The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn Recommendations Needed in OKC Area

So, after five years of living in NC, it looks like DH and I will be moving back to OKC next summer. It's been quite awhile since I've been involved in the horsey scene there, and am in need of some recommendations for a barn.

We will likely be living in Edmond/NE OKC (you know, the area with hills and trees...that if I pretend hard enough COULD be like we're still in Carolina?? )

I know of Feather Creek in Norman (boarded there way back when), and would LOVE to be able to go back, but I'm afraid the commute might be a bit long.

Does The Woodlands offer board? Or is there another barn in the area with exceptional care and great spaces to ride out that isn't trainer-centric? I've heard of a place called Bridlewood in that area that isn't discipline specific. Of course less expensive would be better, but at this point I don't have a budget, so expensive would be okay, too. (Don't tell DH I said that )

Of course, this is all a moot point right now, really, because I don't even know if I'll be moving a horse or not. I can't help it though. (I've also already been looking at realtor.com to find us a house...and we're still a year out from the move) Leased mare (who I had listed on the giveaways) has decided that since I threatened her with deportation she would miraculously come out of her mystery lameness that was around all summer. I think her time with Dr. Green and the hock injections finally did what they needed to do, and horse's owner had generously stated previously that I can take her when I move. So we shall see...

TIA!

I know that the Woodlands has recently changed hands and the new owner has started to host cross country schools again. A few friends are planning on attending the one coming up on Oct. 5 or 6 so I might be able to get some more information for you that weekend. I know one person that boards at Bridlewood (or I think she still does) and she likes it. It seems like a nice facility the few times I have been up there for schooling shows. And I know that Feathercreek is doing some boarding but you would have to check all of that out plus it would be a good hour from the side of the city that you are talking about moving into.

Are you looking to lease or purchase property? My sister-in-law is a realitor in that area and could help you find somewhere to live. She might even be able to find something with a small barn on it if you woul like to keep your horse at your place. She has helped a few people I know find places.

Welcome to Oklahoma. You should join the Oklahoma Eventers once you get here. It's a nice group of people that are a lot of fun to hang out with at the shows. I have been on the board for the past 10 years but decided to take this year off to do some other stuff but ended up getting pregnant so it was all for the best anyways! Hope to see you when you get here at the shows.

Bobbi
    Bobbi
    ~ Jus Passed My Zipper aka Spanky, 11yo QH gelding.
    ~ Muskogee, 2yo Oldenburg Colt.

Bumping up this old thread I started and totally forgot about until I did a search for "barns in OKC" and came up with this. Oy. Having a blonde moment.

Anyone else know anything else?

I am for sure bringing my mare with me, and will be coming into town on June 14th to look for a barn. I've sent the folks at The Woodlands an email, but haven't heard back. I can't seem to find a phone number or website for them though...

At any rate, any other information anyone has would be uber-appreciated. I'm feeling slightly panicked wanting to get Summer into the best situation possible.

Thanks in advance!

Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains

I've been to Bridlewood a few years ago when they were hosting some GO schooling shows. Seemed like a nice facility. If memory serves they have a covered arena and two outdoor rings too. It would definitely be an easy commute from Edmond. Could be a good starting point while you look for a place more eventer-centric.

I ride primarily hunters, aren't originally from around here, and actually live in Perkins so that's the only place in the OKC area I have first hand knowledge of.. good luck!

The USEA affiliate in Oklahoma just changed their name back to OCTA (Oklahoma Combined Training Association) as they were getting too many hassles from another organization that ran show-biz events. Several members have private barns in the general Edmond/Arcadia area so a query on their FB page (search using the long form or you'll get a lot of other OK organizations) may give you what they want. Their website is okeventers.us
    As stated above, Woodlands changed hands (but still owned by a Harris family) unfortunately their website (www.jump4fun.us) was a victim of the change - not sure when it will be back on line. A contact e-mail from the OCTA site is LANCE@2roadsfoundation.com
    Welcome back to Area 35!
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

Quote Originally Posted by sweetiemcdee View Post
    I've been to Bridlewood a few years ago when they were hosting some GO schooling shows. Seemed like a nice facility. If memory serves they have a covered arena and two outdoor rings too. It would definitely be an easy commute from Edmond. Could be a good starting point while you look for a place more eventer-centric.

I ride primarily hunters, aren't originally from around here, and actually live in Perkins so that's the only place in the OKC area I have first hand knowledge of.. good luck!
    Thanks so much. I sent an email off to the folks at Bridlewood. Hopefully I'll hear something back soon. I have serious ants in my pants to get this squared away.

Quote Originally Posted by ksbadger View Post
    The USEA affiliate in Oklahoma just changed their name back to OCTA (Oklahoma Combined Training Association) as they were getting too many hassles from another organization that ran show-biz events. Several members have private barns in the general Edmond/Arcadia area so a query on their FB page (search using the long form or you'll get a lot of other OK organizations) may give you what they want. Their website is okeventers.us
    As stated above, Woodlands changed hands (but still owned by a Harris family) unfortunately their website (www.jump4fun.us) was a victim of the change - not sure when it will be back on line. A contact e-mail from the OCTA site is LANCE@2roadsfoundation.com
    Welcome back to Area 35!
    Now THAT is some useful information! I went ahead and posted on the FB page...hopefully I'll get some bites soon.

Thanks, guys!