The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Open collars in jumpers.

Do you like the look of open collars with a hunt coat in the jumper rings? it just looks wrong to me.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

No. It looks sloppy and lazy.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

If your collar isn't done up, you'd better have a tie on, or you just look like a goofball who forgot how to dress.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Didn't Daphne Alcock get DQ'd at Upperville in the GP for not having her collar buttoned?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Didn't Daphne Alcock get DQ'd at Upperville in the GP for not having her collar buttoned?
    Yep.

BTW, I hate the look. Drives me crazy. I also hate hair not contained in a net (which is a bigger issue at events than horse shows). It doesn't have to be hunter hair (I don't do hunter hair), but it should be well contained and neat.

I may be the lone voice of dissent, but I don't mind the look so much for regular jumper classes at the typical A show, mostly because I personally am really weird about anything tight-ish around my throat. However, if you're doing a classic or a GP, yes I agree, button up. And yes, hair ALWAYS up.

ETA- when I say I don't mind open collars insome situations, I mean the throat unbuttoned... NOT unbuttoned half-way down the rider's chest like I've seen a lot lately...
    Last edited by JSjumper; Sep. 24, 2012 at 04:26 PM.

I always ride in an unbuttoned collar in my regular jumper rounds if I wear a hunt coat. I think it looks a lot better (on me) than a buttoned up collar much of the time, though it depends partly on which hunt coat I'm wearing.

With that being said, I leave the collar buttons (only) unbuttoned so that the collar still stands up. I prefer this profile to one of a buttoned collar. I find it distracting when someone leaves the shirt unbuttoned halfway down their chest and the shirt ends up flapping around.

To each their own, though, and I really don't care much about fashion choices other people make (or whether other people are worried about my collar). So many other things to think about when you cross that timer line....

It's an awful trend, makes you look incredibly sloppy and lazy. Kids do it here and it's embarrassing.

It's sloppy. I remind people (in a very pushy way) to do up their collars all the time before going in the ring. It's one thing if you have one of the new collars that can be folded down to look more appropriate (like a standard dress shirt), but on a ratcatcher, no no, collars must be done up if you're wearing a coat or if formal attire is required. If it's a regular class and you're not wearing a coat, then I suppose it's marginally acceptable, though it's still less than ideal in my mind.

They actually made it a rule at WEF this winter and eliminated a lot of people in the early weeks for their collars being undone on Sundays when attire was formal (unless of course it came undone while on course).

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Yep.

BTW, I hate the look. Drives me crazy. I also hate hair not contained in a net (which is a bigger issue at events than horse shows). It doesn't have to be hunter hair (I don't do hunter hair), but it should be well contained and neat.
    I was remarking about this to one of our riders while at a show this weekend. I was noticing quite a few of the jumpers with one braid out the back of their helmet. Other rider said that it is because many of them have extensions which are not supposed to be folded up into a helmet.
    Life is hard. Buy a freaking helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Whatever, go gallop.

Buttoned is definitely a neater look but not always the most comfortable. I'd love to see horse shows waive buttoned collars on the days when they waive jackets due to weather. Waiving them on those occasions would drive home the point that they're required without going to the extreme of DQ'ing riders.

I might buy it if the jackets were waived with heat.

But otherwise...just sloppy and tacky in my opinion.

IMO a hunt coat with the ratcatcher unbuttoned looks better than a polo shirt.
    Ride on!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Hate it, sloppy and lazy and tacky!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I HATE IT. It makes me twitch wanting to fix it. So, so sloppy.

I always thought I hated it, but I recently saw someone have their wrap collar shirt undone... It looked kind of nice!
    I personally wouldn't do it, but each to their own.
    I strongly dislike the braids. Please put your hair up in your helmet. It's so distracting as it bounces around the ring...

It's a sloppy, no-class, disrespectful way to come into the ring.

I've seen a few trainers do it and their students follow their lead. I think the wrap collars make it too easy and they want pattern under the collar to show. I don't like it and my daughter has never done it even though she was the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Yep.

What is the deal with hairnets?! I mean really do you guys not know how to do beat and tidy hair without one? Maybe it's the military in me but really.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I HATE IT. It makes me twitch wanting to fix it. So, so sloppy.
    Totally agree!!!