The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Building Jumps

Thinking of building a nice jump for my trainer for helping me through show season this year since we are moving to a new barn next week. Wondering if anyone has ever made a nice jump out of something besides wood (maybe pvc) and how you did it.

I was thinking of maybe making two standards out of a thicker PVC and then use connecting pieces to make a cup that could slide up and down with a pin and holes drilled in the pipes.

Anyone have any ideas?

I love my PVC jumps but for DIY wood is much easier to work with.

I'd not try making your own cups. I'd buy them. You can either buy keyhole track like this http://www.jumpsusa.com/FEIK--Keyhol...ack_p_186.html and cups to match, or as long as your PVC is about 3.5" wide you could drill holes and buy pin cups.

Go to the section of your local hardware store that sells PVC intended as fences and deck railings. You'll get a lot more interesting and wood-like shapes there than in the downspout section.

The commercial PVC wings are welded together or slotted into CNC machined openings, but for a one off build you'll be better off buying brackets in the deck railing section that screw and clip even though they will be quite expensive.