The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WE DID IT!! Our first mini event and the slowest XC ride in history! VIDEO! :D

I'm SUCH a proud mom! My 4 year old Clydesdale pony finished THIRD in her very first mini event at Pre-Novice this weekend! It was absolutely hysterical!!! I decided to take her to get some miles on her and let her see what it was all about. No plans for glory...just expose her to a show environment, cross country course and stadium fences. She got nervous in the dressage ring when the judge made a "clunk" as we came in and she was tense her whole test but she made it round. We ended up in 4th out of 8 in dressage. NOT BAD! Then onto XC. Willa has only schooled over little logs around our farm so this was a HUGE jump up for her and after walking the course it was WAY scarier than I had anticipated. I decided to just walk/trot her and if she felt fearful I would pull up. But my pony has the best brain and off she trotted calmly and confidently into the unknown. She was never fearful and only inquisitive as we approached each fence VERY slowly. She would pause to check it out, I'd tell her she was fine and then she'd bunny hop to the other side. I was shocked she was even going!! I laughed and cheered her on the whole way around!

Then off to stadium. The other Pre-Novice events I had seen had a very simple course with just standards, maybe a brush box and just plain poles. This course was anything but!! She has NEVER seen fences like this in her life! The show got ahead of schedule and I ended up mounting up as they were calling me on deck. Greeeeeaaaaat. Her first time and no warmup! So again, I decided to give it a go and if she was fearful I would pull up and retire to go home and practice more. Well...shock me again! She was BRILLIANT! We slowly trotted the whole course and she would hesitate about 10 feet out and I would say "You've got it peanut!" and she'd head right in and over she went! Now...fence #2 in stadium is HILARIOUS!!!!!!! Maybe the funniest jump I've ever ridden! It was the first oxer she'd ever seen. She was trotting confidently up, started to jump and then noticed all the stuff in the middle as her front feet were coming up. So she stops, puts them down and leans down to sniff it. Just as I'm about to pull her around to reapproach she goes "OK!" and launches over it!! Leaving me behind and landing us square on top of the fence! LOLOLOL The judge...and everyone else, myself included...were laughing hysterically! She just said "Whoops! Sorry mom!" and trotted happily away to the next fence! About half way through she got the hang of it and started locking on and going in without question! We miraculously ended in third! It wasn't fast or pretty but we got round, had a blast and she had a great first experience! Slow and steady wins the race! SOOOOO proud of my little peanut!! She has such a calm and steady mind and was really enjoying herself. I laughed and talked to her the whole way round our courses and we just had SO much fun! I can't wait to practice all winter and next year maybe move up to actually cantering! LOL If you want to be overwhelmed with cuteness watch the video of Willa navigating her first XC and stadium courses at snail pace! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebmJy8uR8Ec&feature=plcp
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

That is some serious cuteness! Who knew a Clyde cross could be so small? I love her name too... Bud Lite. Congratulations on having so much fun!!

You video is great! She is adorable and you guys looked wonderful!

What fun to watch her in action! I loved all the encouragement you gave her. Everyone was cheering her on, which made it even more fun. Now that she knows how to do a victory gallop, you can add foxhunting practice and come to the CotH hunts in Va. She will be awesome!
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Kegger, I'm so happy you guys had so much fun. Willa is just adorable. You had nothing to worry about!

That was the best! Now I want to take my greenie to her first over fences show Congrats!!

Your pony is seriously cute. I was one of the jump judges at fence 6 where you had to let the faster horse pass. You looked like you were having a ball!!! That's what it's all about. The ribbon is icing on the cake.

I want to hug her and braid daisies in her mane.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

That video is PRICELESS, you two are so damn cute!!

I have a similar video from our first time ever jumping a course at a show, and I'm so glad I do because it cracks me up all the time, and makes me realize how much fun it's been watching my horse turn into an amazing jumping machine. My friend who shot the video sounded a lot like the person filming you, which I love.

