The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looks like we're moving to Raleigh

Any suggestions of where I might be able to work off an occasional lesson? I used to be a pro A groom, so I'm pretty handy around the barn. I'd want to start on a longe line, because I haven't ridden in quite a while.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Southern Pines is not too far a drive... about an hour, hour and a half, depending on where you are coming from in the Raleigh area. Apex Equestrian or MacNair's Country Acres would also be places to look.
    Alis volat propriis.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

While it is true that Southern Pines is the "horsey" area of the state, there are lots of great trainers, barns and lesson programs in the Raleigh area. I would suggest waiting until you actually move (or find a place) to see what side of town you end up on. Like any capital city, traffic can be a pain and you don't want drive clear across Wake County if you don't have to.
    Dreaming in Color

Well, actually, since BF travels for work and I have nothing lined up, a good barn may help me decide where we'll live (although I may not tell him that)

And I don't actually NEED to work off the cost of lessons, I just thought if I had a legit reason to spend a lot of time at the barn it would be a good way to meet people, as I know exactly 1 person in the area and also give me something to do while BF is out of town.

What kind of riding do you do? (Eventing, dressage, jumpers, hunters) What kind of barn are you interested in (large, small, adult only, etc)? Do you own your own horse? (some trainers don't have "school" horses)
    Dreaming in Color

I've done a bit of everything, but my heart is in h/j world. Most of them aren't really into the whole longe line lesson thing, IME, so I might need to look for a dressage/pony club instructor. I am currently horseless, and don't anticipate that changing any time soon. Barn wise--I hadn't really thought about, medium to large I suppose.

I moved away a year ago and while I wasn't big in the hunter jumper scene, I knew of most of the barn reputations in the area. I'll PM you some information. You can also do a search on this forum or in the Hunter Jumper forum for barn recommendations in the Raleigh area.

I'd highly recommend where I boarded as I miss it terribly, but it's just that... a boarding facility.
    Dreaming in Color