The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceWife View Post
    What is the deal with hairnets?! I mean really do you guys not know how to do beat and tidy hair without one? Maybe it's the military in me but really.

I finally caved and started throwing on a hairnut for schooling. I have layers, so I have a lot of short hair that doesn't tightly fit into a low ponytail. The hairnet keeps the short hairs from sliding down and popping out of the sides of my helmet and it also make its easier to keep my bangs under the helmet. The only way I could get the same result without a net is if I gelled my hair back... which would 1. be gross after sweating (and I am quite the head sweater) and 2. mess up the inside of my helmet.

My helmet is sized to fit perfectly with my ponytail underneath it, so a French braid or anything along those lines won't work.

I ride with my collar open. I like the look especially with a jacket.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Quote Originally Posted by JSjumper View Post
    NOT unbuttoned half-way down the rider's chest like I've seen a lot lately...
    LOL. You should see some of the higher level male riders in Venezuela. They only seem to do it when they're actually competing in Venezuela, but still. It's pretty funny. Exposing your chest hair is apparently "the thing" in my other country. Same goes for long, loose ponytails on the ladies.

I don't like the look either way (but if I had long, lustrous hair down to my butt instead of the chin length mop that I have, I'd probably change my mind )
    www.readyforthebigeq.com
    dream it. achieve it. eff the odds.

Brand-spanking new JustWorld International Ambassador!

Quote Originally Posted by Credosporthorses View Post
    I ride with my collar open. I like the look especially with a jacket.
    I guess we're just the "crazy NW-erners" around here, CSH

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceWife View Post
    What is the deal with hairnets?! I mean really do you guys not know how to do beat and tidy hair without one? Maybe it's the military in me but really.
    My hair has a ton of layers in it. I can't contain it all without a hairnet. I would have flyaways sticking out everywhere. It also a fairly unnruly head of hair. It has a life of its own and can only be tamed into neatness with several rubber bands and a hairnet.

Quote Originally Posted by M. O'Connor View Post
    It's a sloppy, no-class, disrespectful way to come into the ring.

THIS!!!!

Proper attire with a jacket means buttoned shirt, all the way up. If you want to ride without it buttoned, DONT WEAR A JACKET!!!!

The jumper ring has permitted more casual attire by allowed the option to ride without the jacket. If you choose the jacket, weat the proper attire with your collar buttoned!

I don't care if you put on the choker or not, but button up!

Quote Originally Posted by AllEars View Post
    I don't like the look either way (but if I had long, lustrous hair down to my butt instead of the chin length mop that I have, I'd probably change my mind )
    So if I grow my hair out again (I used to have it and keep it hip length or so) I should enter a jumper show and go with it just in a pony tail to drive people INSANE?

(Right now I'd be in the hairnet crowd, though, even though I do not do hunter hair. My hair is just slightly too short for a ponytail but long enough and thick enough and wavy so if I just stick a helmet on top of it without any fussing I end up with ends poking out every which way and generally at least one clump of hair ends up positioned in such a way that I see it out of the corner of my eye, or it tickles me somewhere and drives me NUTS. For casual riding I fiddle with it for a bit and generally get it acceptably out of the way, but for showing or a clinic or something I'd definitely just stuff it under a hairnet to keep it tidier.)

PNWJumper, I can't tell if your collar is buttoned or not, and maybe it is just because I am so distracted by what a lovely rider you are and what a beautiful horse you have.

Ride on.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by kdow View Post
    So if I grow my hair out again (I used to have it and keep it hip length or so) I should enter a jumper show and go with it just in a pony tail to drive people INSANE?
    Yes. Do it. It will drive me crazy because in reality, I'm just jealous of people with super long hair. But that's another story. In all sincerity, I spent too many years in pony club to be anything but a hair net fan for life.
    www.readyforthebigeq.com
    dream it. achieve it. eff the odds.

Brand-spanking new JustWorld International Ambassador!

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    PNWJumper, I can't tell if your collar is buttoned or not, and maybe it is just because I am so distracted by what a lovely rider you are and what a beautiful horse you have.
    I was more distracted by how high the horse was over the jump. Did somebody Photoshop out a couple of rails?

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I was more distracted by how high the horse was over the jump. Did somebody Photoshop out a couple of rails?
    Thank you both for the kind words about my baby. That was his first real show and he was a little impressed by the jumps (as you can see by the air below his feet). I have a few other pictures where he's another foot higher than that. I think I got the best pictures of the entire year from that first week of shows He finished the year at 1.15m, but I don't think any of the pics compared to those first 1m classes!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    I always ride in an unbuttoned collar in my regular jumper rounds if I wear a hunt coat. I think it looks a lot better (on me) than a buttoned up collar much of the time, though it depends partly on which hunt coat I'm wearing.