Congratulations on a fun and successful show!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Thanks guys! I thought some of you would enjoy her in all of her cuteness! We did have so much fun together! She really enjoyed herself which is so encouraging to me as it was her first time! By next year she'll be eating up the courses! First we have to learn to canter better though! LOL. I was unsure if people would be snubbing their noses at my slow-and-steady-pick-your-comfort-zone plan for her but everyone was wonderful! I care more about what's best for my pony rather than what people think but it was so nice everyone just joined me in laughing and cheering! I had several people come up after the show to say how nice it was to hear me constantly encouraging her and not pushing her. It was very nice to hear as I plan on keeping it up! Wait until I get my helmet cam this fall! Then you can really laugh as you ride my "lightning fast" cross country hearing me laughing, cheering and jabbering up a storm first-hand! LOL

Bbowen that is too funny!!! I couldn't stop laughing and cheering her on the while time! You guys really helped me feel relaxed and I'm glad you could see how much fun we were having! I'm always smiling when I'm in my pony. She just cracks me up! I'm so glad I let her pick her pace and didn't push her. She was happy at a trot so that is where we stayed! I really just wanted her to get an idea of what to expect in the future...when we are actually prepared and ready to be competitive. Who knew she'd finish this one?! I certainly didn't expect it! :-D

Jenm you should post your first video and then a current one to give those of us on wobbly toddlers hope that one day we can jump normal too!! LOL

Gr8fulrider, Willa would be in heaven! She loves nothing more then hugs, kisses, human attention and being "girlied" over! Perhaps I should add daisies in her mane for our next XC run:-) LOL

Bridgette we hope to see you again soon!!

Koniucha just do it! Keep it fun and simple and go get some miles! Willa has only been under saddle for 5 months! I backed her in November and did a few trail rides right away. In January I got on a few more times. Then her training began in April. She had June off because they thought she had a heart murmur and would need to be retired (all the more reason this was such a sweet experience as just a short while ago I thought our dreams were over!) and then I started riding her regularly in July! She's only jumped a dozen or less times and half of those times just X-poles! NEVER saw an oxer or a decorated fence like this! And she did FANTASTIC! Just sign up and go! Just for fun! And make sure to video it and post it so we can see it too! :-D
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Quote Originally Posted by Keg-A-Bacchus View Post
    Jenm you should post your first video and then a current one to give those of us on wobbly toddlers hope that one day we can jump normal too!! LOL
    Haha...Keg, for your enjoyment and my embarrassment, I present my first time jumping at a show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEjnzknMgXk

Yes, I have no shame. It's all out there for anyone to watch and laugh at. But as I said, I will cherish this forever!

Here she is running cross country this August at Woodside:

(Only her third time out, finishing 2nd out of 19 in Novice)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qq8vAqpwA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIQ4A...hannel&list=UL

My disclaimer is a good friend of mine rode her, but I'm no dummy, I knew when it was time to have someone with more experience help us along.

But no matter what, I will always appreciate that first video, and now you know you are not alone!

The only reason why I don't have video of us jumping now, is because I need to find someone to video.

My advice is document as much as you can, because looking back is SO much fun!!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Keg, that was priceless!

jenm, what fun to watch your mare's progress.

Well done both of you, and you must know that we now expect updates!

Kegger, now you have to bring her to Barrington on Oct 21 for the little informal event derby. Should be lots of fun, great tailgating and maybe even a great used tack sale too!

NICE Job. Im a big fan of "baby steps". Now i wish there was something in Ct area i could go to like that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PletchersMom View Post
    NICE Job. Im a big fan of "baby steps". Now i wish there was something in Ct area i could go to like that!!!
    Just thought I'd suggest Frazier Farm in Woodbury, CT and Mystic Valley Hunt Club's fall schooling event in Mystic, CT. Frazier runs three little horse trials a year Elementary-Novice. The Elementary is very low key, all of the jumps are tiny, and its a great first outing. MVHC runs their schooling event every fall (this year on October 28th) also Elementary-Novice. They also have a Tadpole level combined test with just walk/trot dressage and crossrail stadium. There are places out there you just have to find them
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Jenm that is awesome!!!!! You give me such hope!!! Thank you for posting that! Your mare is a machine now! Maybe maybe someday Willa will be a machine too! I loved how kind and encouraging you were with her the first time! Just awesome!