The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where is a good place to advertise Boarding Facilities?

Looking for advice as to good places to post stall openings at boarding facilities.. Facebook being the obvious, but I am not so savvy as to online sites that people look at when selecting places to keep there horses?
    Elizabeth Lubrano

Dont know where you are, but there is likely a local dressage member organization in your area, also likely a hunter jumper group and maybe a trail riding group. If they have websites and newsletters, you can buy an ad in those. It depends a bit on what type of facility you are running - ie is it focused on any specific discipline, do you have a resident trainer or trainers that come there regularly? Go to any area tack shops or feed stores, put up a flyer. Last, if there is a local place that has horse shows, see if they have a bulletin board where you can post a flyer.

IMO, most people are either word-of-mouth, or if they are online, they will be looking at a local organization site.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Thank You! This is a huge help. We are a private family run estate with 10 stalls indoor/out and no trainer present, so we allow all types and are located in Chester County, PA. I will definitely take your advice and advertise in the local org. stuff.. Appreciate your reply!
    Elizabeth Lubrano

Word of mouth is *by far* the best way to "advertise". So get the word out: tell not only vets/farriers etc but tell all your friends -- go through your email address book and send all your horsey friends an email letting them know you are open and to please pass on your info if they know anyone looking.

I also have a small private barn (I focus on retirees) and I did that, plus started a Facebook page. I don't really find new boarders via Facebook, but 1) it allows absentee owners to see photos of their horses and 2) it gives people who've heard of my place something to check out so they can see if it might be a good fit. (the link is in my signature line below).

The thing about Facebook vs a website is that it is free and incredibly easy. If you are a big 50 horse boarding barn I think you need a website with good photography etc, but for a small private barn I really think it is unnecessary.

Other ways I've gotten boarders: did a very homemade flyer and put it up in a post office 50 miles south of me (Westchester, for those who know the area) -- exactly one person called, but she ended up becoming a boarder. I also sent the flyer to an equine vet when I had to send her something with a note saying I did retirement boarding and giving a mutual horseperson as a reference, and asking her to pass on my details to any clients. I never got any of her clients, but she ended up sending a horse to me herself.

I have done no paid advertising, and have not advertised on craisglist. I'd consider craigslist, but when I had an opening and tried to do a listing it wouldn't let me so I gave up.

Hope some of this is helpful to you.