The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Default Blue Grass Pony Club "Not Very Scary" Mini Trial

LOVED this event! Nori, Valerie and the rest did a great job! It was my first event in probably 4 years and had the baby pony (6yo) out for his first event. Loved the xc course... wanted to bring it home with me. They ran ground poles and 18" in a big paddock, which was perfect. Starter (2') and BN ran in the main field. Dressage was on grass, sj was lovely in the sand ring next to the barn. We camped and Nori put us right next to the barn. Scoring ran a bit (ok, a lot) slow, but we can live with that. We took 5 riders to the event... I was the only rider that had evented before and one of the younger girls had the only horse that had done any... so lots of first time experience. LOVED it. EVeryone did great! I was the only one that didn't place (they counted me for a stop at fence one... I would have argued it more but due to scoring I didn't find out until after the ribbons had been given out and all the judges had already left). Oh well. Would have been nice, but I can't complain how the pony did. 41.5 in dressage... not great, but fairly consistent and good except for a couple baby moments in a slightly uneven grass arena. Clean everywhere else (except for fence 1 and I wouldn't have counted it as a stop). No water and no ditches on xc, but we did have a couple combinations... including 4ABC which was the steps (made of single telephone poles on an 18' distance -- rode beautifully!!) Only BN was timed and the policy was 3 stops will get you an E, but simply bypass the fence and continue.

Just had to share that I think it was a great event run by some wonderful people.

And here's my favorite pic that one of the mom's posted -- this was our dressage warmup:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...27422841_n.jpg
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I was there grooming for my friend riding in the "puddle jumpers" and I agree, it was a very fun, low key and well run event! We got there at 11, and were done by 4. I had to scratch my mare due to lameness, but I definitely plan on signing up for the next one they hold!

Good to see you back in the tack, tle!
    Click here before you buy.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

chestnut... I was in the puddle jumper horse division.

Lynn... thanks. Hoping to hit LAZ's mini trial next (if I can work out the timing/trailers/other jobs and whatnot going on that weekend).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike