The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    SidesaddleRider, great pics.

And the facility looks beautiful! Where was that clinic in Virginia?
    Thanks! It was at Beverly Equestrian, off of Zulla Rd in The Plains. Www.beverlyequestrian.com.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

I am also riding in the Ontario clinic - as of today there are 2 weeks to go!!

I have really appreciated all of the information. A couple of quick questions:

How much no stirrup work should we expect?

Is there any jumping without stirrups usually incorporated?

I need to know how much to worry about this (and clearly, I should continue working without stirrups!)

Slighty OT, but is there a website that has GM's yearly schedule? A quick Google search turned up nothing for 2013. A clinic with him is on my Bucket List!
    Impossible is nothing.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23
    So why exactly does he hate happy mouth and rubber bits?
    Refer to LaurieP post..........it makes them dead in the mouth
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    Thanks! It was at Beverly Equestrian, off of Zulla Rd in The Plains. Www.beverlyequestrian.com.
    Thanks! That place looks very nice.

It's cracking me up a little to read about all the prep work people are doing to get ready for their GM clinic. He's improving their riding before he even sees them! If you can't attend a GM clinic in person, you can still benefit by pretending you're getting ready for one.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha0303 View Post

I need to know how much to worry about this (and clearly, I should continue working without stirrups!)
    YES!!!! If he does work you without stirrups... MAEKE SURE YOU KNOW TO TO CORRECTLY PLACE THEM ACCROSS THE POMEL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chillydc View Post
    Slighty OT, but is there a website that has GM's yearly schedule? A quick Google search turned up nothing for 2013. A clinic with him is on my Bucket List!
    http://ghmclinics.com/Welcome.html

This seems to be his official clinic site so I would assume a 2013 schedule will be posted there when it's finalized.

The site is www.ghmclinics.com but it only has the 2012 dates so far. He often goes back to the same places year after year, though. Hopefully now he will be able to add new locations in the future.

The 2012 were listed on USEF web site under George Morris Clinics. As of Wednesday they weren't up for 2013

Thanks to the folks who gave the website, I'll keep checking for future dates!
    Impossible is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha0303 View Post

it varies from clinic to clinic and group to group.When I traveled with him, one farm we were at, he did NO no stirrup work, one farm he had one group drop them for 15 or so minutes, other farms he had every group without them for awhile, some clinics they jumped without them,one farm the high group got stirrups taken completely off the saddle, and stayed without for about 1/2 their session- flat, jumping, etc.

It really just depends.
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Thank you again everyone! Tea is clipped, I bought a nice leather girth, and I am starting to collect (and polish!) everything else I'll need.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Red face I'm riding too, with a few questions of my own...

About the stirrups- I have "creaky" ankles and love my hinged ones as I also hunt and find the long days in the tack easier with them. Am I asking to have my ass handed to me if I don't go get a set of regular irons?
    Also for pads..I am in the hunter group the next day and usually ride with a half pad. Can I go without a fitted pad? I have one, but figure if I'm going to be on him for 2 hours I want him comfy. He is a TB, and thin skinned so I will be using a fuzzy girth.

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

Quote Originally Posted by littlecreek View Post
    About the stirrups- I have "creaky" ankles and love my hinged ones as I also hunt and find the long days in the tack easier with them. Am I asking to have my ass handed to me if I don't go get a set of regular irons?
    Also for pads..I am in the hunter group the next day and usually ride with a half pad. Can I go without a fitted pad? I have one, but figure if I'm going to be on him for 2 hours I want him comfy. He is a TB, and thin skinned so I will be using a fuzzy girth.
    Hinged stirrups are a big no-no with GM, he says "they don't do you any favors and you need all the favors you can get", and I tend to agree, having ridden in hinged for a few years and then changing back to regular for fear of his criticism. I actually find my joints hurt LESS without them, but that's a personal thing and he won't make you change them, he'll just complain about them A LOT, especially if your leg isn't great or he chooses to ride your horse. But he won't force you to change.

Half pads are fine, I usually show in one, but opted to clinic in a half pad with a baby pad, just so I didn't have to wash my half pad. Half pad alone feels the same as half pad with a baby pad to me.

I've never heard him comment about a girth, so I'm sure fuzzy will be ok.

Have fun! I always learn TONS from him and he's a hoot!

I would definitely use a pair of regular stirrup irons for a GM clinic. Why start off on the wrong foot, so to speak?

The reason he hates hinged stirrups is because they give, and in order to have a firm foundation with a platform to build on and get your heel down, he feels you need a regular stirrup. As someone said, he won't make you change them, but he will use you as an example for why he hates them.

GM dislikes anything gimmicky, because he feels that good, effective, correct riding, done consistently, will fix virtually any problem. And since that is what you are there to learn from him, just don't do it!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Guess I'm going out today to buy a set of stirrups then. Thanks for the info about the baby pad. I do want to look "right", but also need my guy to be at his happiest for it as well.

Re. the fuzzy girth, I've seen him comment in PH that fuzzy girths detract from the horse's overall turnout and he prefers a plain leather girth for aestetic reasons. I have no idea about whether he would bother commenting on it in a clinic, provided it is a clean fuzzy girth and not one caked with dirt and grime.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Thanks! That place looks very nice.

It's cracking me up a little to read about all the prep work people are doing to get ready for their GM clinic. He's improving their riding before he even sees them! If you can't attend a GM clinic in person, you can still benefit by pretending you're getting ready for one.
    I agree. Just the thought of attending a GM clinic will get me to the doctor's office for a hearing test and maybe even a hearing aid.

So, new question - how does GM feel about gimps in his clinics? I'm pretty sure I dislocated my elbow tonight, at least partially, straight-arming the ground during a silly little fall. It's back in, thank God, but considering that the clinic is next Friday, I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself... Tea has a great mouth, and isn't at all a puller, so I'm keeping the fingers on my good side tightly crossed for my elbow to settle down quickly, quickly!