With that being said, I leave the collar buttons (only) unbuttoned so that the collar still stands up. I prefer this profile to one of a buttoned collar. I find it distracting when someone leaves the shirt unbuttoned halfway down their chest and the shirt ends up flapping around.

To each their own, though, and I really don't care much about fashion choices other people make (or whether other people are worried about my collar). So many other things to think about when you cross that timer line....
    I think that looks good, actually. I haven't seen it much around here (though I haven't been a rated jumper show in a while), but I think it would be a nice alternative to be dress without being as informal as a polo shirt.

Alternatively, how would one know when having an open collar would disqualify oneself? There's the obvious GP/big stake class, and apparently any Sunday (didn't know that - is it a US thing?). Other than that, are there rules specific to collars in the jumper ring?

Hunter ring, no no. Sloppy and weird. If you won't button it up, just wear a regular Oxford shirt, why even pretend with a ratcatcher shirt??

It makes me giggle when I see it in the jumper ring because I think the rider couldn't get ready because they're going full throttle- just too faaaast! No time for buttons! No time!!
    OK maybe that one's just me. Heh.
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

I ride open collared but without the jacket for a casual look. I also like to roll up the sleeves a touch, especially with the contrasting cuffs.

I haven't ever worn a jacket with an open collar however I also don't find it offensive in low level or non-money classes. To me it looks like they just got done with the hunters and wanted to loosen up a bit for the jumpers.

Am I the only one that personally doesn't care unless it's a classic or prix or night class? It's jumpers, I'd rather see an amazing and competent rider first and a well dressed one second rather than vice versa. If they needed to keep their collars done up, they'd do hunters or eq. It looks more to me like, "I'm running from the hunter/eq ring and sorry, I only have time to choose between a good round or a buttoned collar." As long as the rider looks safe and capable, I couldn't care less if they're wearing a hot pink show jacket, dark show shirt, pull up ariats,and puke green ts or a custom Alessandro Albanese, pristine white snap collar, perfectly fitted Parlantis, and brand new Pikeurs. And compared to a polo shirt or EIS shirt, I'd consider collar undone more respectful, EIS and polo shirts just look like you forgot to change out of schooling clothes that morning.

That said, in a night class, prix, or classic, wear your collar buttoned and whites.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Am I the only one that personally doesn't care unless it's a classic or prix or night class? It's jumpers, I'd rather see an amazing and competent rider first and a well dressed one second rather than vice versa. If they needed to keep their collars done up, they'd do hunters or eq. It looks more to me like, "I'm running from the hunter/eq ring and sorry, I only have time to choose between a good round or a buttoned collar."
    I know I'm being trite, but did the rider ride with their collar buttoned in the equitation, unbutton it on the way to the jumper ring, and only then run out of buttoning time? Why, pray tell, does the collar have to be undone for that running from ring to ring time? Does it make one more aerodynamic?

Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    I know I'm being trite, but did the rider ride with their collar buttoned in the equitation, unbutton it on the way to the jumper ring, and only then run out of buttoning time? Why, pray tell, does the collar have to be undone for that running from ring to ring time? Does it make one more aerodynamic?
    Definitely. When the collar flaps, it's like wings. It makes you capable of flight, therefore you can fly from ring to ring.

But really, idk about you, but I must have a fat neck or something, collars choke the CRAP out of me. I always always always undo the collar for schooling/warm up because if I don't, I literally have trouble breathing.

I fold out my wrap collars and wear them with a coat. I like the look in the jumpers (for non-classics, etc.), especially when the print contrasts nicely with the coat. I don't think it looks sloppy at all!

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    Alternatively, how would one know when having an open collar would disqualify oneself? There's the obvious GP/big stake class, and apparently any Sunday (didn't know that - is it a US thing?). Other than that, are there rules specific to collars in the jumper ring?
    If the class calls for formal wear or mandates a hunt coat, then it's appropriate (or required?) to close your collar. At least that's how I've always done it. At the smaller shows it's typically just the classics and prixes. At the bigger shows it's often hunt-coats-required for the weekend for all classes, though you still only see buttoned up collars (or *don't see* unbuttoned collars) in the classics and special classes. I think the "Sunday" rule is related to the fact that most shows run all of the classics on Sundays.

Having said that, I thought the rules (Canada and US) just required "a collared" shirt, and a white collar in formal classes. I didn't think it said anything about closing the collar, but maybe I missed something along the way? Wouldn't be the first time!

This doesn't even apply to hunters, if I saw someone with their collar unbuttoned in the hunter ring, as a judge, I would probably DQ them or at least severely penalize them. In the jumpers it's different...if you're going to wear your collar unbuttoned, don't wear a coat. At least, that's what my trainers have drilled in me since this trend became "popular". Granted, I've never ridden without my collar unbuttoned. If I feel like wearing my coat, I'll do my collar and everything - but most times if I'm doing jumpers I'll stick to just a polo shirt.
    owned and loved by a crazy TB mare