The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse fell down again....

I do have a plan but need a bit of hand holding right now....

I have a 18 hand 17 year old WB that is just the best horse in the world. He is sooo sweet I feel so bad. I have talked about him here so some may know his story.

Those that don't - I got him five years ago as a burned out Dressage horse... who came to this Hunter/Eq rider and loved to jump. We had some fun times and he taught me so much. My trainer keeps saying he is such a smart horse and wishes we would have got him when he was younger. As time went on I found out later that he had navicular and had been nerved. I also found out he has arthritis in three places in his neck, in his back, sciatic problems and the latest ring bone.... so I retired him to a 30+ acre pasture where two months out there he lost a lot of weight. The farrier trimmed him two weeks ago before I brought him back home and pulled his hind leg where he had a tough time walking in the hind. He's home and doing much better but today -

he fell down and I just was in tears. He got up quickly and seemed just fine. This is the second time he has fallen down. He is happy and eating and loves my attention - but uggg.. sooo sad.

My plan - I emailed the vet with what happened. I called and left a message for the Chiro. He has really helped this horse in the past so I am hoping that will help whatever happened with the farrier the adjustment will help. I gave him two grams of bute and asked the vet if I should continue the bute. Then see if I can get him comfortable again at least enough just to hang out at home.

His attitude is happy and doesn't seem like it's "that time" but this road is sure a rocky one. Thanks for listening.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I'm sorry!! That's so hard. Other's with more experience will chime in, but there are diseases that can cause neurological defects that can be made better through diet.

The only thing I can offer you and your boy are JINGLES!! Hang in there!

Thank you do much!!! It really means so much right now.

Oh, I've been there. Tiki had arthritis in his hind end, especially his RH, plus stifle issues...

Anyway, I'm sending you and your boy lots and lots of jingles! Give him a hug and kiss from me. He sounds so much like Tiki-- all heart and love.
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

I faced neck arthritis with an OTTB g that I got back at 25. He fell down with me while I was riding is when we figured out the neck and then took xrays. I kept him going until pain got to be too much for him, he started not eating well and would walk his circles (he did that when stressed over the years) endlessly in the pasture rather than eat/graze. So I check off the list, are they still happy and eating, can they lay down to sleep (my guy could not and would almost fall in his stall b/c he was so tired) can they be horses and can they injure themselves with their disabilities. Those are the questions I tend to ask myself, weigh the answers and how I feel about them. My guy also had stomach ulcers so could not take bute, tried previcox for him, nada. Tried actual steroids and he started having a pulse and went lame on one foreleg. I could not find anything to help him and that was the end for me.

So sorry for you and your guy, it is never easy to make that decision. I live with the idea of better a day too soon than a minute too late esp with horses who can injure themselves from their issues.

Any chance he has EPM now on top of everything else? Jingles for you both.

My mare started falling down and it was EPM
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

Has his neck ever been injected? I have an older (22) TB who was a dressage horse. While out on lease last year, started tripping, couldn't hold his canter leads, dropped some weight and lost topline, wobbly in back. Had an extensive work up done on him including EPM testing and cervical xrays. After concluding that EPM was not the issue, we injected him 3 joints, both sides of neck. Two months later, back to light riding, now at probably 4x per week working in the ring, muscle tone has returned, bright eyed. It has been 11 months since injections, all is still well, and he looks great.
    OP - this was not a cheap process but I was not ready to let this horse go. But he also only had the one area that was causing him problems. Also, if that neck arthritis is causing the neuro symptoms, I'm not sure the bute will help much.
    Keep us posted.......
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    Has his neck ever been injected? I have an older (22) TB who was a dressage horse. While out on lease last year, started tripping, couldn't hold his canter leads, dropped some weight and lost topline, wobbly in back. Had an extensive work up done on him including EPM testing and cervical xrays. After concluding that EPM was not the issue, we injected him 3 joints, both sides of neck. Two months later, back to light riding, now at probably 4x per week working in the ring, muscle tone has returned, bright eyed. It has been 11 months since injections, all is still well, and he looks great.
    OP - this was not a cheap process but I was not ready to let this horse go. But he also only had the one area that was causing him problems. Also, if that neck arthritis is causing the neuro symptoms, I'm not sure the bute will help much.
    Keep us posted.......
    Sadly yes I have had his neck injected about 6 months ago. Three places as you describe yours. I didn't notice any improvement. He has been diagnosed with Sciatic problems and arthritis in his back and neck. I have not had his stiffles checked or hocks because when the vet examined him he did not show any signs of lameness in those areas.

I am still waiting the chiro return call and vet never responded to my emails.

He is managing okay on the bute.

One of my other horses had EPM and it could be a possibility. I guess I could feed him what I feed my EPM horse to see if he improves but the onset of this bad lameness was the farrier holding his hind leg and the bute is helping.

Again, thank you all for your thoughts, ideas and understanding in these tough situations.

I am sooooo sad... I love this horse so much he is the most amazing guy ever and I am at least glad I got a few years of his life to tell him so because he was treated like a machine before and I don't think anyone really ever told him what an amazing guy he is. And I know they can feel so much more than most give them credit for.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Try calling the vet's office with a brief synopsis and say that you'll follow up with with an email with the details. That way they're looking for the email. Then if you get no response, try calling again.
    The Evil Chem Prof

So sorry both you and your horse are going thru this.The chiropractor should be able to help.You can also try a magnetic blanket and or the Back on Track Blanket which is a bit more affordable. I think both will help him a lot.
    You can put him on msm for the arthritis and pain. There are many alternative options such as herbs,magnetic therapy,laser and thermal therapy that can help him heal and stay comfortable and happy.

Best of Luck.
    You can pm me if you would like more info on any of the suggestions I made.
    www.equinealternativehealthsupply.com
    Natural Horse Health Care, including Holistic Equine Health Products, Supplements & Alternative Therapies.

That's scary. Good luck and jingles!
    --o0o--

Thank you so much for your help on this... it is scary.

The Vet called and so did Chiro... YAY....

Vet says no more than four days in a row of Bute and if I want to continue with pain meds to use Prevacox. I have never used that before.

I have the Chiro coming next week and I sure hope that helps.

That is a good idea of the MSM and Yucca. I used that on one of my older horses and it seemed to really help.

The last few days he hasn't had any bute and is managing around pretty well. (no falling). But his sheath looks like a balloon. His hind legs are usually swollen but today he was moving more so they actually looked very good.

Here he is with my other retiree this evening eating hay. They were so cute - they couldn't get their faces any closer could they...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Do you think he could have Lyme or Ehrlichia? Ehrlichia can cause swelling and fever. Fever cancauselack of coordination. The bute would have brought his temp down.