The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    It was only a matter of time, and the recent full moon!
    Pass the popcorn !

ain't that the truth!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
    I'm a carnivore. I eat meat at least twice a day and use animal products in every meal. However, I do not purchase any meat that passes through a slaughter house, nor do I buy any animal product unless it is organically raised, fed, and processed. The farm I purchase my beef and chicken from (I don't eat pork because I feel just a little strange cooking pig parts while my pot belly is sitting at my feet waiting for scraps ) can tell me which cow/chicken the cut of meat came from and what time they slaughtered it. On site. Same goes for their milk, butter, and cheeses. No shipping, no feed lots, no mass slaughter. One day they wake up in their nice green pastures and the next day they're on a dinner plate. Do I pay a mint for that meat? Sure do. But for me, it's worth it. Not only am I doing the absolute best by my body and the environment as I can without raising my own, but I also feel that I am consuming animal products in the most ethical way I possibly can.

I feel the same way about horse meat as I do about all other meats out there. Provided the horse was raised organically and slaughtered humanely and without significant travel (I totally understand needing to go a few miles down the street to the abattoir!) or any time spent on a feed lot, I would absolutely consider trying the meat.

Would I eat my own horses? Nope, couldn't do it. Not in a million years. But I would never judge those who made the decision to do so, whatever the reason may be.
    Just wanted to encourage supporting local farmers using sustainable methods and raising animals on PASTURE and slaughtering / processing HUMANELY. Visit your local farmers market and get to know your local farmers. Most farmers who sell directly to the public are delighted to discuss what they do, how they do it, and why they do it that way. Organic certification and organic feeds are very expensive; and one irony is the "organic" food imported from CHINA -- RUN from that.

I got turkeys to raise for meat, and the original plan was to take them somewhere to be slaughtered; and then I "bonded" w/ those darn turkeys, and I realized that for us the most humane thing to do was to slaughter them ourselves and not put them through the stress of transport and being handled and killed by strangers in a strange place. Some areas have mobile processing facilities that come to the farm, which can be a more humane option than transporting to a slaughterhouse.

So, my city girl moves to the country farming experiment has not turned me into a vegetarian, but it has forced me to think about my food, its quality of life, and how to provide as humane a death as possible. I eat meat at restaurants, so I consume confinement raised meat. However, we do try to patronize restaurants that support local farmers and serve pasture raised meat -- and we try to make informed decisions as consumers.

For me, based on my experiences, I just don't see the current horse slaughter situation as humane; and I would not be up for slaughtering or eating my own horses. So, eating horse meat isn't appalling to me, but the process of getting that horse meat from horse to plate isn't passing the humane test for me.

As for the Japanese and dolphins - watch Dolphin Cove.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Sounds like a reasonably good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    Just wanted to encourage supporting local farmers using sustainable methods and raising animals on PASTURE and slaughtering / processing HUMANELY. Visit your local farmers market and get to know your local farmers. Most farmers who sell directly to the public are delighted to discuss what they do, how they do it, and why they do it that way. Organic certification and organic feeds are very expensive; and one irony is the "organic" food imported from CHINA -- RUN from that.

I got turkeys to raise for meat, and the original plan was to take them somewhere to be slaughtered; and then I "bonded" w/ those darn turkeys, and I realized that for us the most humane thing to do was to slaughter them ourselves and not put them through the stress of transport and being handled and killed by strangers in a strange place. Some areas have mobile processing facilities that come to the farm, which can be a more humane option than transporting to a slaughterhouse.

So, my city girl moves to the country farming experiment has not turned me into a vegetarian, but it has forced me to think about my food, its quality of life, and how to provide as humane a death as possible. I eat meat at restaurants, so I consume confinement raised meat. However, we do try to patronize restaurants that support local farmers and serve pasture raised meat -- and we try to make informed decisions as consumers.

For me, based on my experiences, I just don't see the current horse slaughter situation as humane; and I would not be up for slaughtering or eating my own horses. So, eating horse meat isn't appalling to me, but the process of getting that horse meat from horse to plate isn't passing the humane test for me.

As for the Japanese and dolphins - watch Dolphin Cove.
    I absolutely cannot watch that.

I too have had horse meat (in Europe). Didn't bother me in the slightest although I wasn't overly keen on the taste! I've also had aligator.......which I did enjoy and many other "wild" meats (elk, deer, wild boar). Hunting for eating doesn't bother me (although I won't do it) and as long as slaughter houses are run properly and it's quick, who am I to tell everyone that "it's cruel to eat horses but not cattle"???
    Last edited by eclipse; Oct. 2, 2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: spelling...........I'm crap at it!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Looks like they changed their mind...

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...new-york-menu/
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Not exactly. Bute is a pretty common drug used in horses and it's practically never used in "food" animals since it renders the animal inedible forever once given. So once a horse has had bute, legally and by our own USDA standards, they cannot EVER be used for food.
    Aside from the other issues, the issue of phenylbutazone in the meat is HUGE. The reason that it is not allowed in food-producing animals is that it causes irreversible bone marrow suppression in people and aplastic anemia - problems which are often FATAL.

Cows etc. sent to slaughter are done with extensive records of what they have had and when, and there are specific withdrawal times for each drug (ie you cannot slaughter and use for food within a certain time frame depending on the drug). These times/info can be found here:
    http://www.farad.org/

Since there is NO mechanism in place to determine what drugs a horse has had in its lifetime, there is no way to ensure that the meat is safe. LOTS of horses have had bute in their lifetime.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20176071
    Last edited by animaldoc; Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Forgot to attach link for PubMed article...

Mandy, you beat me to posting it.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein