trot off afterwards.

The point of the rule is that it's safe to assume that any horse at the top level might have a few aches here and there, especially after being shipped a long distance and then stalled. And some might be fighting some arthritis in their older competition years, but they are well above serviceably sound. The flexion test could actually aggravate a minor ache from a long trailer ride or some usually well-managed arthritis.

So just as an example: My former trainer's dressage horse has well-managed ringbone in his pastern just below his fetlock on his left front leg. He was sound enough to compete Grand Prix without "inconsistencies" and jogged sound BUT had someone flexed him he would have been almost 3 legged lame. AND he would have been lame on it for a while (possibly hours from aggravation of the ringbone).

So I get where the vet is coming from as a VET he wants to make sure the horse is sound and do what is necessary to pinpoint any unsoundness. But he got carried away being a VET rather than an FEI VET (where he has strict FEI rules he has to follow). I think he also has a point that the FEI Vet should be able to look at legs upon initial inspection so that they could possibly prevent getting stuck in the vet box at jog up if possible (like saying, "this is what I notice now that might be a red flag at jog up").

Anyway, I also sympathize with the competitors because it IS so expensive to compete and he did something that was not allowed to be done under FEI rules. It really sucks, and I hope that there is some way to work it out so that something like this doesn't happen in the future.

6 members found this post helpful.

Did anyone else find it alarming that the vet stated he would flex them again in the same situation even though he clearly knows now that it is against the rules? That seemed like a bizarre statement - sounds egotistical, not sure it is but that's what came to mind.

20 members found this post helpful.