The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Hi Hannahsmom, I just recently started the Terramycin and it seems helpful. I am using three meds, a antibiotic drop, serum and the terramycin 4Xday.. Plus atrophine 1Xday. While you would want your vets advice, I cant think of any reasons that it would be bad. Just use the Terramycin last and be sure to wait atleast 5 min between drops (i try to wait longer). Did your vet ever answer you about the serum? Do you have access to a opthamologist? If so i do reccomend seeing them, atleast to get a plan in place then your vet can follow up! Also i dont have the guardian mask yet...i ordered it and hopefully it will be here monday, cant wait to try it! Best of luck to you and your boy.

Thanks Kelony. I stopped the atropine some time ago as most times the eye seems reasonably comfortable since I went to twice a day with the herpes meds and once a day with Banamine. I thought my vet had pulled blood for serum but have not heard back from him on this and if he tried it. He was going to leave it for me to give but it hasn't shown up. This was several weeks ago. An allergy panel has been run as well as a cushings test (just in case that is interfering with healing). I think I'll start him on the terramycin, can't hurt, I have it, might as well try it. I sold my trailer a year ago so it is a bit of a hassle to get to a vet school or an opthamologist as closest is several hours away. We have small animal ones, wonder if any of them would be willing to travel to a barn? Wish this weather would settle down as my normal vet is so busy with colics and such.

You'll be happy to have your guardian eye mask. Expensive but you'll feel confident the eye is being protected as well as possible, and that means my guy gets some turnout.

It certainly won't hurt to try terramycin. It is one of the antibiotics my vet told me to use. However, after we cultured it, it turned out there was no infection in the eye. So in my case, switching to a different antibiotic did not help. If a culture was not done, your vet is just guessing at what antibiotic to use anyway.

Is there another vet you can use? You really need to give the serum a try, but I would have more drawn up now if it has been two weeks.

Some of the small animal ophthalmologists will work on horses, so you might try calling them to see if they can help. I would be totally frustrated if my vet was not responding!! I used to live in a one vet town, so I can understand that they get busy. But eye issues can go downhill fast and need to be addressed!

Yes, it is time to call someone else in

Got my guardian mask today. Funny looking but who cares if it helps. I know his vision is not great out of the treated eye but in combination with the mask, he seems blind on the one side. Hannahsmom, did it take some time for your guy to get used to it?

Kelony, yes, it really does block the light so I have one side with the 80% and the other side with the 95%. But they do get used to it, you just have to have people remember and treat the horse as if it had no sight on that side. With both covers at 95% it would be pretty dark if not in full light so something to keep in mind. It is dark enough that you are okay even with a horse with dilated eyes although I would still be leery of full sunlight. My old barn used to make fun of my guy in his mask because he looked like he was from outerspace. I call it his sunglasses and say he's a rock star which he is! They show pictures of horses being ridden in them so it is all about adjusting and thinking about going from dark to light and vice versa just like those of us with the eyeglasses that darken. It takes a bit longer to adjust to the change in light.

On a good note for me, just when I was in full despair the vet stopped out and stained the eye and there was no stain uptake! The outer surface is still rough and it is cloudy but we are going to go a bit radical and stop treatment other than the herpes meds. Keeping my fingers crossed. He will still wear the mask to keep from rubbing but I'm hoping.

I believe that serum spun from blood is only good for 5 days. If your vet has done this already and you haven't heard from him for 2 weeks, time to get some more blood drawn and ask specifically if he's going to come to drop it off or if you have to go pick it up!

I bought a blinker hood for mine when he had an ulcer. I couldn't find one with a full eye so bought the one with half eyes, took one off one side and sewed it to the other to make a full eye... Wasn't easy but it worked. (This is what was advised by the hospital and what they used on him while he was there for 5 days.)

If anyone wants it, pm me. It's the right eye but you could remove it and put it on the left if you have an upholstery needle and some heavy duty thread. I'm happy to ship it for the cost of shipping.

Default Jingles continue ~ AO ~

Jingles & AO continue ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Hannahsmom that is great news. I hope it continues on a upward trend! Thanks for the info on the mask. That is a great idea to order some of the 80% eyes and swap out the 95% on the good eye for the 80%. I looked thru the mask and it seems fine to me however i can see when you factor in the injured eye it might be tough. He's a trouper thou and it doesn't seem to bother him. He will wear this forever considering this is our 3rd indolent ulcer issue in less than 2 years!

I don't have a Guardian yet, but I think I will be ordering one soon! I have an Eye saver on mine still when he is in his stall. I was putting a blinker hood on him outside, under his fly mask, until he learned how to get it off. Now he is just going out at night in his fly mask. My issue is not so much blocking the light as it is keeping him from rubbing his eyes. He doesn't seem to be very light sensitive in normal conditions.

So not a great first day with the Guardian mask...While i cant say there was any issues specifically. My guys eye looked good this AM and not so good tonight. He stays in during the day and his stall is fairly dark but i thought the mask would help protect his eyes from rubbing. It may not be connected but nonetheless we have had a little setback

Sorry! I have had setbacks like this several times, both with and without the mask on. It is beyond frustrating! No one seems to be able to tell me why this happens, but I really think it is something internal (at least with my guy) and not caused by rubbing.

Kelony-I hope your setback is minor and your guy will heal quickly!

>>Sorry! I have had setbacks like this several times, both with and without the mask on. <<

Having been there, I just wanted to offer my sympathies. It is so frustrating. The opthamologist told me, in my mare's case, that the "layers" never healed correctly from the ulcer so the eye was always susciptible to further irritation. My mare also developed recurrent uveitis secondary to the ulcer. We treated with banamine and serum. I just remember every morning, coming into the barn and being afraid to look at her eye to see if she'd had another recurrance.

Fortunately it did not bother her too much, and she lived to be nearly 32.

(HUGS)
    In loving memory of Chutney (1977 - 2008)

My newest book, "Sandsablaze," available now!

Although we have been off the banamine and the meds for a couple of days now, it's not healing and he is keeping his eye only half open. Sigh. I think I'm in that mode several of you have mentioned where it is just not healing. I have been letting him be turned out in his guardian mask. At this point I'm kind of like 'why not'. This is so frustrating as in all the years we've had eye issues, none have lasted like this.

So sorry to hear this! When my guy's eye gets like this, I put some Atropine in there and it seems to help. And I start the banamine again. Thank goodness for COTH for teaching me that injectable banamine can be given orally! The price difference is significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post

I just remember every morning, coming into the barn and being afraid to look at her eye to see if she'd had another recurrance.
    Been there, done that!! Especially if I have to go out of town for a couple of days, my hand is practically shaking when I take off the fly mask!

Default ARGH!!

Eye was starting to look good again. Vet came out, started to debride it, everything that had healed was loose and not adhering. So she had to scrape all the loose cells away again and I am sure we are back to square one. Will this ever end??

So sorry Caryledee. I think we both did the stronger iodine treatjment..i feel like i will be in your same position on my check next Friday...It just doesnt seem to be healing. Ill keep wishing for you and everyone else having eye issues, they are the worst! Also, Caryledee, if you dont mind, could you PM me with your Terramycin contact? I am not sure if its helping but at this point, ill keep trying anything!

PM sent. I am so sorry yours is not healing either. There has GOT to be a way to get these things healed!! It is maddening. I'll be thinking of you on Friday!

Found this article, sounds exactly like what I am going through. It doesn't sound like much can be done.

I am going to send it to my vet tomorrow and see what she thinks...maybe we should try systemic dex.

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/op...nealulcers.pdf