The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Girths...

Just wondering what is your favorite type? Sheepskin, neoprene, etc... Anyone still use string girths? I have heard they are supposed to be the most comfortable for the horse. I have a red OTTB if that answers why I am asking this question...

Oh and if the string girth has no elastic, how do you measure? I use a 54" regular girth with elastic right now.

I like neoprene the best. I personally have these two and like both a lot, but they do seem to run one size big, I have a 48 for a horse that normally wears a 50 and a 50 for one that normally wears a 52.
    http://profchoice.com/i-7261631-smx-english-girth.html
    http://profchoice.com/i-7261632-vent...ish-girth.html
    Personally don't like leather because it's a hassle to clean and gives my sensitive one rubs.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    I like neoprene the best. I personally have these two and like both a lot, but they do seem to run one size big, I have a 48 for a horse that normally wears a 50 and a 50 for one that normally wears a 52.
    http://profchoice.com/i-7261631-smx-english-girth.html
    http://profchoice.com/i-7261632-vent...ish-girth.html
    Personally don't like leather because it's a hassle to clean and gives my sensitive one rubs.
    I agree that neoprene/Professional's Choice are the best and that they run a size big.

What exactly do you mean by red OTTB?
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!

The OTTB I'm riding prefers sheepskin lined or she'll go in this which is super soft and squishy and only $20!

Leather girth - elastic both ends - real sheepskin attached to the girth.

I don't like those sleeves; they slip off every time you are putting it on and drop into the poopy hoof pickings in the tie area.

I have a few of the girths that have velcro where the sheepskin can come off for cleaning.

This one

http://www.theridinghabit.com/product-p/257fd.htm

Love them.

And all my horses are sensitive and two of my horses have had previous owner girth issues - (swellings at girth area that don't go away).

Edited to add - I have never had a slipping issue and agree not to over tighten.
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

I LOVE string or mohair girths. I haven't found a horse who isn't comfortable in one, including ones that get rubs or irritation form every other kind known to man. In general, you size them the same as any other girth OR one size larger because they do sometimes shrink when you wash them. I always use a string girth for schooling and if you can get a brown one that matches your saddle, they are great for show.

Not having the elastic prevents being able to over-tighten them-many, many people over-tighten elastic girths. Simply because they CAN go up all those extra holes doesn't mean they SHOULD. I also love when I can find a good used balding girth. A single elastic shaped leather girth would be my next choice.

I'm not a fan of neoprene or fleece (especially those fluffy fake fleece) girths with double elastic ends. IME they are slippery and the saddle can roll, even if they are tight (not to mention they can be overtightened even more with double ends. Plus neoprene gets SO sweaty underneath and I've had more than one horse lose hair from the smooth neoprene. The Wintec neoprene, I find, is a little better.

Shannon.Ryan, I mean a chestnut Thoroughbred,which are famously known for being very sensitive, why? because they can.

Thank you Henry, I feel pretty much the same way, I think I will give the string girth a go. Dover makes a nice brown one, but I do like the look of the natural too.

Quote Originally Posted by runwayz View Post
    Shannon.Ryan, I mean a chestnut Thoroughbred,which are famously known for being very sensitive, why? because they can.
    That's what I figured but I was just checking. Normally green is the only color I associate regularly
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!

I like my ADT anatomic, triple layer (so not too much stretch) elastic at both ends in brown color so it never looks dirty, leather girth. Nice, nice leather that is padded but isn't overly so. The anatomic works great for my slightly girth forward boy and I don't like to clean fleece. I did have to special order mine last summer in a 44" size and in brown rather then nut (now brown is the in stock color), but that didn't cost extra.

I do use a wintec straight for dressage for the same horse. Though one day I'll get around to getting a leather anatomic that isn't overly padded. In the winter he prefers the wintec covered with a black fleece sleeve - weirdo.

I use a mohair string girth on my boy. He galls HORRIBLY with neoprene girths.
    Life is short. Ride your best horse first.

I like the Wintec girths. And string. And some fabric ones that go in the washer that I got on sale from Tack of the Day. Hate fleece 'cuz it attracts burrs and stuff when you go "out in the wild." Which is every day for us. Shaped leather is always nice for dress up.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

I like those cheap fabric girths with the fake sheepskin. Never had a problem with rubs, ever, and since Aisha got some permanent raised areas from over tightening, I'm careful about that.

Though a nice leather girth would be nice. One of these days .
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I also have a red TB. I own five girths for him, two of which meet with his approval. The only thing he will agree to wear are those chafeless leather girths. His least favorite are the nylon girths with the fake fleece. They create a horrible pressure point at the very center of his chest.

If you order a string girth, just make sure you get mohair and not nylon. I use a mohair girth all the time in the summer and my horse likes it. In the winter, I more often use a neoprene or a fleece-lined girth, but I interchange all three of them regularly depending on what's being washed or what is at the front of my tack trunk, and my sensitive QH is fine with all of them. (:

Why no nylon? I have a couple of those and they're fine. And they go in the wash and come out sparkly clean.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

I have nylon as well, and no issues with it. It's cheaper than mohair and doesn't shrink like mohair when you wash them.

At risk of sounding old, I also used to love lamp-wick girths, but haven't been able to find those in YEARS.

I have a mohair girth and IMO it is too slippery and too stretchy. I thought my sensitive horse would prefer it to leather with elastic, but it allowed my saddle to slip forward and that makes him buck. Fail.

I personally love the Pro Choice sheepskin ones. I wish they still sold them, my guy outgrew his (my show girth) and it was probably my saddest realization of the show season.