The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pics of step in for Meadobrook Cart

I have an older friend with bad knees that would like to add a metal step to her meadowbrook cart. Does anyone have a good picture of a step on a meadowbrook?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=carriage+step

There are a lot of carriage steps on ebay, buy it now for less than $30... I don't know if they would work for her, or where she wants to mount it, but maybe...

Thanks! That I never thought to look on ebay. That is exactly what I needed!

Meadowbrooks! I dream of meadowbrooks!

I don't have a picture at the moment, but what we did is create a step off the entire rear of the carriage.

Barb had two hangers made that attaches to either side of the carriage body frame (we plan on adding another to the center to stabilize it more).

Then we removed the last two slats on the floor, added the hangers and put the slats on the hangers. In effect the last two slats have been lowered about 6 inches across the entire back of the carriage rather than just haveing a little step.

I'll try for pictures this weekend

Default Step

We also added a full step across the back of the cart. I'm not as good as describing it as the previous poster but it does give you a lot more access to the cart as well as providing a rumble seat for the young Amish lads that tagged along when I was first learning to drive our mare with their father. That being said the cart is extra big to fit a 17 hand percheron mare so the back step might not work as a rumble seat on a pony sized cart.

Default Pictures of Meadowbrook full step

Ok... here are the pictures of the step across the back of the Meadowbrook. We still haven't 'gotten around' to either cutting off the center floor strap remaining when we lowered the last two boards OR adding the third brace we intend to add to stiffen the center of the step. But it works for us very well without lengthening the step. I've seen vehicles that come this way with step hanging off back of the normal Meadowbrook, but we didn't want the added length. We couldn't find the piece already made, but Witmers made it for us. If you want to do this let me know and I'll send along measurements.

http://community.webshots.com/album/583469226YgnDyZ

Very nice looking modification, Drive NJ.

I do like the double arms at the top for bolting to the carriage basket. Should prevent any forward bending if you step on, which could happen with only a single point to bolt on with. Curve is pretty as well as out of your way.

NJ2 here
    I will make a small correction in the info
    our cart was made by Carriage Machine Shop
    and they also did the step bracket

I dont think that "they" do these routinely
    the first incarnation was too tall a drop so we had it cut and re-welded by our farm owners machinist

from CMS the step brackets were not cheap

I KNOW there are other carriage manufacturers who do the steps - you see them all the time on draft carts
    and some versions of the standard meadowbrook type

but for us - it just makes getting onto the cart floor so much easier

I also highly recommend the stick on stair tred tape we have applied
    it is unobtrusive but helps keep your foot from sliding on the varnished floorboards

These are pretty typically done with draft-sized meadowbrooks, they do make it easier to mount. I do suggest you put slats in front of the step so there's no chance of your foot slipping through...nothing like a bit of paranoia.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

I bought a carriage step for my little buckboard. It was very reasonably priced and works great. I'll see if I can find the company.

Here it is! I got the one on the far right.

http://www.colonialcarriage.com/item.cfm?id=349

I love it. Easy to add to my wagon and very sturdy for an old lady to put her weight on. (I'm the old lady, not insinuating your friend is old!)