The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ralph Lauren Tells Women Why the Equestrian Look is In

It's chic now to go into the city with hay in you hair.

http://youtu.be/d4kgdsTyo0k
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Now if only I didn't spend all of my extra cash on the ponies... I might have some to spend on clothes for myself

My barn boots do make me walk differently. My mother used to complain about all the tromping around!

I do like the look though, especially the orange blazer with the scarf and shirt combo.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

And manure on your shoes?

Um, yeah......
    B'cuz I am just for-ever strolling to my barn with an armful of long-stemmed roses, to collapse gracefully on my leather couch......
    Geesh!

And why yes, those bright colors will so very well show off the green goobers my horses are so fond of gifting me with.
    LordHelpUs
    Last edited by 2DogsFarm; Sep. 24, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Whenever I see one of those print or TV ads for the "equestrian style" I always check out the tack that the horse is wearing. Much more interesting to me!

Hmm, I might have a new use for my show jacket and tall boots. At least they'll get their money's worth since I haven't been showing!

All the boots are horribly cut--- too short and thick.

When are they going to get it right?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I so want to do a derby in a plum show coat! NOT! LOL
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!

If I took a bouquet of flowers to the barn I would get ravaged by my Cob. He loves fresh greens.

Wear a helmet, lady! I went shopping yesterday (more like browsing... i hardly ever shop for myself) and i counted 17 showcoat knockoffs in different colors, not counting colors i had already seen that day!

I'm never that clean unless I'm showing. (And sometimes, not even then! ) Throw a handful of hay, bedding, horse food, mud, horse snot..... on them and I might believe it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Nice horse.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

thanks for sharing this! It's good to know I'm so fashionable.

Horse Country Chic (blogger) covered some of the pieces today - the leather purses are really nice. The boots do look clunky to us because we're used to a fitted boot. But I still think it's a great look. I loved it back in the late 80's was it when it was popular? I had a lovely burgundy show coat (from Nordstom!) and some navy knee-patch"breeches" that I wore with tall boots . I'm not as stylish these days....I'lll settle for the real equestrian look in the barn for now. I can't afford a 2nd set of equestrian inspired clothes!

I have always loved this look and I frequently work it into my wardrobe

Once, I had to go to my mother in law's house for supper straight from the barn- a bunch of the inlaws were over. I was hurriedly taking off my half chaps and paddock boots at the door, in a shower of shavings, mud, and manure, and my husband's uncle proclaims "Finally! A girl who wears those equestrian boots who actually rides!".

I was thoroughly embarrassed about the mess I was making (and the smell I was probably emitting), but they were thrilled to see real riding apparel.

We are style icons y'all- the real height of fashion!

Did that woman have a girth around her waist? Seriously, the "bridle belt" looked like a girth.

I actually liked quite a bit of it. I thought the pushed up sleeves looked ridiculous, but overall I like the style. I kind of think of it more as feminine British professor than I do equestrian, though.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

There was a little of the Pirate lLook in a few of those outfits...

Quote Originally Posted by YEG View Post
    Once, I had to go to my mother in law's house for supper straight from the barn- a bunch of the inlaws were over. I was hurriedly taking off my half chaps and paddock boots at the door, in a shower of shavings, mud, and manure, and my husband's uncle proclaims "Finally! A girl who wears those equestrian boots who actually rides!".

I was thoroughly embarrassed about the mess I was making (and the smell I was probably emitting), but they were thrilled to see real riding apparel.

We are style icons y'all- the real height of fashion!
    LOL, I usually run errands before or after a lesson and I am always getting compliments about how cool my boots are, or "love the pants". Sometimes if I know I'll be somewhere nicer after (like a lunch or a nice store), I'll throw on a show coat or hacking jacket. Only about 1 out of 10 people asks if I just came from riding, the rest think I'm just fashionable

SomedaySoon, that's fantastic! I'm definitely going to throw a show coat in my truck for just these occasions.

Instead of compliments, I always get the hilarious old guys who smirk "hey little lady, did ya lose your horse?". Har har