Caryledee, I'm so sad to hear you tried the iodine without sucess. Hopefully the stronger tincture will be the key. We did the procedure yesterday too. My poor boy seemed so painful. To me, this seems as painful as the Kerotectomy. Ill let you know how it goes. I hope you see an improvement quickly and that they are both feeling better soon.
Just wondering how everyone is doing? I know the ulcer is bigger in my case too and the iodine caused the eye to be cloudy (i see a difference in his vision also) however he is much more comfortable now (back down to just a 1/2 banamine dose). My guys stayed at the clinic for a few days when this was done and i have to say it was a nice break from the medicating! Now back to 4 plus times a day....
Meds are atropine 1x day and Cipro and serum both 4x day. I was also told that if i could find terramycin, it could be added and was useful for indolent ulcers....It out of stock everywhere but i found one place and ordered it last night. Last year we used vorconazol (sp?) instead of the cipro.
Are you able to turn your guy out at all?
Mine is so much happier if he can have some time out but the eye definitely looks better when he stays in (i only turn out in the dark b/c of the atropine)...
Yes, it is horrible about the shortage of Terramycin. If buying stuff made overseas doesn't scare you, you can get it for $3 a tube. It is the real deal; the only difference is the instructions are not in English.
My guy was on Cipro forever...switched to Triple Antibiotic, then to Terramycin, now he is on something compounded. Honestly, I have not noticed any difference from one to the other, in terms of healing. The terramycin seemed to soothe his eye though, better than anything else. He reacts the worst when I put the serum in for some reason.
My guy is going out at night... I bring him in before it gets light. The last couple of times he was almost healed and then re-injured it again occurred in the stall with his mask on! I figured at that point that if he was outside part of the time, at least he would stay reasonably sane!
Interesting on the Terramycin, this site had the picture of the regular tube but it might come differently. I'll let you know and it wasn't any less expensive than normal. I don't know if I would be comfortable getting it overseas or not... I would prefer to have someone's feedback first! My guys also reacts the worst to the serum. I turned him out last night after his 10 pm medication and brought him in early and he was much happier... Makes being locked in during the day much better! Jingles to you !
Well I'm still on half dose of Banamine daily and just using the antibiotic. It is smaller but still large. Pain and itching is less. I have to laugh that we all obviously own the Guardian Eye Masks! This is going on week four for me, I have never had an ulcer last this long before.
Kelony-I have bought it from a woman who gets it overseas (Turkey I think.) It has the Pfizer logo on the box, but everything else is in a different language. I was leery at first so I tried it on my gelding with a little bit of a goopy eye. It cleared him up right away, so I did go ahead and use it on ulcer boy. The color is slightly different; it is more pale. She has a lot of positive feedback from people too.
Hannahsmom-Glad your guy is healing, even if it is slowly! Has your vet ever talked to you about using serum? I really think it is beneficial for most horses.
My vet is supposed to debride again tomorrow but I really hope she decides not too. I really don't want to start this over yet again!!
Sending jingles to you all. I went through this with my mare. She had the flap surgery without success this time. This was the second time for her. One bout as a 3 y.o. and the last at 14 y.o. She still has her blue eye for now and is comfortable. She adjusted to not having sight in it. It will come out if she shows sings of discomfort. I worry about the other eye. She has an assortment of fly masks. Get rest when you can the treatment is tough.
I just wanted to chime in again with jingles for all of you continuing this fight! I look at this thread at least once a day hoping I will see that someone has beat it! As I mentioned earlier, I ended up having the eye removed, but my guy had a bizarre fungus infection plus staph. On a good note, I am amazed at how well he is healing and how little difference the loss of the eye seems to have made as far as he is concerned. I really hope things turn around for the rest of you!
Thanks! His eye is still pretty blue from the stuff they did on Monday (debriding and some additional scraping with needle.) Dr. Brooks' recommendation was to "get angry with it." Hopefully this is going to turn it around...not sure what i will be doing if this continues over the holiday, as I will have to leave town.
I had a very old gent with a hateful corneal ulcer. He was so miserable I ended up putting him down but that is not the point of my story here today.
I took the old man's fly mask and sewed a piece of soft black fabric, double thick, inside the mask on the bad eye side. The mask was snug enough that no light got into his eye and he could proceed with his regular turnout schedule with his friends. It made him .000002% happier. Maybe that could help your boy be out during the day?
I hope you get some satisfaction for him. Mine would see me coming with the tiny tubes and fly to the back of his stall and tremble. Often times he'd move so fast he'd whack his (bad eye side) on the wall as he whirled. Our hearts were breaking and his best choice was to gallop over The Bridge. Better luck to you.
Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.
Riverbendpol, now we have the fancy Guardian Eye Mask. They even make them so you can ride in them! Mine has been wearing his 24x7 for the last four weeks. I have started turning out for an hour or so a day which he loves. But I have to be careful that it is not too dusty or anything that would cause stress to him an re-trigger the herpes.
I haven't read everyone's comments. And it sounds as if this isn't a normal injury. But my guy had an eye injury several years ago and I was to treat it several times a day. I did banamine to keep him comfortable. I think it was debrided once. It would improve to a point, but as soon as I backed off the banamine, he became uncomfortable. Finally, vet thought maybe I was treating it too much (irritating it)...and I thought I was being really dedicated! so I backed off to maybe once a day or every other day... I forget exactly and low and behold, it cleared up pretty quickly.
I've dealt with a ton of ulcers in the past. One in particular was very bad (I was on vacation) on an already one-eyed mare. She was completely blind by the time I arrived home. I did have someone staying here a whole nuther story.
3/4 of her eye was completely white! Not cloudy but white. I used the standard terramycin, atropine and blood serum. Kept her in a darkened stall with fly mask. In a month it was much improved but I could still detect a bit of cloudiness for a least a year.
Another aged mare developed chronic uveitis that would come and go for several years before her demise. I have assumed this was an immune response caused by the leptospirosis bacteria, common in my area. Have your vets ruled this out? As far as I have ever known their is no 'cure' and the horse will have recurring ulcers for their entire lives or at the very least for many years.
Thanks for sharing the stories everyone! It helps to know others have gone through this and gotten through it!
sunridge-yes, lepto was ruled out early on. My friend's horse had lepto and lost one eye. She had to be vigilant with the other eye or he got ulcers in that one as well.
mhtokay-that keeps crossing my mind too! He does seem to get irritated by the treatments more than anything else. But I am afraid to back off without the vet's permission and they don't think it is a good idea. So on we go...
Still battling this. My horse seems the same after 5 weeks. The vet isn't responding to my question as to whether I should try the Terrramycin (I have an unopened tube from a year or so ago) vs. the triple antibiotic. I'm ready to try it even though the vet has not given me the okay. Can anyone give me any reasons why this would be a bad idea? As in it could cause things to be worse?