The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Going for a check-up in the morning. I guess then I'll find out how much longer I might have to keep administering these salves, and what options there are. With the lavage system, would I have to stall him? He's still able to be out now, with a mask.

BTW, the insulin syringe works great (compared to finger or straight from the tube!). I did have a hard time finding them though. Both pharmacies in town wouldn't sell them to me unless I had a perscription Finally found some at the 3rd feed store I called.
    It's getting harder to buy syringes! I just pick them up at the vet clinic's pharmacy here, but now they make me sign a form on intended use.

I think they have to stay in their stall with the lavage in. I hope your check up goes well!

For those who have to deal with an eye ulcer for any length of time I suggest you try to get the lavage system in if you can. It saved my life and more than likely my mares eye.

I had treated the eye several times a day for forty nine days and it was killing me. She got harder and harder to deal with and I was never sure the meds actually were where they should be.

After the lavage system was in it was a snap. Still had to do meds four times a day after she got home from the hospital but she didn't mind and neither did I.

She was allowed to be turned out but wore one of those form fitting masks that had the hard dark plastic cover over the injured eye. They warned me to not ever turn her out with another horse as the rubbery tubes were exposed (braided into her mane).

Less than two weeks with the lavage system and she was cured! Didn't even have to do any meds at all when it came out.

Everyone who is having to deal with eye problems I wish you luck and speedy recovery.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Good ck. up this morning. Vet said about a 70% improvement. Still have to apply meds 4/day for another week, but down to once a day for the bantamine for just 3 more days.

I didn't even bring up the lavage system, because he is getting a little easier to deal with. Also, I had a mare come home from the clinic once with a catheter for me to give meds, and that didn't go well with turn out.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Sounds like she is doing fine without the lavage! Here's hoping it will be healed in another week!

Updates please? I need some success stories. My guy is still dealing with a large ulcer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahsmom View Post
    Updates please? I need some success stories. My guy is still dealing with a large ulcer.
    Go over what you have tried so far. My guy is healed after 5 months, but there were so many things I tried in the last 2 months. The first three months he was treated very conservatively and it just wasn't enough. IMO, he would not have healed if we had not gotten fairly aggressive. I think it was the debriding (probably 5 times) and possibly the adequan that made the difference.
    Good luck...don't get discouraged. If my guy can beat this, I think anyone can!

You said you were giving .25 cc three times a day. I can't medicate three times a day due to work, would it make sense for me to give .5 cc twice a day? And how did you do this? Did you draw out a fair amount into a syringe and then just change out needles or use a fresh needle and syringe each time? And I am assuming you were giving regular IM, right?

Finally home with internet service!

The Adequan goes directly into the eye. It would be worth trying twice a day; I would still just do 1/4 cc at a time because I think a large amount would just run out over the eyelid.

I just used 1 needle, since it was not going into anything but the Adequan vial. I drew up a little extra into a clean syringe and then pushed the extra back into the vial. That was the easiest way to get rid of the air bubbles. Then I unsnapped the needle and used the syringe to medicate the eye. It worked for me, but I started with a debrided eye. Happy to say he is looking great after going 3 days with no meds at all. I really think it is over for me!!

One other suggestion...my vet told me it is worth medicating more often, even if you are doing it every half hour. It doesn't have to be spread out over the day to be beneficial. So when I was using the Adequan, I would do it in the morning, after work, and then after barn chores, right before I left the barn. So if you can hang out at your barn for an hour or so, you could try the Adequan 3 x a day. Good luck!

Glad I asked. I didn't realize you dripped it directly onto the eye, that sounds easy enoug. I'll call my vet to talk about debriding. At the moment, it is calm and healing again but having been thru this multiple times, I know it is just temporary. And I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your boy! Wishing the best for you.

Can they be left with a cloudy area once the ulcer has healed?